Thread: Registering LHD 355 or LHD CS for use in the UK

Name
    Sm

Default Registering LHD 355 or LHD CS for use in the UK

Has anyone on here imported (or brought back to the UK) a LHD 355 or a LHD CS? If so, what was required to get it registered in the UK, what changes were made to get it through an MOT and how much did it all cost?

Name
    Mr Moderation

What year(s) are the cars? Are they EU or Swiss registered?

Name
    Pierre L Raoul

my car came from Italy - Switzerland is not EU...so not too sure about what you need to do.

In my case (from Italy, EU), i needed:
    1/ MOT (can be done without the COC, so in parallel), it will be recorded on the chassis number
    - adapt the headlights (again for MOT), there is a switch somehwere so no need to change the whole piece, Maranello Egham did mine
    - change speedometer to mph (again for MOT), we used a sticker as i was not keen on "opening" and wanted to remain original

...you will need the seller/dealer/garage to issue a statement saying that both the speedometer and headlights/foglights have been changed/adapted to the UK for the DVLA

2/ letter from the Italians reg departement that my car had surrended its original immatriculation
    3/ COC from Ferrari, without COC it is impossible to get a UK reg

and finally you can take the car to the DVLA with all the documents (this is the most painful part of the procedure):
    * COC
    * MOT
    * letter from dealer/seller/garage for the UK adaptation
    * proof that the car is no more longer immatriculated in its country of origin

Name
    Sm

Thanks. Sounds a bit cumbersome but not
    too bad. Did you manage to get it insured whilst you were sorting out the registration? Presumably you couldn't drive it prior to sorting all the paperwork?

Name
    Sm

Quote Originally Posted by yellowtr View Post
    What year(s) are the cars? Are they EU or Swiss registered?
    Swiss registered. 1996 and 2004

Name
    Pierre L Raoul

Yes the car was insured on its chassis number only in the UK with AxxxA

I was also able to drive it for a little while on its Italian reg while we started doing the paperwork; until the last moment when I had to send the Reg back to Italy to get my final papers. Then the car sat in a garage for a couple weeks.

Name
    Mr Moderation

Quote Originally Posted by Schnellmann2 View Post
    Swiss registered. 1996 and 2004
    There maybe VAT implications if you haven't owned the car that long-as I assume its your car which you own in Switzerland? I had to pay VAT on my TR which I imported from Switzerland 10 years ago-but it was a personal import..

You will have to go to the

http://www.stva.zh.ch/internet/siche...a/de/home.html

This will allow to "export" the car and put on export plates. Pretty painless.

Name
    Sm

Quote Originally Posted by yellowtr View Post
    There maybe VAT implications if you haven't owned the car that long-as I assume its your car which you own in Switzerland? I had to pay VAT on my TR which I imported from Switzerland 10 years ago-but it was a personal import..

You will have to go to the

http://www.stva.zh.ch/internet/siche...a/de/home.html

This will allow to "export" the car and put on export plates. Pretty painless.
    Yes, I need to have owned and used the car for at least 6 months outside the UK prior to importing it to get the relief from the 20% VAT.

A friend's friend found out the hard way a few years back when he bought a 964 from me here in Switzerland without checking the UK VAT rules. TBH it didn't occur to me either, although I wasn't concentrating on what had to be done in the UK. He thought he had got a good bargain (it was in Swiss money as I bought it from an expat, who had lost his job and needed to sell quickly and I sold it on at the same, low price), until he tried to register it in the UK and found he had to pay 17.5% VAT to do so. Still, it was a good car and he got lots use out of it.

Name
    kay

My 355 was from New York, I had to get the rear fog light working and proof of vat paid and log book, and emission test not required, because of age (1995)