Page 3 of 228 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 348 DIY "Restoration"

stevew is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Expert
    Name
    Steve

Nice work Jeff, looks like you got a bargain there

Mulc is offline Girl's Porsche Boxster Club Member
    Name
    Malcolm

Great job. However I am a little concerned that the 3M polish you are using is a fast cut. Very easy to "bust" through the laquer!! Especially on edges!!!
    One can add a little water to make it less abrasive but can make one hell of a mess. Keep up the good work chum.
    I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.

Name
    Phil Worrall

Quote Originally Posted by Mulc View Post
    Great job. However I am a little concerned that the 3M polish you are using is a fast cut. Very easy to "bust" through the laquer!! Especially on edges!!!
    One can add a little water to make it less abrasive but can make one hell of a mess. Keep up the good work chum.
    I don't think 348's had a lacquer finish, just a basic red paint......

P

Name
    Jeff

Don't worry about the fast cut - its just to get some of the more major swirl/scratching out. Its mostly being done with just swirl remover :-)

Anyway as mentioned I wasn't happy about "blackness" of the back so took the grill off again today

Name:  IMAG0143.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0144.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0145.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  51.7 KB

So a light application of meguiars endurance tyre gel was applied to all the black surfaces and after it was allowed to dry any excess was wiped off with a cloth. Leaves a really nice shiny finish and is dry to the touch. Think theyre missing a trick in the marketing there! :-)

Name:  IMAG0148.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0149.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  73.1 KB

I use a farecla powerball to clean awkward spaces such as the rear bumper, lights and crevices etc. Really useful too. This was used in conunction with poorboys swirl remover followed by poorboys black hole then collinite polish and finally a wipe over with megs last touch.

Name:  IMAG0146.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  51.9 KB

To make it easier to put the screws in the centre of the grill back I wrap a tiny bit of tape round it to tape it to the screw driver - just pull away once the screw is started.

Name:  IMAG0151.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  34.9 KB

Put the new new number plate on using double sided adhesive tape - almost spells Ferrari ;-')

Name:  IMAG0152.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  64.0 KB

Name
    Jeff

Forgot to mention that the existing number plate adhesive was removed with panel wipe an dthe outer grill was wiped down with panel wipe then a coat of G-Techniq permanant trim restorer.

Name
    Greg

Funny, just logged in at work and now i can see all the pics! Car looks great

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Funny, just logged in at work and now i can see all the pics! Car looks great
    Maybe it's something to do with your IE settings? I'm using IE 9 with sercurity set medium-high and privacy medium. I know IE obviously downloads pictures last, maybe your settings are stopping this happen? Just a thought.

p.s. If your wondering about the time this is being written, try telling a 3 and 5 year old that the clocks went back. Exercise in futility!

Name
    Jeff

The bodywork being clean was starting to make the wheels look dirty so had a little go at them. I intend to take them off and do them all properly but in the meantime I thought Id give them a bit of a smarten up just so they dont look let the car down.

After spraying a bit of virosol on the calipers I used a toothbrush plus wheel brush to give themn a bit of a scrub.

Name:  IMAG0165.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0166.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  37.1 KB

Not perfect bit a great improvement :-)

Name:  IMAG0164.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  IMAG0167.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  38.1 KB

Name
    Jeff

Ive already cleaned my wheels with virosol which got most of the muck off but theres always the problem of sticky bits of tar and in my case sticky bits from where stick on weights have been removed.

Name:  IMAG0173.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  35.5 KB

Panel wipe to the rescue again! :-) Used a rag dipped in panel wipe to wipe the wheel over which disolves tar and weakens the sticky making it very easy to then scrape off with your finger nail. With most of it off just rub it again with panel wipe and it disappears.

Name:  IMAG0174.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  40.9 KB

After cleaning i used some chemical guys wheel sealant to stop the brake dust adhering and treated the tyres to some meguiars endurance gel. Finished result:

Name:  Wheels 001.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  64.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0175.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  60.8 KB

At some stage I'll do a proper job and remove the wheels and clean the calipers and all the backs of the wheels properly but for the moment that will have to do.
    Last edited by irarref; 30-10-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Name
    Jeff

Had a little go at the inside too:

Door end was treated with virosol and scrubbed with a toothbrush then dried off and wioed over with panel wipe

Name:  IMAG0162.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  66.8 KB

Ive used loads of upholstery cleaners but despite its cheap price Ive always got th best reults with the cheap one from Tesco :-)

Name:  IMAG0159.jpg
Views: 1335
Size:  41.3 KB

Just spray on - leave for about 30 secs and then wipe with a damp cloth - the idea is that the dirt is lifted out the cloth.

Name:  IMAG0160.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  63.0 KB

Hers the door finished. The leather was treayed with a leather and vinyl cleaner and scrubbed with a soft nail brush which brought all the nasty black marks out. It was then given a very light spray with cockpit shine and wiped over just so it didn't look dull.

Name:  IMAG0161.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  57.7 KB

Page 3 of 228 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast