Thread: 348 DIY "Restoration"

Name
    Eugenio

Any activity during the last two weeks?

Ciao

Eugenio

Name
    Dan

Default Which rust preventative did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by irarref View Post
    Once further rubbing down of any other rust spots ws done I gave the entire rear area a coat of rust preventative paint.

Next day I overcoated it with the truck bed liner to give it a nice even finish.

May I ask what rust preventative product did you use? More specifically, was it a spray or brush on product? Your thread is fantastic and I have enjoyed the few pages I've had the time to read. I will go back and try to read through more of it!!!

Name
    Jeff

Hi Dan thank you :-)

Have a look at the few pages starting on link below:

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...113#post730113

It's POR-15 but do the wwhole process with metal prep etc. I actually did this 5-1/2 years ago and its as good as the day I did it - it's a bit like powder coating by hand without the heat etc obviouslyAs regars removing the old rust I used Bilt Hamver deox that is available under various brand names wherre you get either a solt to make a gentle acidic mix ofr the gel where a part cant be removed from the car.

smilesoffun is offline Pink pimped up Vauxhall Corsa Club Member
    Name
    michael

Default Fantastic

Read it all and very helpful. Well done

Do you still have the car

Name
    Jeff

Thank you Michael - I certainly do! :-)

I'm hoping to get back on it over Christmas holidays - just had so much on over last 18 months that Ive just not had a minute spare to work on it much to my shame.

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Is it too soon to nag Jeff

665k views .... wowsers.

Name
    Jeff

LOL

I have actualy been doing a little bit over the holidays....I've been researching trying to find the an alternative for the brake cylinder dust seals. Bought a couple of sets but no jpoy so far so not posted up my fails! :-(

Hope to do a bit tomorrow

Name
    GQ

That's interesting Jeff as I always use 'Bigg Red' to refurbish my calipers but they have mentioned that the 348 is probably the only ones they can't restore!

Name
    Jeff

Yeah, I've had dealings with them too but couldnt find a match.

I'm currently been earching ebay etc for "ATE 40mm PISTON" and "ATE 36MM PISTON" and try and woik out whether they are compatible - bought 3 sets so far with no joy.

Hoping to talk to a compay called fentech and see if I can get a match

Name
    Jeff

Well, where do I start???!!!!

For many reasons this project had stalled big time but with the Welsh weekender coming up next weekend I've finally pulled my finger out! LOL

The main sticking point for me was that I couldn't get the rebuilt air conveyor back into the "hole" where it goes ie the area where the panel was replaced and welded etc. In my mind I had convinced myself that somehow it had either been welded wrong making it too small to accept the conveyor or I had somehow riveted the conveyor together making it bigger than it used to be!

Bit difficult to tell here but the air conveyor wouldn't slide far enough into the recess so you couldn't put the rubber fittings and radiators back :-(

Name:  Air_Conveyor_001.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  59.8 KB

Assuming it was the way i had riveted the air conveyor back together I tried fitting the old damaged one back in but that didn't fit either - was beginning to get quite worried at this point as only other option was that it had been welded together wrong which would be a massive setback.

Name:  Air_Conveyor_002.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  76.4 KB

And that's pretty much how I left it. Anyway, I decided I needed to so something one way or another and after measuring it to check against other side I concluded it was welded ok, the air conveyor was still correct size and it must be me not fitting it correctly.

So whilst everyone was out and I had some peace and quiet I decided to just take my time and just be persistent. In the end I just put it in as far as it would go and then just wiggled it around. It soon became obvious that it was in fact the engine cover release cable that was block progress so I hitched that out the way and tried again....success!!!!

Still looks like it doesn't fit/match with holes but that's just the camera angle.

Name:  Air_Conveyor_005.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  39.0 KB

You have to push the front blades down a bit to tuck them under front so everything lies properly.

Name:  Air_Conveyor_004.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  28.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images