Thread: new owner of an f430, and my first ferrari! and a couple of quetions

Name
    Mike

Default new owner of an f430, and my first ferrari! and a couple of quetions

hello, thought I would introduce myself. I have recently bought a gorgeous f430 coupe and am absolutely loving it! (for the one day that we had decent weather a week or so ago!)
    anyhow, as a new owner , and new to the marque I have a couple of questions, please bear with me as some may seem a bit erm... stupid!

1) the battery charger - I have the new style ctek fitted to mine but it comes under the passenger dash, which is a pain as I don't have much room in my garage to open the door, run the cable through etc.... now I have seen this from ctek http://www.tayna.co.uk/CTEK-Mobility...XLR-P8857.html which looks like it would hook up to the "orginal" old style charger connection under the bonnet. has anyone tried this?

2) when I put a multi meter across the 3 pin socket in the bonnet, (across 2) I would have thought I would have got 12v as it would be attached to the battery, but nope I had nothing . disconnected maybe as I have the new connector anyhow?

3) has anyone ever ran a new style connector to the bonnet? if so any tips?

4) washing the car - what stops the water going into the engine bay via the rear pane;? im just guessing you have to me extra careful here?

5) The F1 gear box and hill starts - I know these are really bad for the car, but its going to happen on day. what's the best practice here? handbrake on and build up the revs the handbrake off? or is there some other method ?

6) the book says you need shell ultra SAE oil, but I cant seem to find it online? I guess this has been replaced by a new version?

thanks in advance everyone! and if you have any other tips please let me know! (sorry for all the questions!)

GP

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Default Welcome & enjoy

6) the oil in the handbook is SHell Helix 5W40 which is everywhere complete with the horse logo to show its the right one

5) as little clutch slip as possible

1) not sure I understand this but if necessary couldn't you cut the plug off and replace

Quite a few questions have been asked and answered before so its often worth just searching on the most basic word to see what comes up - for example i know there's many threads on charger options & ipod leads
    Last edited by jos; 11-02-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Name
    TW

HI Mike and welcome to CS. If you fancy a chat to discuss the points above then please feel free to give me a buzz - we take tech calls to 10pm.

01691 657311.

T.

Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    6) the oil in the handbook is SHell Helix 5W40 which is everywhere complete with the horse logo to show its the right one

5) as little clutch slip as possible

1) not sure I understand this but if necessary couldn't you cut the plug off and replace

Quite a few questions have been asked and answered before so its often worth just searching on the most basic word to see what comes up - for example i know there's many threads on charger options & ipod leads
    hi, thanks for the quick replies! #

with regards to number 1, the f430 comes with a 3 pin connector under the bonnet which you can connect the old style charger to (the huge thing that comes in the fancy leather case). Ideally what I want to do is use my existing ctek charger, with the adapter that I put a link to. hence using the old charge point under the bonnet, but with my ctek instead of the old beast of a battery charger!

thanks

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

On my 575 I have a 12v socket with weatherproof cover trapped by the bonnet which then goes into a CTEK in the narrow garage - is that what you mean ? Like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPTIMATE-A...32e6b46&_uhb=1

Name
    Mark Wibberley

Washing/water ingress - same problem with my 360 - just spray away from the vents so you get minimal water inside, then lift the engine cover so the beads of water run down the channels and mop up the remaining water and splashes inside with a couple of big drying towels like these:
    http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care-...lishing-towel/

The rear decks doesnt get too dirty anyway so you can mostly clean with your wash mitt rather than having to soak it