Thread: Tyres - again

Arron is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Arron

Default Tyres - again

Had the tread delaminate on one of my rears last night on the M20 whilst 'at speed' - quite a scary experience although having to be recovered home the last 20 miles was worse !

I knew the Pirellis were on their last innings to be honest but had hoped they would see me through the summer but hey-ho. Question now is what choice to replace them ? I'm split between replacing them with another pair of Pirellis so that they match the two remaining and good tyres on the front or possibly putting something more 'modern' on instead. I know there have been a few threads recently about this but more concentrating on replacing all 4 tyres. What is the concencus on having mixed brands on the car ? I don't drive like a loony or anything but after yesterday I'm buggered if I am going to put anything on the car other than a top brand so instead of the Pirelli I was considering either Continental Sport Contact 3 or maybe Michelin Pilot Super Sport ?

Name
    Andrew

I run mixed between front and rear. Not killed me yet

I've run Conti's on my GTR. Good grip, wet and dry. Can't comment on wear as I sold the car. Can't comment on noise as the whole car was loud.

On the 355, I've run Pirelli, Kuhmo, Bridgestone, Falken and Michelin so far.
    Not so keen on the Falkens for some reason (can't really pinpoint why though). That said, breakaway is nice a progressive and they drove perfectly OK.
    Didn't rate the Pirellis either. No better in terms of grip, wore out quicker than the others and cost a lot.

Nothing to choose between the Bridgestone or the Kuhmo. Both excellent tyres and both lasted about the same, Kuhmo had slightly more grip in the dry, about the same in the wet.

Currently on Michelins. Early days but so far so good.

I'll be putting the Alpina back onto the Kuhmo's next as they murder everythng else on bang for buck.

Anyway, that's just my limited experience.

I'm sure the usual crowd will latch onto the two usual arguments of having to run the same brands on front and rear and that performance and price are a linear relationship etc etc...

Its not what I've found.

Name
    Aldous Voice

I've got a pair of Pirelli 360 rears that are a little over the wear bars. I think they are the same size as the 355 - the 360 runs 275/40/18. They are good tyres and only 18 months old - they should see you through the summer. You can have them if you pick them up.

I can take some photos tonight if you're interested.

Name
    Andrew

Just to add, I run 275/40/18 on the 355 and they fit just fine.
    I've seen guys run up to 295/35/18 without any problems or rubbing.

Arron is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Arron

Quote Originally Posted by voicey View Post
    I've got a pair of Pirelli 360 rears that are a little over the wear bars. I think they are the same size as the 355 - the 360 runs 275/40/18. They are good tyres and only 18 months old - they should see you through the summer. You can have them if you pick them up.

I can take some photos tonight if you're interested.
    Thanks for the very kind offer mate, the stock size of the 355 tyre is 265/40x18 but as has been said I don't think there would be any issue with the different size. I think I am going to go for a pair of new ones though and just get the job done, I had already consigned myself to the expense so it makes no odds really. Very nice of you to offer though.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

I run Continental Sport Contact 3s on my 348 all round. Really happy with them. Slightly more rounded cross-section than some tyres, not sure if it makes a difference but while some have said their 348s tram line a tad at speed, mine doesn't at all and I think the slightly more runded cross-section helps a bit. Good tyres though, very happy with them.

Name
    Oli

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I run Continental Sport Contact 3s on my 348 all round. Really happy with them. Slightly more rounded cross-section than some tyres, not sure if it makes a difference but while some have said their 348s tram line a tad at speed, mine doesn't at all and I think the slightly more runded cross-section helps a bit. Good tyres though, very happy with them.
    +1

I went for these on mine when I bought it...very happy so far and excellent value (625 for a full set fitted and balanced).

Name
    Mark Wibberley

Mike Spicer, F hillclimber who runs Windsor Tyres is always worth a call as he knows Ferrais rather well and is 'in the game'.

On his advice, and other hillclimbers, I put Toyo Proxes on the rear of my P-car and love them, even if, as advertised, they wear a bit quickly. I think they will fit 355 as a lot of the hillclimbers use them. I always run mixed tyres it seems, Pirellis on front right now.
    Last edited by MoreThanPolish; 21-08-2012 at 08:12 AM.