Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 348 engine bay and rear end restoration.

Name
    Nick

Name:  DSCF8392.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  119.4 KB

Here is the trim from around the rear screen/ engine bay. This had the same feel as the sticky bits inside the car. You could leave a thumb print
    in it. I cleaned this off using some gun wash thinners as not much else works on this coating. Came off fairly quickly. I prepped it and it was then
    painted in a two pack satin. The three parts to the trim are held on by 12 5mm nuts accessed under the edge of the engine bay. Would be much
    easier to get this off and refit with the engine out of the way as I did. Some of the nuts were a bit tight on the thread and needed WD 40 and some
    time spending on them. Did it in the end. Clean up and lub the threads on the trim before refitting.

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

Lovely work. You are clearly no stranger to painting/refinishing parts either.
    When you removed the engine/transmission from the frame, did you lift it off with the sling under the intake manifolds (!) or was the sling there just to keep it all upright? What did you use to clean up the
    intakes and what did you coat them with - look really great. Great to see a thread like this to liven things up a bit.

Name
    Simon Stroud

Default Great thread

Looking good, I know the hard work involved, great thread and posting takes a lot of time that I have failed to do well.

Name
    Nick

Name:  DSCF8329.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  69.0 KBName:  DSCF8363.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  76.0 KBName:  DSCF8362.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  64.3 KBName:  DSCF8361.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  86.2 KBName:  DSCF8352.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  34.6 KBName:  DSCF8343.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  22.2 KBName:  DSCF8341.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  60.3 KBName:  DSCF8340.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  34.6 KBName:  DSCF8339.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  50.3 KBName:  DSCF8364.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  64.5 KB

Rear shock absorbers have been stripped, cases re-plated, springs powdercoated, top mounts refinished and new lower mount bushes fitted.
    If you order these bushes for your car try and measure the diameter. In my case they were 35mm but I was first sent bushes of 42mm. Later car
    fitment maybe? Not looked into it yet. Also we fitted Schrader valves to the casings so the strut can be serviced without sending them off to Bilstein every time there is a problem. This allows re-gassing. Also good if you want to play with the valving in the strut. Maybe not for everyone but it
    suits me for now.

Name
    Candellara

Great thread. Keep the updates & pics coming

Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ronrob View Post
    Lovely work. You are clearly no stranger to painting/refinishing parts either.
    When you removed the engine/transmission from the frame, did you lift it off with the sling under the intake manifolds (!) or was the sling there just to keep it all upright? What did you use to clean up the
    intakes and what did you coat them with - look really great. Great to see a thread like this to liven things up a bit.
    Hi there, I used a pallet and truck to lift the whole unit up as high as it would go. Took the weight with the engine hoist then undo the engine
    mount nuts and rear gearbox mount. All bolts including the big boy. Take out the rear crossmember from the subframe. The clutch housing seemed
    to catch this. Its only four nuts and bolts. I then let the pallet truck down away from the unit taking the subframe with it. After a bit of help and a
    jiggle we were able to pull the hoist back and place the engine and box after a quick jetwash onto another pallet. Its a heavy job and you need the
    kit. As for the plenum chamber/inlet manifold, cam covers , oil tank and subframe I used a company called Redditch Shotblasters. This is a
    powdercoat textured finish. This is a very hard substance which is baked in an oven. This process also creates the finish. You would have to remove
    all the components from the manifold including the air compensator valve assy in the middle of the two chambers. The units need a light blasting to get a decent key for the paint plus the baking after may destroy the small rubber seals on the butterfly shaft. Also there is always a risk of blast
    grit getting in past the masking and jamming things up. If its all apart there is no chance and you can assemble it after cleaning properly.
    Satisfying job. Hope this helps.

Mike01606 is online now Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Great work, please keep posting. Are you ultimately aiming for concours car?

Name
    Jason Boud

Fantastic effort, looks brilliant, looking forward to seeing the rebuild.

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
    Hi there, I used a pallet and truck to lift the whole unit up as high as it would go. Took the weight with the engine hoist then undo the engine
    mount nuts and rear gearbox mount. All bolts including the big boy. Take out the rear crossmember from the subframe. The clutch housing seemed
    to catch this. Its only four nuts and bolts. I then let the pallet truck down away from the unit taking the subframe with it. After a bit of help and a
    jiggle we were able to pull the hoist back and place the engine and box after a quick jetwash onto another pallet. Its a heavy job and you need the
    kit. As for the plenum chamber/inlet manifold, cam covers , oil tank and subframe I used a company called Redditch Shotblasters. This is a
    powdercoat textured finish. This is a very hard substance which is baked in an oven. This process also creates the finish. You would have to remove
    all the components from the manifold including the air compensator valve assy in the middle of the two chambers. The units need a light blasting to get a decent key for the paint plus the baking after may destroy the small rubber seals on the butterfly shaft. Also there is always a risk of blast
    grit getting in past the masking and jamming things up. If its all apart there is no chance and you can assemble it after cleaning properly.
    Satisfying job. Hope this helps.
    Yes. Terry, a stalwart on here, uses Redditch for powder coating. My question was prompted by the photo with the lifting strap wrapped around the plenum chambers.

Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Great work, please keep posting. Are you ultimately aiming for concours car?
    Thanks. Im not really going for a concourse car. Just something well sorted. Concourse seems to mean different things to different people. Its just
    an opinion at the end of the day. If I was Ive a way to go yet but I dont think I want to chase that prize. Nice and clean will do.

Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast