Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New F430 owner!

Name
    Jeremy

Default New F430 owner!

Hi all

I'm new to this forum but have just picked up a new (to me) F430, photo attached below from yesterday's Auto-Italia day at Brooklands.

I'm doing lots of reading at the moment but one burning issue is that changing into 2nd gear (either up from 1st or down from 3rd etc) is an absolute pig. It probably only goes in 1 in 3 times!

It seems slightly better when cold than warm which seems strange to me.

I would obviously take back to the dealer (Ferrari main) but it is a very long drive (5 hours plus). Further complicated by the fact I am taking the car to Barcelona for the F1 next thursday.

I have heard a transmission oil change often helps with difficult shifting but this seems more severe? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers

Jez
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Sarah

Great looking car!

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Hi Jez, great looking car

I'll leave the forum 'experts' to answer your shifting question but it does seem odd to me. Firstly the 2nd gear shifting issues is more with the older cars like my 348. Post that I think it was no longer an issue. Also, the snags are when cold not hot so I don't think that's it. Mine is actually pretty slick even when cold but I know some other 348s and before are a pig (or impossible) to get 2nd when cold. When the box heats up there's no issue so I'd say it's something else. Good luck finding a cure

And enjoy the GP. Not at all jealous.

Name
    Mallard

nice car
    does the gear selection problem only happen at higher revs?

Name
    jos

Default Welcome & enjoy

I remember thinking what a handsome car yesterday

Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    Hi all

I'm new to this forum but have just picked up a new (to me) F430, photo attached below from yesterday's Auto-Italia day at Brooklands.

I'm doing lots of reading at the moment but one burning issue is that changing into 2nd gear (either up from 1st or down from 3rd etc) is an absolute pig. It probably only goes in 1 in 3 times!

It seems slightly better when cold than warm which seems strange to me.

I would obviously take back to the dealer (Ferrari main) but it is a very long drive (5 hours plus). Further complicated by the fact I am taking the car to Barcelona for the F1 next thursday.

I have heard a transmission oil change often helps with difficult shifting but this seems more severe? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers

Jez
    Many congrats on the car.

Without wishing to be the bearer of bad news, I think you need to get it checked out under warranty. My manual 430 coupe was very smooth on all it's changes, hot or cold, up or down, had it for 2 years and the gearbox was one of the smoothest I've experienced, especially considering the performance. If yours is actually worse once it is warm it suggests something that needs addressing sooner rather than later.

Name
    Paul

My Manual 430 is also very good,

I believe they have a issue with the bush in the gear lever giving issues like you say, mine were changed before i got the car

Here is a link to one on the 360 same as the 430 i think,

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...281#post682281

Also the linkage at the rear of the gear box is by the exhaust and can dry the gease out and give issues, this goes along with yours been worse when hot.

Name
    Steve Field

Had a similar problem with my manual 360 turned out to be I believe the thrust release bearing, if I remember rightly. Problem it's a gearbox out job.

Name
    Jeremy

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I had been skipping 2nd but after another drive today I seem to have developed a knack to get it into gear (balance of being firm but not pressing too hard).

Something definately isn't quite right but at least when it goes it there are no strange noises.

Anyway, loving the Ferrari ownership experiance so far (that noise is just amazing) and looking forward to getting to some new events / meets over the summer.

markst is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX
    Name
    Mark

what a great looking car.....

my 430s gearbox was fine, and as already suggested i would get it looked at by a dealer - prob the bush or needs greasing....

very very pretty

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast