Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 348 engine bay and rear end restoration.

Name
    Nick

Its ok. you can discuss it here. Sounds like you have lack of circulation maybe due to air lock. Unlikely a faulty pump or thermostat as new. Have you checked the small hose that goes to the bottom of the header tank from the water distribution unit on the top of the engine block is clear? In between temp sensors under inlet manifold. This is meant to bleed air out. You can pull it off the tank and blow down it. Worth a look.
    I take it the water pump rotated ok after fitting? I may be away for a few hours now.

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
    Its ok. you can discuss it here. Sounds like you have lack of circulation maybe due to air lock. Unlikely a faulty pump or thermostat as new. Have you checked the small hose that goes to the bottom of the header tank from the water distribution unit on the top of the engine block is clear? In between temp sensors under inlet manifold. This is meant to bleed air out. You can pull it off the tank and blow down it. Worth a look.
    I take it the water pump rotated ok after fitting? I may be away for a few hours now.
    I have recently replaced both the hoses to/from the header tank. The larger hose from the front of the header tank to the main coolant pipe was partially blocked. The smaller hose from the rear/bottom of the header tank to the water dis unit on top of the engine was also partially blocked, if not near blocked.

Both hoses were undoubtedly original and had just broken down over time. If you haven't replaced these, its worth doing, both are standard hose size hose so you can get from anywhere and are therefore cheap. One from rear of header tank to water distribution unit is a bit fiddley to do due to access to the water distribution block, you need to remove the air filter housing, and have some patience.

Name
    nico

Ok well understood ! I will check the hoses.
    The small hoses was partialy blocked on the header. Too i had to replace the samll junction part to the header.
    Name:  big-7364017022.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  68.0 KB
    But I did not checked the junction with the tank and the bigger hose too.
    I will check it.

When engine is started, the pump pulley is turning too.

thanks for taking the tim to help me !
    regards
    nico

Name
    nico

the whater pump is a 100% new not a refurbished.

Name:  big-6721980373.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  44.5 KB

Name
    Nick

Just for interests sake did the new thermostat have a small air bleed hole in it? How about the original? If there is air trapped under the thermostat it will not work properly and may prevent good circulation. I suppose you are happy the flow of the radiators before the current work. Not blocked. Unlikely but you need to eliminate everything.

Name
    nico

hello
    the old thermostat had a small valve yes. but not the new one no ! and no hole.. I should have drilled it ?
    But when hot, it open and air shoul go to the big black metal hoses and out with the purges ..should work like this ?
    those sold by eurospares dont have valve too..

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/userIma...um/1509885.jpg

I checked, the small hose is ok from tank to manifold.
    I dont undertand:I suppose you are happy the flow of the radiators before the current work. Not blocked ??

My left radiator was leaking and I tested it with whater and garden hose it was ok, a good circulation. The righ radiator is new.
    Last edited by ahvlanico; 26-08-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Name
    nico

I removed the return hose from the tank and lost 5 liters of cooling liquid. So there was liquid in the inferior metalic hoses with purge.
    Too , checked this small rubber hose and it is in perfect condition.
    Tomorow I will make this test:

put a long hose on the return tube from radiators to tank but not connected to the tank to see if the return is ok or not.
    I will put a plug on the inlet tube of the tank to be able to fill the tank.
    hop I will have a solution tomorow..

Name
    Nick

I was just asking if you were happy with the radiators and you answered the question below.

My left radiator was leaking and I tested it with water and garden hose it was ok, a good circulation. The right radiator is new.

I would have drilled the thermostat but that dosnt mean its the answer to your problem. Ive seen an issue with trapped air several times on other marques and its helped.
    In theory any air should bleed out through the other hoses but if some air can be trapped higher up it may not. Ive drained and refilled mine three times without any issues. Every two years or so and will be doing so again very soon.
    I have the standard thermostat fitted plus an OEM water pump.
    You seem to have addressed most things so its puzzling me why you still have a problem. Its not exactly a complicated system and as I said for me its never been an issue even from completely dry.

It can be difficult diagnosing problems remotely and I'm a bit lost on this one now. Somehow you are not getting hot water to the rads as you say they are cold. Something is preventing that happening but I don't have the definitive answer.

Maybe try removing or drilling the thermostat if you are convinced everything else is good. At least it will prove something either way. The small hole is there to release any trapped air before the thermostat can open.
    Keep us informed.

Name
    nico

You well understood Im a special case !!
    This car stay sleepig 20 years and I recently rebuilt it..I hade a first test drive and bleeding not so bad but the car was still too hot.
    Than, having starting problems i decided to replace the temp sensors so removed the plenum and the thermostat.
    The first bleeding i made was made with a completly empty system (engine removed for belt) and the actual bleeding was done only with an empty engine (for whater manifold removal).
    so maybe in this case , air is somwhere between 2 whater columns..I will try to unfill the radiators too before to decide to drill the thermostat because im afraid i have to remove the plenum again to catch it..
    thanks for your high level help.
    nico

Name
    Nick

No worries Nico. Anytime. I sense something different is going on here. Its just not adding up. Hope you can get it sorted soon. As I said..keep us informed.

Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast