Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf improvement thread

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Fraccie View Post
    Why is this in the sport section, golf is not a sport, it is ......zzzzzzzzzzzzz...................thud!
    It's in the sport section because AJ didn't want it in the holiday ..... I mean cafe section. Is it a sport or not? Not sure really. I know I get upwards of 120mph club head speed (tracked on radar) now due to weights, core stability work etc. When I hit a big drive I'm using a pretty similar technique and force to when I used to compete at discus in my youth. Can't really see the difference.

Regarding it being dull to you, maybe. Pretty new to it myself, used to be a keen rugby player (but also played cricket, hockey, squash and rowed for my college). I thought it would probably be a tad dull till I got into it. There is one interesting stat I have come across though. I've not met one person who has the talent to play the game well who finds it dull, it's generally people who are bloody hopless who make a fuss about it being boring coz frankly it is if you're useless. There's a Championship course near me that I sometimes go to, Fraccie - the Hotchkin now ranked the 4th best course in England, only a tad over 7000 yards long, steps down into some of the bunkers, that sort of thing. Going to stick my neck out but feel free to come for a game and prove that stat wrong
    Last edited by Nosevi; 31-07-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Name
    name

Quote Originally Posted by Fraccie View Post
    Why is this in the sport section, golf is not a sport, it is ......zzzzzzzzzzzzz...................thud!
    For what it's worth I also thought golf was as boring as it could get. I had even tried it down the range and on a proper course a few times, without much success, and and still thought it sucked.

Then one day a serious golfer friend coaxed me out on the course and just gave me a couple of pointers. Started hitting a few straight shots and I was hooked.

5 years down the line I'm still keen as anything, play twice a week and am down to 6.

Name
    Pete

This game/sport can be seriously trying at times, but it can make it all the more addictive. Having got to a certain level my coach has decided that I need to change the way I play the game if I want to progress. I can move the ball either way if I need to, the degree of accuracy is debatable mind you but I can do it. My stock shot is a draw and a fairly pronounced one at that - on a mid iron I probably move the ball 10-15 yards from right to left during a flight, sometimes more, a driver is more than that, it's a real arc. He's now decided, after almost a year, that I really should be hitting a fade. It's all to do with how I come into the ball and taking my hands out of the shot but essentially it'll give me more control (apparently). Got to say, most of the England guys now play a fade for this reason.

Anyway, been working pretty hard on it and it's just starting to come together. This afternoon went out and shot 3 over par (not a great score on the little course I normally practice on - 3 shots between Par and SSS) but my ball striking was probably the best I've had. Missed one fairway and more importantly only 2 greens in regulation all round, the third dropped shot was a three putt from the far end of the green - annoying.

The thing was in the 16 greens I hit, 12 were real birdie chances, talking 12 feet and less............ and missed every sodding one of them, even a couple of 4 footers! Just nothing dropped. I lipped out 7 times I think. It feels like progress but is more or less on my handicap. I was actually playing with an old chap who happened to be standing on the 1st as I walked up and asked me to play with him. Unfortunately he was having a nightmare and me hitting it well didn't particularly help.

The one big difference I did find from my normal ball flight is the amount of control you can get with a fade over a draw. Many of the top pros are switching (Tiger, Sergio and several others) and I can kind of see why. With a draw when it goes wrong, it goes wrong in a big way. With a fade a bad shot is far less destructive.

Got to say when I say fade I am talking what some would call a 'baby' fade. My ball flight probably only moves a yard in the air left to right. In fact the old boy I was playing with and was talking to about swing changes (his excuse for the day as well as mine) said to shut up about fading, I was hitting it dead straight. He faded it. I had to get him to stand right behind me to see there was a little movement as the ball fell. I told him there was just a very subtle difference to what I was doing and what he was doing: I was fading it, he was slicing it. He's a regular and I know him, there was a fair amount of banter going on.

Anyway, That's my top tip. Most high handicapers try to hit a draw because they're trying not to slice it. Once you get past that, see if you can go back to a left to right ball flight. The control you can get over a ball flight that is only a yard or so left to right is far more than the control you generally get (not always but generally) over a ball flight that varies from a couple of yards right to left to a snap hook when your timing deserts you.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 06-08-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Name
    Darren Sullivan

Well I'm enjoying your posts even if Fraccie isn't

..."You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen." - Lee Trevino

Name
    Ned Schneebly

Quote Originally Posted by darrens View Post
    Well I'm enjoying your posts even if Fraccie isn't

..."You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen." - Lee Trevino
    Just beat me to that quote Darren!

Name
    Darren Sullivan

This thread triggered me to read this piece.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...513874890.html

Not that I think anyone would recommend copying Trevino's method of varied ball striking. One of my favourite players though.

Name
    Pete

This thread triggered me to read this piece.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...513874890.html

Not that I think anyone would recommend copying Trevino's method of varied ball striking. One of my favourite players though.
    Great read, Darren. I've watched several Trevino vids, he certainly is a character. Thing is he was actually right - Tiger does now play a fade and for the reasons Trevino gave. Hank Haney helped Tiger change his swing to a stock fade.

I'm a little less radical than Trevino in that I'm trying to go from a draw rather than a hook. Where Trevino used to set up with an open stance, I just do a few practice swings that exagerate a cut across the front of my body - Jimenez does the same as do several others. The idea of this is to stop you getting 'trapped' behind ie the club stuck behind you so you have to flip your hands to try to set the ball off towards the target. Other than that it's pretty similar - more of a push through the ball with the club face fairly neutral, very little hands in the shot.

I was actually talking to the old pro at my golf club prior to changing from a stock draw to a fade. I went into great detail about the pros and cons of each and how I saw it, I wanted his opinion, he's pretty old fashioned but has coached several tour pros and knows his stuff. I asked him which I should go for - draw or fade?

He listened to all my arguments, then looked at me with a dead straight face and said "Pete, if I were you I'd hit it with just a tiny bit of straight."

Name
    Darren Sullivan

Lol. I like it!
    Ps
    If you get the chance to play France, Champ de Battile in Normandy, 60 mins from Le Havre is stunning

Name
    Pete

Lol. I like it!
    Ps
    If you get the chance to play France, Champ de Battile in Normandy, 60 mins from Le Havre is stunning
    Thanks for the tip

Name
    Pete

Had an interesting little round yesterday. Don't generally play with my Father and haven't played with him for over a year, since then my game has come on a tad. Like most people's parents I guess he knows best and regularly tells me that I'm going about my project wrong. I'm told I am spending far too much time on the practice ground etc and should just be on the course far more - I guess that's how all the seniors at his club do it. Any bad shot in those earlier days of my 'project' (and there were a lot) were met with reminders of this fact. It didn't help that I used to let who I was playing with effect my game but since then I've made a point of often going out on the course with complete strangers when they ask me to join them (mine's a friendly club and people often do) and it no longer makes a difference. It was well meaning but perhaps not what I needed to hear. Hence I went my own way and did my own thing. Yesterday was the first time in a while I had said ok, I'd play with him.

He insisted it was on his course, it was match play (he can be a tad erratic with the driver), and that we play off full handicaps giving him 10 shots over the 18 or more worryingly a shot on 10 holes as we were playing match play. His track is described as an inland links and the wind really does whistle through there a lot. The courses I practice on are nice tame park-land courses and off-setting by 3 and 4 clubs for the wind is not what I'm used to. The wind was up so this was going to be interesting. Due to a lack of time we only played the front 9.

My lack of practice in the wind showed up on the first when I miss-judged my approach shot and, with the wind behind went over the back of the green. In my defence I was 160 out from the middle and used a pitching wedge - this kind of variation was not quite what I was used to! Many of the greens are raised and shaved, again not what I'm used to, and the ball rolled off the back, down the hill and into the rough. Anyway, long story short, he won the first and I could almost hear all the 'advice' about to start.

I filed that away under "offset a hell of a lot more for the wind!" and moved on.

That was the last hole he won, he drew on one other but I beat him on the other 7. His handicap kept him in the game a little but I won 3 and 2. It really should not have been as satisfying as it was. For the first time I didn't get advice as we walked off, in fact he wanted a chipping lesson. With the wind up and really dried out greens some balls just trundled across them but I got up and down for par 4 times with gimmee less than a foot or so putts left after a chip. My mum who was with us wants a bunker lesson.

Like I said, should not have been nearly as satisfying as it was but it was nice for the approach I'm taking to be somewhat vindicated.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 13-08-2013 at 08:09 AM.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast