Thread: New F430 Owner - Advice Please?

Name
    Simon

Cool New F430 Owner - Advice Please?

Hi All, I have finally bitten the bullet and changed my beloved 360 Modena for an F430.

Can't quite believe how different the cars are and how much more advanced and 'sorted' the F430 feels. Hopefully, no more problems keeping the headlights clean!

Slightly missing the 360 scream, but loving the F430 growl.

I am thrilled with the new car and whilst I have a two year main dealer warranty, I wonder if others can advise me of things to keep an eye on and any other general tips for a happy and problem-free F430 ownership experience?

Will post some pics once I get the plates transferred.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Hi and well done on getting a 430 !! Problems can vary depending on what you have got. F1 transmission can give some problems - just look on any forum and evry other problem relates to F1 (clutch life is used hard, don't use launch control unless you want to buy a new clutch, try and avoid reversing an F1 car up hill as this will help to shag the clutch, F1 can give lots of error codes and cause all manner of problems once they start to wear out actuators/pump/etc) the only sensible solution is to get a car with a manual gearbox.
    Manual cars can get a bit of a sloppy gear lever if a small yoke at the bottom of the gearlever cracks solution is the hill engineering part and 45 mins to change it over.

If you have carbon brakes then get a pair of wheel hangers (these are a long bar that screws into the wheel bolt hole to help you fit the wheel) best if you get a pair. Wheels are very heavy and you could bang the disc and they can get broken. Also the disc are so huge that you can bash the 6 pot front calliper when changing the wheel and chip the paint off. The calipers on the carbon brakes have a normal seal for the fluid plus another dust seal that is inside the cylinder bore. These attract crap and moisture and eventually the coating gets worn off the brake pistons and as they are aluminium they will then corrode and can get stuck inside the calliper causing all sorts of problems. Solution is either new callipers or stainless steel pistons (available from Hill engineering)

Ball joints are used on the ends of all 8 wishbones and with typical crap Ferrari design they are mild steel plated with chrome. guess what the chrome wears off in no time and they go rusty. They are essentially glued in place and Ferrari no longer sell separate ball joints so you have to buy a new arm or fit stainless steel replacements ( also available from Hill engineering)

Shock absorber bushes can wear out quickly but are just press fir to replace so not a big problem. Anti roll bar bushes can sort of dry out and get squeaky which is annoying as hell but its not difficult to get some grease in there or replace.

The real biggy issue is exhausts. There will be hundreds of posts on all forums and you can search these out so see what you think but in summary the whole system is rigidly bolted to the engine and gearbox. The exhaust expands as it gets hot and eventually brackets and even the manifolds can crack. If this happens you can get bits of the precat break off in the headers and drop into the engine - result is you have a 20K coffee table. Most people fit capristo flexible brackets to alleviate this problem as it allows the system to move a little as it heats up.

There were some issue with the e diff but these should be fixed by now so I wouldn't worry about it.

I also think the standard exhaust sounds like a hissy pissy load of crap. This is easily fixed with an aftermarket silencer and if you want some extra poke then some new manifolds which don't have the precat, this will also give a nicer sound. I have fitted a capristo twin sound in my car along with capristo manifolds - the sound is to die for and it gives the sort of noise you would expect a Ferrari to make. Exhausts are a subjective item and it you decide to change it, ignore anything you hear on U tube as in real life they all sound different. If you do change the manifolds you have to consider the impact of the heat as the manifolds are very close to the fuel tanks. Some manifolds come with heat blankets and some don't. I wouldn't run the 430 without some sort of heat blanket/shield on the manifolds.

The other problem is the smug grin you will have every time you turn on the ignition and hit the red button !!!
    Last edited by sssdu01; 30-04-2014 at 07:59 PM.

achaddy is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Hi and well done on getting a 430 !! Problems can vary depending on what you have got. F1 transmission can give some problems - just look on any forum and evry other problem relates to F1 (clutch life is used hard, don't use launch control unless you want to buy a new clutch, try and avoid reversing an F1 car up hill as this will help to shag the clutch, F1 can give lots of error codes and cause all manner of problems once they start to wear out actuators/pump/etc) the only sensible solution is to get a car with a manual gearbox.
    Manual cars can get a bit of a sloppy gear lever if a small yoke at the bottom of the gearlever cracks solution is the hill engineering part and 45 mins to change it over.

If you have carbon brakes then get a pair of wheel hangers (these are a long bar that screws into the wheel bolt hole to help you fit the wheel) best if you get a pair. Wheels are very heavy and you could bang the disc and they can get broken. Also the disc are so huge that you can bash the 6 pot front calliper when changing the wheel and chip the paint off. The calipers on the carbon brakes have a normal seal for the fluid plus another dust seal that is inside the cylinder bore. These attract crap and moisture and eventually the coating gets worn off the brake pistons and as they are aluminium they will then corrode and can get stuck inside the calliper causing all sorts of problems. Solution is either new callipers or stainless steel pistons (available from Hill engineering)

Ball joints are used on the ends of all 8 wishbones and with typical crap Ferrari design they are mild steel plated with chrome. guess what the chrome wears off in no time and they go rusty. They are essentially glued in place and Ferrari no longer sell separate ball joints so you have to buy a new arm or fit stainless steel replacements ( also available from Hill engineering)

Shock absorber bushes can wear out quickly but are just press fir to replace so not a big problem. Anti roll bar bushes can sort of dry out and get squeaky which is annoying as hell but its not difficult to get some grease in there or replace.

The real biggy issue is exhausts. There will be hundreds of posts on all forums and you can search these out so see what you think but in summary the whole system is rigidly bolted to the engine and gearbox. The exhaust expands as it gets hot and eventually brackets and even the manifolds can crack. If this happens you can get bits of the precat break off in the headers and drop into the engine - result is you have a 20K coffee table. Most people fit capristo flexible brackets to alleviate this problem as it allows the system to move a little as it heats up.

There were some issue with the e diff but these should be fixed by now so I wouldn't worry about it.

I also think the standard exhaust sounds like a hissy pissy load of crap. This is easily fixed with an aftermarket silencer and if you want some extra poke then some new manifolds which don't have the precat, this will also give a nicer sound. I have fitted a capristo twin sound in my car along with capristo manifolds - the sound is to die for and it gives the sort of noise you would expect a Ferrari to make. Exhausts are a subjective item and it you decide to change it, ignore anything you hear on U tube as in real life they all sound different. If you do change the manifolds you have to consider the impact of the heat as the manifolds are very close to the fuel tanks. Some manifolds come with heat blankets and some don't. I wouldn't run the 430 without some sort of heat blanket/shield on the manifolds.

The other problem is the smug grin you will have every time you turn on the ignition and hit the red button !!!
    WOW
    Think I will stick with the 360

Name
    Simon

Default Thank You

Thanks Simon for the detailed advice.

My car is manual and with normal brakes ( I should have given some detail in my post), but your advice concerning the exhaust is interesting. The car has the standard exhaust and it does not produce the same level of scream that the 360 did, so I may well look at changing it.

Hopefully the warranty will cover any issue regarding the manifolds etc.

The ball joints issue is a familiar one as my 360 had the same issue. I had them replaced with the Hill engineering ones. The 430 only has 10k on the clock so the suspension is all good at the moment. The 360 had done 41k so the ball joints were failing one by one.

You arevquitebright about the red button. Just thinking about it makes me smile.

Other than missing the 360 sound, the only negative is the loss of the beautiful leather tool kit in the 360. The black kit in the 430 just doesn't compare.

Really appreciate your help and guidance.

Name
    Kevin Booker

Unfortunately the warranty does not cover manifolds, there's a couple of threads running over on PH you may find useful...

Name
    James Lee

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post

The exhaust issue on these although alarming is very valid. I have seen sssdu01's & wow is it a piece of art. All the brackets etc fixing it to the engine cradle have their own little "suspension" like springs. The Capristo in my opinion changes the whole car!!! Just ask Simon (sssdu01) to take a peek at his at a meet. It's unreal. So much so that I've just bought one for my 550 :-)
    Although pricey for the whole system, you do get a lifetime warranty & as said, it solves the issues that Ferrari parts cause as well as transforming the car!!

The F430 is a very pretty car, well done Sir.

Our two on a local jaunt in our city :-)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398922489.822645.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  88.7 KB

Name

Well nice machine but they can be costly, the issues I had was with the collectors, gearbox, clutch and it can be expensive, good tip when you are at a traffic light or stationary always put the vehicle in neutral do not leave it in gear this protects the clutch and the gearbox, do not use launch ever!!!

If it's baby sat it will look after you, abuse it and get your bank card ready, I have a 458 now, amazing machine and 7 years free servicing.

This said I did enjoy my 430!!!!

Name
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Hi All, I have finally bitten the bullet and changed my beloved 360 Modena for an F430.

Can't quite believe how different the cars are and how much more advanced and 'sorted' the F430 feels. Hopefully, no more problems keeping the headlights clean!

Slightly missing the 360 scream, but loving the F430 growl.

I am thrilled with the new car and whilst I have a two year main dealer warranty, I wonder if others can advise me of things to keep an eye on and any other general tips for a happy and problem-free F430 ownership experience?

Will post some pics once I get the plates transferred.
    Watch out for lamp posts......

Name
    Andy

Wink Exhaust manifold

My experience of 430 ownership.
    I loved driving the car, and still wish in some ways I had kept it. But the reality of ownership was not a good one.
    The exhaust manifolds cracked on my car after 38months and 12500 miles from new. I had to argue with my dealer and eventually Ferrari north Europe, after complaining, they agreed to replace the parts free (5000) for the manifolds and I had to pay the labour. Be careful and get yours checked out, as previously said it is a well known fault / problem on the 430. The rear black wire grill at the back of the car where the badge is mounted also had to be replaced as the paint started lifting off and it went rusty! Again this happened at 30months from new

I also had a recurring problem with oxidisation under the paint by the top of the engine bay C pillar, apparently the roof is welded to the rear wing section at this point and movement can occur between the two panels. Result was a small spider web under the paint. My car had to be resprayed twice. After the second time I decided it was time to say goodby to the car. I currently have an R8 V10 and have to say the build quality is far better.
    That said I am currently looking for a 599 as I do miss the ownership experience of a Ferrari and the club with all the events they organise, just wish the cars were built a little better.
    Last edited by Andrewwillison; 11-05-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Name
    Kevin Booker

Yes the build quality isn't fantastic especially compared to say Porsche, it is better than I expected it to be, however, the ownership experience is so evocative that it trumps any little niggles I've had......so far
    Last edited by kbooker; 11-05-2014 at 12:53 PM.