Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carcoon, Airchamber, Dehumidifier???

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Default Carcoon, Airchamber, Dehumidifier???

Ok, been thinking about getting a Carcoon or similar but just have a few minor things I want to clear up.

At the moment I've got a dehumidifier running in the garage. The problem is it's just too draughty, the dehumidifier doesn't reach the Relative Humidity I've got set, and as a result the 'few pence a day to run' is currently 35 per month (according to one of those irritating energy monitor things my wife has plugged in!). A Carcoon should pay for itself in under a year. I do have a few questions to see if it's a good idea though.

First is what RH can I expect inside the Carcoon? I can't find anything on the site that says either how dry the air gets or even how it dries the air. If the air circulates inside the carcoon, and you don't empty water anywhere, how does it dry it? Surely any water in nooks and crannies on the car will just stay in the chamber. Clearly I'm missing something somewhere. I'm not going to necessarily run my car everytime I open the carcoon so can't really rely on the heat of the engine to dry the car, I need the air itself to be dry and any water to be taken out of it. This being the case can you run a dehimidifier inside a carcoon or does it mess with the overpressure concept. I'm guessing a wire going in just breaks the seal?

My garage is pretty tight, even for my little 348. If I park with enough room to get out of one side, there's no room to get down the other. This being the case, how do you zip it up? I've seen one in a garage with the car right next to the wall so it must be possible. Any pointers?

Access. My love affair with my new car is still in its infancy; I do some work on her most evenings (ok, I just fiddle with stuff) so I may be looking at a framed unit if I can get one that fits pretty much perfectly. Anyway, looking at the Veloce it looks like access is only through the side and the end you drive out of, is this the case? The door into my house is at the bonnet end of the garage, as it were, so with this model I'm guessing the only way to get into it is by going outside and coming in through the garage door, is this right or is there access through the bonnet end as well as the garage door end? If not I'm looking at the standard Carcoon but is it going to be a tad awkward to put up and down most evenings, even with the nifty up in the roof setups that I've seen? Also can you get into the carcoon from anywhere? Does it just depend where you finish zipping it up? Is an Airchamber any better for access ie can you access it through anywhere?

Lots of questions I know but appreciate any info.

Pete

Name
    Chris Boddy

Default Carcoon

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Ok, been thinking about getting a Carcoon or similar but just have a few minor things I want to clear up.

At the moment I've got a dehumidifier running in the garage. The problem is it's just too draughty, the dehumidifier doesn't reach the Relative Humidity I've got set, and as a result the 'few pence a day to run' is currently 35 per month (according to one of those irritating energy monitor things my wife has plugged in!). A Carcoon should pay for itself in under a year. I do have a few questions to see if it's a good idea though.

First is what RH can I expect inside the Carcoon? I can't find anything on the site that says either how dry the air gets or even how it dries the air. If the air circulates inside the carcoon, and you don't empty water anywhere, how does it dry it? Surely any water in nooks and crannies on the car will just stay in the chamber. Clearly I'm missing something somewhere. I'm not going to necessarily run my car everytime I open the carcoon so can't really rely on the heat of the engine to dry the car, I need the air itself to be dry and any water to be taken out of it. This being the case can you run a dehimidifier inside a carcoon or does it mess with the overpressure concept. I'm guessing a wire going in just breaks the seal?

My garage is pretty tight, even for my little 348. If I park with enough room to get out of one side, there's no room to get down the other. This being the case, how do you zip it up? I've seen one in a garage with the car right next to the wall so it must be possible. Any pointers?

Access. My love affair with my new car is still in its infancy; I do some work on her most evenings (ok, I just fiddle with stuff) so I may be looking at a framed unit if I can get one that fits pretty much perfectly. Anyway, looking at the Veloce it looks like access is only through the side and the end you drive out of, is this the case? The door into my house is at the bonnet end of the garage, as it were, so with this model I'm guessing the only way to get into it is by going outside and coming in through the garage door, is this right or is there access through the bonnet end as well as the garage door end? If not I'm looking at the standard Carcoon but is it going to be a tad awkward to put up and down most evenings, even with the nifty up in the roof setups that I've seen? Also can you get into the carcoon from anywhere? Does it just depend where you finish zipping it up? Is an Airchamber any better for access ie can you access it through anywhere?

Lots of questions I know but appreciate any info.

Pete
    Carcoon is definetely worth it. But as you're saying accn is tight the right one may well be req'd. I've not got a lot of space around the car (355), but I can access all sides and with a standard carcoon this access is req'd.

As part of the design I've rigged a ceiling point pulley with cord to 6 points on the top 'clam' part of the carcoon and this drops over the car like a 'mouse trap' but you then need to zip all 4 sides in from the outside. You can position it so that one end (nose or tail) is permanently zipped and pull it up and away from this end. But the start and end point of the base zip system is only at one corner, either front right or back left depends how you part in front or rear.

This hanging design feature on the standard one does reduce space. But the Veloce is the solution for you by the sounds of it, besides the Veloce seems easier for all circumstances as it is drive in and out with a door at one end and I'll be getting this one next for the other car which is not in one:

http://www.carcoon.co.uk/indoor-veloce.html

It is so cheap to run, I don't even notice and has a built in optimate, so I have one spare to use on other items! Even a dust cover doesn't keep it completely clean, but the carcoon is sealed and gives better protection. It doesn't dry the air as such, just circulates it with 2 low voltage fans on one end and vent at the other, which is adjustable to let air, moist or otherwise, out. It does dry the car with light airflow and as its sealed the main thing is to keep out long term moisture from accessing the vehicle. I do have a heated garage mind, but nothing fancy, just a normal multi port garage with an elec fan heater inside which helps.

Does this help? More Q's ask, I'll happily give my opinion.
    Last edited by chris355; 22-01-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Name
    Phil Worrall

I have used a carcoon for the last five years and it does a good job. It does NOT dry the air, it just helps to keep a constant atmosphere and therefore reduce the chance of meeting the dew point.
    A lot of people believe that it is the fans blowing that keep the condensation away, I don't think this is the case at all.

I use a dehumidifier inside the carcoon and collect approximately a pint of water a week and most of that occurs in the first day or so of fitting. I only run the dehumidifier for about three hours a day so its not expensive and I am not trying to dehumidify the world either.

I have never seen condensation inside the carcoon except on damp November nights on the floor where the cover touches the cold concrete. This is the point where there is the greatest temperature difference and allows condensation, not surprisingly.
    This year I have the floor covered in flat large old cardboard boxes. No condensation at all, anywhere, works a treat
    I hang my carcoon from the garage roof like Chris, it makes it easy to install and it keeps it out of the way and safe.

The only time a carcoon can dry the air is when you put a damp HOT car into the carcoon and leave the exhaust vent open. Once dry close the vent to help stabilise the atmosphere again.

HTH

P

Name
    Nos

Cheers both, really helpful. I'll obviously have to run a dehumidifier then as half the time I'm just messing about with my car rather than driving so she won't be warm when I close up the chamber. My only problem at the moment is that I'd really like a solution that opens at both ends so I can get at the car from my house. May have to chat to carcoon as I know they custom build, maybe they can just add a zip to a Veloce?

Cheers for the info.

Pete

MoreThanPolish is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Sponsor
    Name
    Mark Wibberley

A few bits of info which may be helpful.

All of these chamber-type systems will only blow ambient air through the system, so no pre-drying of it before it comes in, and its the movement of air that will stop air settling to form condensation, and gradually dry the water off the car - which is course it will do better when the ambient air is warmer, not so well in winter.

The AirChamber has a door at one end but side doors for personal entry both sides, and its zips are not on the ground so they do not collect grit off your garage floor/tyres, unlike the Veloce where you have to drive over them.

The AC frame is designed to flex, useful if you hit it with your car as you'll not damage either, the Veloce is metal so will bend both.

AC fabric is heavy duty plastic, the Veloce seems to be a linen-type cloth and is obvoiusly lighter weight judging by the size of the box it comes in. This raises a durability question for me.

There is also less roof support, only 1 cross pole, so whilst it won't sag onto the car, it doesn't feel as well supported as an AC.

I don't have many user anecdotes to add, but Audi UK have 54 AirChambers to store their historic cars in, and Bentley sell the AirChamber as an Approved Accessory.

A price comparison is for the AC suitable for most V8 Ferraris, the 5.2 x 2.2 wide unit, currently 499, compared to the Veloce 5.38 x 2.3 which is 544.80. Add carraige of 19.20 for a Veloce, and where we only charge 3.95 it does work out quite a bit more pricey. Make up your own mind if you think its worth it.

Regarding the OPs entry issues, an AC will therefore suit you much better as you can get in one of the side doors without going outside. I hope that helps.

Name
    Nos

Thanks for that. Regarding entry, the Veloce has side entry, that's not really the issue. My snag is my garage is single width so either unit is pretty close to the wall. I really need entry at the front of the car. The only other issue that I hadn't thought of, and may make me have to opt for a bubble, is that my garage door opens by tilting out at the bottom but in at the top (if that makes sense). Unless I change the door I can't get a frame in and open the door. Makes either frame option a tad pricey.

My other half did, in a fit of madness, ask why I don't just get a builder in, put in a ceiling, plaster the walls, new floor and sealed garage door, sort of a proper room for my car. She did say something about having another room on the house when I sell my car but clearly she was just joking. Oddly may not be such a daft option.

irarref is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

If your garage is not much bigger than your car why dont you turn your garage into a Carcoon???!!!!

Before spending hundreds of pounds you could fit a door seal for about 30 and see if that helps? You wouldn't lose any access etc and it may reduce your leccy bill to boot! :-)

http://www.weatherstop.co.uk/

Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by irarref View Post
    If your garage is not much bigger than your car why dont you turn your garage into a Carcoon???!!!!

Before spending hundreds of pounds you could fit a door seal for about 30 and see if that helps? You wouldn't lose any access etc and it may reduce your leccy bill to boot! :-)

http://www.weatherstop.co.uk/
    Thanks mate. Thing is its air getting in rather than water so I need to seal the whole door a little better. A quick trip to B&Q and some stick on brush type draught excluders have helped a tad. The other issue is my garage is made from breeze blocks, as many are, and you get concrete dust on the car which isn't ideal. May look at a bit more sealing as an interim measure but long term I'm going to want something better and the idea of a totally clean garage appeals quite a bit. Besides, already picked out what pictures I want on the walls......

MoreThanPolish is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Sponsor
    Name
    Mark Wibberley

These may be handy to seal your garage:

http://www.carcovershop.co.uk/Gap-Stop.asp

Veloce has only 1 door - which therefore may be the wrong side for your tight garage - AC has 2.

Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post
    These may be handy to seal your garage:

http://www.carcovershop.co.uk/Gap-Stop.asp

Veloce has only 1 door - which therefore may be the wrong side for your tight garage - AC has 2.
    I could have done with that on my last garage!

I used a length of garden hose slit along it's length and screwed to the bottom of the garage door. The above would work better than my cheapo option. That said it did keep the leaves and most of the draft out and reduce the risk of mice getting in.

As mentioned you need all round access to zip the standard Carcoon up unfortunately. I am considering a dehumidifier of sorts for inside the Carcoon. The garage mine currently lives is in damp and a little cold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast