Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 195967686970 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 348 engine bay and rear end restoration.

Name
    Nick

348 2.7 Motronic fault codes as per workshop manual.

Name:  Ferrari 348 fault codes.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  117.0 KB

Name
    Nick

So, since my last post on the ECU subject a lot has happened. The main thing is the ECU failed again soon after getting it back. Im not sure it was ever fixed properly. It was returned under warrantee, arrived back approx three weeks later after extensive long term testing however they do that and was still faulty. They keep telling me it is something on the car causing the problem but why not the other ECU too as both had been swapped over in the car and run with the same components under the same conditions. This is an ongoing issue which is yet to be resolved with the company. Im waiting for a reply.
    Ive now bought a matching pair of ECUs form Tim Walker for very sensible money and thought I would keep them for spares whatever the outcome. I fitted those yesterday and guess what? Perfect. Car ran much better from cold right through until warmed up. Not a single hiccup or light. Revs cleanly without stumbling. Ive run multiple cycles. I needed to do this to prove beyond doubt my initial diagnosis was correct that at least the ECU was faulty. Ive checked and substituted even new sensors and components I've fitted this year pretty much knowing I would find nothing. Swapped MAFs included. Replaced the battery as it tested poorly but still started the car (5+years old so probably a good idea). Checked alternator performance etc etc. Nothing wrong that I can see.

A quick description of what seems to initiate the fault. Took me a while work it out.

After the first repair I took the car for a localish test just in case I got into trouble. 5 min warm up on the drive. I arrived at a junction with traffic lights red about 5 miles from home intending to turn left and head back thinking it was ok. Lights change to green, I turn the corner and on came the CEL and lost the bank of cylinders intermittantly again. I got it home and sent the ECU back under warrantee.
    It came back weeks later and I do the same test run exactly. Red light at same junction, turns green and as I go around the same corner to the metre, the CEL comes on and loss of bank again. Got it home.
    Next day I did some fault code reading, wrote them down, cleared them and let the car idle. Seems to run okish from cold but as I was monitoring things the cooling fans kicked in and on came the CEL. It was then running rough and even revving it static you could here the misfire/stumbling effect.... So, stopping at the junction lights at around 5 miles from home allowed the temp to rise enough to trigger the cooling fans and thats what effects the ECU. Very odd I know but its true. This dose not happen with the new ECUs. Someone mentioned voltage stabilising or buffering but thats beyond me really. Thats for the experts. As I said I'm waiting for a reply which should be Monday. At least its running ok now.

irarref is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

Have you seen this thread about the engine temp sensor....????

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/144627671/

Funnily enough I had a ford Orion years ago which developed a fault where the car would run for about 10 mins and then it would start stalling, not run properly etc. Spent a fortune trying to get it diagnosed but it finally turned out to be the engine temp sensor (bimetallic strip) was not working properly.

In effect when the car warmed up the air/fuel mixture stayed at the cold setting causing causing a stall/rough running. Leave the engine off for about 5-10 mins then start up again and it would be fine for rest of day.

Sounds like you have a problem that is only manifesting itself onec the car reaches temp????

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Yep, sounds like a simple problem with the choke so should be simple enough to fix. I'll come round with a screwdriver and spanner, we'll have it sorted in a few minutes....

How I miss old cars!

Good luck with sorting it out. As the car is running fine with new ECUs I think it's more than likely that's still the problem.

Name
    Nick

Jeff....Temp sensors are fine. Not very old. Remember I have the ability to read codes now and have not seen one for those. Its 1112 off the top of my head. Ive replaced plenty of them on other cars over the years though.

Name
    Nick

Has an interesting conversation with the ECU repair people yesterday. I spoke to an engineer this time so the information was first hand not passed to him by a third party. Sounded like some of the detail was getting lost. They are very keen to sort things out and now have a much better appreciation of the dual systems fitted to the 348 and the nature of the fault and initiation. Ive sent them both the good and bad units for comparison purposes as he said that may be useful. Fingers crossed although the car is now running sweet on the new ECUs. Hopefully will stay that way.

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Good to hear they are taking an interest. Hopefully they will figure out the issues so if anybody else has the problem they can sort it! Nothing like a guinea pig

Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    Good to hear they are taking an interest. Hopefully they will figure out the issues so if anybody else has the problem they can sort it! Nothing like a guinea pig
    You were nearly that guinea pig remember.

Name
    GQ

Good to hear Nick, all useful for future reference. I think its only a matter of time for each ECU!

Name
    Nick

ECU update. Original pair now back on the car and working fine. No CELs or codes. Hopefully will stay that way. Ive had another unrelated electrical fault on the other bank but that is sorted now. Bad connection as usual.

Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 195967686970 LastLast