Thread: 348 centre dash heater vent resto.

Name
    Nick

Default 348 centre dash heater vent resto.

Decided to tackle my centre heater vent today. Not a pleasant job by any means. Here are some photos of what Ive done so far.
    Before starting. Bit dusty as has been sitting around the prep area for a few days. Everything sticks to that stuff.

Name:  DSCF8864.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  68.9 KB

Vent stripped down to component parts. Most of anyway. Not to difficult.

Name:  DSCF8868.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  63.2 KB

Try removing as much of the sticky with a blade or scraper as below as this stuff tends to smear and this makes it easier in the long run.

Name:  DSCF8871.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  62.1 KB

Ive seen all sorts used and recommended for the removal of the sticky and tried all sorts myself but white spirit seems as good as anything if not better. Works for me. I used the cotton buds for awkward areas but they don't last very long so you will need quite a few.

Name:  DSCF8876.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  60.7 KB

After scraping as much paint off the vent as possible I then soaked a duster with the spirit and passed it through the vent slots and rubbed away until the paint was gone. Do this a few times for a better result.

Name:  DSCF8874.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  52.7 KBName:  DSCF8875.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  39.1 KB

This is as far as Ive got for now so will post some more pics as I go on. You can see the top of the vent I'm working on has come out fine.

Angelis is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Sy

Would it be possible to carbon dip it?

Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
    Would it be possible to carbon dip it?
    Don't see why not. Seems like you can do anything else. I wouldn't myself as I'm not a big lover of carbon trim in older cars and I prefer an original look. Personal preference again.

Name
    Nick

Some pics of how I took the vent apart. Things do seem very tight and difficult to strip but it can happen.
    First is the main air flow control. This is quite tricky but with the two screwdrivers shown you have to manipulate it out of its locator holes and the stop slot while keeping a firm pressure on the control and pushing towards the white dot. The larger driver clears the bottom locator hole and the smaller pops out the guide. Hopefully then it will pop out of top hole which you can't see. Keep the pressure on at all times if you can. It will only come out this way and will slide off the flap control rod as it does. The plastic was reasonably compliant and I was able to bend it enough without any breaks. Same for the other side. Worked for me.
    Name:  DSCF8944.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  43.9 KB

Next are the main vents. I used an allen key to disengage the hinges but any hook device will do. Lock in behind the grill and pull hard and it should start to come out. Go to the other side of the grill and pull there too. Hopefully both hinges will have disengaged enough for it to come out now. In retrospect It would have been easier for someone to hold the vent and pull both ends at the same time. Ive put some pics of the hinges so its easier to see what you are up against. Pretty self explanatory though.
    Name:  DSCF8932.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  57.3 KBName:  DSCF8934.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  48.5 KBName:  DSCF8936.jpg
Size:  46.2 KBName:  DSCF8938.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  41.7 KB

More to come.

Name
    Nick

Here is the air direction flap assembly behind the vent. This will be sticky too so needs cleaning and painting. I found taking the outside flaps off first gives you better access to the centre one which has the control knob on it. Its easier to get out if you push it round until flat as pic shows. There will be a bit of resistance but it will pop past the stop.
    You can then take it out of it mountings carefully. Reverse operations to assemble. The flaps will only fit one way.

Name:  DSCF8919.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  51.3 KBName:  DSCF8920.jpg
Size:  42.5 KBName:  DSCF8922.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  53.3 KBName:  DSCF8923.jpg
Size:  46.6 KBName:  DSCF8924.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  51.9 KBName:  DSCF8928.jpg
Size:  38.3 KB

Name
    Nick

When all painted and fettled you can reassemble quite simply. Note which way the vents came out (top and bottom).They will slide in with a firm push and lock to the hinge pins. Same for the control levers but take your time and try not to force the flap control lever fork to much in case you snap it. Below is the finished article. Im quite happy with it. Also a photo of one of my side vents which I have done already. I had the white decals cut out of vinyl. At first I tried 5mm but they looked too big so these are now 4.5mm. Whats the opinion? I can still change them before I matt laquer them in. I finished the vents in Plastikote Super Matt. Lots of light coats over an hour period. Sticky no more.

Name:  DSCF8982.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  66.4 KBName:  DSCF8983.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  55.7 KBName:  DSCF8978.jpg
Size:  55.7 KBName:  DSCF8988.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  60.9 KB

Name
    Jason Boud

Looks the dogs b's to me

Carlo348 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Carl

great effort
    A 348 is like Marmite, you love it or hate it. Boy do I love it!