Page 1 of 176 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: F40 LM Restoration

Name
    Tim

Default F40 LM Restoration

Thanks to all for the enthusiastic response and herewith first post which I will try and update every few days as there is something worth reporting.

Aside from the original Michelotto LM's, the 27 other cars as listed by Michael Sheehan in his definitive article on the LM, all started their life as road cars. 84326 was no different and finally ended up in an unusual configuration running twin KKK turbos with twin waste gates and adjustable boost putting out approx 720 BHP. It competed in some races in the 1996 BPR without any distinction and probably it's greatest claim to fame was that it lapped Hockenheim quicker, just, than a Maclaren FI GTR, so it was no slouch. It is also featured in the book covering the series.

When I bought it, it looked good as per images I will post as a next instalment, but once we got into the detail, it turned out it was a real mess, and 8 years in a damp barn had taken their toll.

The real issue has been whether to restore or continue its evolution and I eventually decided that I would continue its evolution seeing as how it achieved no great success on track in its original format and has continued to evolve during its life so might as well continue now. Consequently, as it is described by Michael Sheehan as an LM/GTE, I thought I might as well continue updating it accordingly.

So, we have stripped her down to a bare shell, and the aim is to upgrade all areas to full spec whilst leaving the engine as it raced, and we are lucky in that Michelotto has agreed to supply us with parts, specifically brakes, hubs, suspension etc which he is normally not happy to do unless for an ex race car.

Thanks to our Dutch friends on F Chat, I have managed to unearth its history and as chronologically we should start there, here are some great shots courtesy of them during the 1996 BPR.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Name
    Jay

Will be keeping an eye on this, Look forward to the next installment

Name
    Rob

Sure to be a great thread. Shall look forward to the updates.

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Quote Originally Posted by JMP86 View Post
    Will be keeping an eye on this, Look forward to the next installment
    As will I
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Looking forward to the updates.

Let me know if we can help as built up whole car including modifying original road chassis to LM spec.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...psbecb1778.jpg

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Me too.

Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by andy74b View Post
    Looking forward to the updates.

Let me know if we can help as built up whole car including modifying original road chassis to LM spec.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...psbecb1778.jpg
    Have tried to send you a PM but apparently you need to clear your inbox! Would really appreciate your knowledge and photos but PM me if you can and I will give you my e mail.

Name
    Tim

A few more shots
    Attached Images Attached Images    

enzo2005 is offline Burnt out Rover Metro Banned user
    Name
    mark

if carlsberg did ferrari threads! superb. will be looking out for updates

Name
    360P

+1 for book marked thread! Those pictures are great, epic era in racing, those Porsche 993's are very iconic as well.

Andy74b's car is a beauty. Had the pleasure of seeing his Maclaren F1 Lark GTR ex Race Car and Pagani Zonda as well at various Goodwood events.

Page 1 of 176 1231151101 ... LastLast