Page 5 of 230 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: 348 DIY "Restoration"

Name
    Ned Schneebly

Not a 348, but from the same era, my Tetarossa has no problem changing gear from 1st to 3rd, 4th and 5th when cold. I don't even go near second gear until it's warmed up.

irarref is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

I dont think there ius anything wrong with the gearbox - its just a bit sticky for first 5 mins. I was hoping the oil would eradicate that.

As regards stripping with brake fluid - I got that off a airfix model person who strips paint off - supposed to be very effective.

Iain is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by irarref View Post
    I dont think there ius anything wrong with the gearbox - its just a bit sticky for first 5 mins. I was hoping the oil would eradicate that.
    Any idea what's in it now or when it was last changed? "Shock proof" probably refers to Redline Shockproof but I'd be inclined to go with some Redline 75W90 to start with & see how that goes. SteveW or Sy etc will be along in a minute to tell you whether you need the "NS" or the standard version!

AFAIK the gear linkage on the 348 can sometimes need looking into so you might want to have a look at that to make sure its all as it should be.

Name
    Rob

Brake fluid should be fine, I'm a bit of an 'Airfix person' and that seems to be the most common method. Just dont leave it in for too long and forget about it otherwise you will only have a container of brake fluid when you come back

Depending on what you are trying to strip off isoproyl alcohol might do the job and not be quite as 'harsh'.

Name
    Jeff

From what Ive seen your supposed to be able to leave it in as long as you like which TBH makes sense as brake fluid resevoirs are plastic - but car body paintwork will be stripped if fluid gets on it. I was imagining its the same principle.

Name
    Jeff

Just ordered some new spark plugs DR8EIX - hope to set about giving it a bit of a service next week :-)

Also ordered some ignition wires out of morbid curiosity.

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...ighlight=xc808

Name
    Rob

From what Ive seen your supposed to be able to leave it in as long as you like which TBH makes sense as brake fluid resevoirs are plastic - but car body paintwork will be stripped if fluid gets on it. I was imagining its the same principle.
    True, perhaps that was a painted resin part I was thinking of then

RobC is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Rob

Ok cheers for that Ill look into that! :-)

I did notice the plastic and seats thread. I was intending to have a go at the plastics myself first using that little vent on the dash just by your right knee. The intention was to dip it in brake fluid or try fairy powerclean which are supposed to strip stuff from plastic without damaging it! hence the experiment on the smallest piece I can find.

I've been told that the feel of the box from cold can be improved by using shock proof oil?! Not sure whether I have that right????

Must admit I'm struggling a bit with the gear changing - its the one thing marring the enjoyment of the car. I am getting better at it but still get caught out now and again and often feel like I'm in the wrong gear. I have noticed however that if I really rev it and accelerate like a yob ;-') before changing it goes in smoothly. Generally get the impression that the car was not designed to go slow or be tootled about in! LOL

Jeff, you should never thrash it from cold, always allow it to get to temp (195),and let the oil temp come off the bottom stop,by doing this,you'll prolong the life of your gearbox,and by then you'll be able to change through all gears with out effort, and skip 2nd until warm

Name
    Jeff

Folks I've not been thrashing it from cold!!!! All I'm saying is that I think its very notchy at first but after about 5 mins this disappears. I was just wondering whether a different oil would eliminate this so the gearbox acts like its already warmed up from the word go. Also, I was just saying I noticed that it seems to appreciate quite high revs when it comes to smooth changes (once its warmed up). I dont think my car has a fault or is any different from anyone elses - was just wondering about the "shock proof" oil I'd heard about.

stevew is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Expert
    Name
    Steve

Folks I've not been thrashing it from cold!!!! All I'm saying is that I think its very notchy at first but after about 5 mins this disappears. I was just wondering whether a different oil would eliminate this so the gearbox acts like its already warmed up from the word go. Also, I was just saying I noticed that it seems to appreciate quite high revs when it comes to smooth changes (once its warmed up). I dont think my car has a fault or is any different from anyone elses - was just wondering about the "shock proof" oil I'd heard about.
    Jeff, I've used the redline stuff in both mine and really only noticed a minor difference.The gearchange is probably the worst part of the 348 because it is cable operated.The cables can be adjusted but take a bit of time and patience.You can adjust under the gearlever and/or and the gearbox end, both from under the car.

This is the gearbox end.I haven't got a pic to hand of the other end.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 5 of 230 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast