Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 348 vent removal

Name
    ian

Default 348 vent removal

rather than hi-jack 348 renovation thread !!

tried removing the drivers vent so that i can de sticky it, the top clip is easy to get to, but the side one on my car looks like somebody has already
    had a go and made a mess of it. ...would it help if i take off the instrument binnacle ???

also, once you've pushed the clips in how do you pull out the vents without causing damage ????

dave964 is online now No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Note that you don't push the clips IN - you lever them OUT.

I prised the vents out with a flat bladed screwdriver. If you lever the clip at the top, you should be able to lever the vent out slightly - then do the same for the clip at the side, and lever the bottom out slightly.

They are tight though.

Name
    ian

found the top clip easy, but looks like the side clip has been butchered !! used a small screw driver as per on the thread here but to no avail, can't
    ease it out like the top one...i thought if i take out the instrument cluster i can get to it but not sure, also, ive used a pair of long nose pliers to pull on the vent once i thought the clip had released, again no joy. scared o breaking anything

dave964 is online now No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

I don't think taking out the instrument cluster will help - I don't remember seeing the other side of the clip when I took mine out to do the speakers. But, it's a 2 min job to find out - it's only held in by a couple of screws.

irarref is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

There are 4 pegs holding it in place but its the 2 accessible through the vent which really matter - get a thin slotted screwdriver and go through the vent and press the clip towards center of vent not push away - will put a better pic tomorrow. In meantime heres some pics...

Name:  IMAG2294.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  IMAG2288.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  IMAG2289.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  IMAG2290.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  IMAG2291.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  IMAG2292.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  IMAG2293.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  54.9 KB

Name
    ian

will try again, but the clip to the left seems to have been 'worked on' and now i can't get the small screw driver behind the clip to ease it towards the centre,
    otherwise...how does the centre part of the vent come out ? from your previous post it seems to just pull out from the right side !!
    Last edited by Yorkshirelad; 18-07-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Name
    Jeff

Did the passenger one today and took some pics - have a look here

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...885#post718885

Name
    ian

Jeff, Managed to get the vent out, definatley been out before!! Ended up pulling the top left away and breaking the clip, once out i found the one on the left had been ruined by previous owner, hence the problem getting it out. The little small clips that hold the vanes were broken, so have decided to glue in place at a slight angle as it seemed there was little option, the vent was not used anyway !!.
    Once out i tried using sticky stuff remover but this was not working too well. Wife gave me some Amways oven cleaner, used neat with a tooth brush and the sticky stuff falls off in seconds, then rinse as you go along, already to paint now,
    Next task is the central unit !!!

Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshirelad View Post
    Jeff, Managed to get the vent out, definatley been out before!! Ended up pulling the top left away and breaking the clip, once out i found the one on the left had been ruined by previous owner, hence the problem getting it out. The little small clips that hold the vanes were broken, so have decided to glue in place at a slight angle as it seemed there was little option, the vent was not used anyway !!.
    Once out i tried using sticky stuff remover but this was not working too well. Wife gave me some Amways oven cleaner, used neat with a tooth brush and the sticky stuff falls off in seconds, then rinse as you go along, already to paint now,
    Next task is the central unit !!!
    Some of my tabs have become weakened so Ive reinforced them with some bostik adhesive - have a look on my thread for details.

Like the sound of the amway cleaner as that sounds like the elusive "easy off" Ive been trying to get my hands on!

Is it this stuff as Ill buy some - unless your mrs sells it LOL

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amway-Gel-...#ht_500wt_1202

Name
    ian

thats the stuff, we've had it the cupboard for ten years or so !! never thought of trying it till you mentioned easy-off.
    I was amazed how quickly it works, 15 seconds or so from on to rinse off using tooth brush.

have you had the centre vent out yet, i've had a quick try but seems to be held in very well, even after the tabs have been pushed down.
    will have a better look later today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast