Thread: 360 Silencer refurb/rebuild - possible or been done

Mike01606 is online now Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Default 360 Silencer refurb/rebuild - possible or been done

I'm looking into getting another rear box for my 360 and replacing the white heat insulation that spits out everywhere before fitting it. I know samba lee looking into this on his blog below.

http://leegriffiths.blogspot.co.uk/2...f-ferrari.html

Firstly I like the standard exhaust and really want to retain it but I'm getting fed up of cleaning up the white dust.
    It must be possible to take the outer skin off and replace the white crumbled ceramic with a more modern less friable material and I'm surprised that it hasn't been done before. I cannot find it referenced anywhere but does anyone know anywhere who has done it?

I live near JP, so I may call into them and see what they can offer. It would be interesting to see what happened if it was just taken out and welded back up again but I suspect heat and distortion would be a real problem.

In the mean time I'm on the look out for a standard silencer if anyone has one but don't want to pay silly money for one as I'm going to cut it open and experiment on it. Please PM me if you know of one local to me.

Name
    Aldous Voice

Pete @ PTR Exhausts has done this a number of times for the Silverstone experiance 360's. In the end he fabricated replacement silencers for them.

Name
    Paul Jennings

Seems an awful lot of work to me when you can pick them up on eBay for little money.
    Why don't you buy some heat wrap from somewhere like Demon tweaks and wrap what you have.
    Or pick up the latest box you can find from eBay.

Mike01606 is online now Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by TISPKJ View Post
    Seems an awful lot of work to me when you can pick them up on eBay for little money.
    Why don't you buy some heat wrap from somewhere like Demon tweaks and wrap what you have.
    Or pick up the latest box you can find from eBay.
    I suspect all of the standard boxes now are in a similar condition with the newest still being around 9 years old.
    If the outer skin can be removed with little damage then it can be cleaned out and wrapped with exhaust/welders blanket type material before refitting the skin. I don't think that is too much work say compared to a manifold refurb. The key is getting it apart without damaging it.

Heat wrap is an option as the main leak is the expansion joint. If it can can be fitted tight enough it may improve it but I with the expansion on these things I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by voicey View Post
    Pete @ PTR Exhausts has done this a number of times for the Silverstone experiance 360's. In the end he fabricated replacement silencers for them.
    Thanks voicey, I'll give him a call.

Thanks both.....M
    Last edited by Mike01606; 06-05-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Name
    chief

If you're content with the lack of silencing, then easiest thing to do is remove the exhaust and seem weld where the dust comes out. The showing top of the exhaust doesn't need doing, it is the hidden areas that need it. You're local welder will complain that it is like welding tin can but it is straight forward to do. Budget 30

Buying second hand exhausts off of ebay typically isn't worth it unless they are known to be very young - MY is stamped on the side. Plus the direct question on white dust is asked.

Name
    Aldous Voice

The white packing doesn't provide any silencing - that is done by the resonating chambers inside the box. The white stuff is an insulator - it starts off solid but breaks down over time and emerges as a white dust.

Name
    Mike M

Thanks for the replies. The packing as voicey says is an insulator, sort of space shuttle tile material.

I will follow this up if I can pick up a back box reasonable. I'm in touch with a superb fabricator who works with s/steel. If I get it to him I'm sure it's fixable without too many iterations.

Or I could just buy a Capristo!

M

Name
    paul elton

Default 360 silencer refurb/rebuild

Hi mike ditch the original and get an after market they are not worth messing about with the new exhaust will be about 1/3 the weight and when fitted with a cs tcu the down shifts will sound awesomecheers elt.

Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by elt View Post
    Hi mike ditch the original and get an after market they are not worth messing about with the new exhaust will be about 1/3 the weight and when fitted with a cs tcu the down shifts will sound awesomecheers elt.
    Paul, 'Awesome' would very quickly become 'tiresome' for me. Great whilst giving it the berries but for 99% of the time when you are cruising around it would soon get a bit tedious. The fact that most track days are now restricting noise so much that standard exhausts are required just adds to it.

M