Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there an official "Satin Black" for 348 sills?

Name
    Matt

Default Is there an official "Satin Black" for 348 sills?

Inspired or reminded by the TR Front bumper thread, but not hijacking it, - I want to take my 348 to a (local) body shop for a budget price for the sills/lips/bumpers in "satin black".

That Body shop has done other work for me before and I've always been pleased with it - so to aid my "do I/don't I" decision, it'd be handy to know if there is a proper official OEM colour.. ?
    (Am only getting a budget right now, and it may not go to that place, but if the paint is something fancy that influences costs I'd like to know.)

Browsing I know black sills on a 348 is oft debated, and that there are "like" and "dont like" camps. I like it, but as the only bit of my car that needs any paint is the lower part of the near side bumper (kerbing scratch, by others) then it makes sense to weigh up red or black.

thanks,

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by J70 View Post
    Browsing I know black sills on a 348 is oft debated, and that there are "like" and "dont like" camps.
    Yep, I'm in the "like", everyone else is in the "don't like" (other than Clive, obviously ). I'll let someone else give you a definitive but when I got Chartwells to redo my sills and the black bit forward of the engine cover they did them in a more matte black than they were previously - not totally matte but certainly not as satin as they were before. The engine cover in particular was quite shiny before but not now. Sorry know that's far from definitive but Chartwell's 'should' know what they're doing as they are Ferrari approved.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 16-08-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Name
    Clive

Hi Matt

No one could give me a paint code for the sills. My car was only 8000 miles old when I got it and the black was most definitely matt black. The engine cover has always been satin black to match the sill plates.
    Eight years ago I had my black bits done professionally for the concours and he took it upon himself to give me the car back the day before the concours with satin black cills. It was horrid and very badly done. a few years ago, i did my own at home using Halfords matt black and the results are stunning. Its all down to the preparation. My car gets used hard and fast, so I have to redo the front spoiler quite often to keep up appearances!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by CLIVE77 View Post
    Hi Matt

No one could give me a paint code for the sills. My car was only 8000 miles old when I got it and the black was most definitely matt black. The engine cover has always been satin black to match the sill plates.
    Thanks Pete & Clive, thats great.

I've been looking through my photos and I'd previously saved yours (Clive) from your pre-Concourse thread, and thought "matt" , but some of the one's I have of Pete's look more "satin" - but his car was on a white tiled floor under bright flo. lighting and direct sunlight, but the sunlight streaming in from above and bouncing back up from the floor ,yet in others, taken outside it looks "matt" (but even those are on a very light coloured stone carpark). Sadly, original brochures I've downloaded (and seen in the flesh) are all a bit "arty" with dark backgrounds and hence tough to tell, and so not much "data" to go on.

Looking again at yours, definately matt for bumpers etc, but my jury is still "out" on engine cover. I know a halfway house would be more wrong than my current colour coded look, but I was really looking forward to having a big flat slab of red to polish when I get into that phase of my project.

Thanks chaps.

jtremlett is offline Overpriced piece of old tat - Ferrari 250 GTO Club Member
    Name
    J Tremlett

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Yep, I'm in the "like", everyone else is in the "don't like" (other than Clive, obviously )...
    Mine are black

Jonathan

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jtremlett View Post
    Mine are black

Jonathan
    Didn't know that JT, good on you, clearly demonstrates a good deal of taste
    Last edited by Nosevi; 16-08-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Name
    Clive

Matt

You'll be able to have a good look at them all on Sunday - plenty to choose from.

JT- didn't see your name on the list - you haven't forsaken the 348 brotherhood for the 550 mob have you? Why not make a late entry???

Name
    Matt

Matt

You'll be able to have a good look at them all on Sunday - plenty to choose from.
    Yes. I will. And you'll be able to see that I already have black sills.. (simulated below)

Name:  sharnbrook.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  34.4 KB

as sadly I need to come in my pickup, respectfully parked in the next field.

Name
    Pete

Why not make a late entry???
    +1. I'll even promise not to talk nonsense.......

.......in fact no I won't but I'll do my best.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by J70 View Post
    Yes. I will. And you'll be able to see that I already have black sills.. (simulated below)

Name:  sharnbrook.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  34.4 KB

as sadly I need to come in my pickup, respectfully parked in the next field.

Like it. Although is it 3 blacks, 9 reds and yours?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast