Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Really low mileage cars - don't quite get it....

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Default Really low mileage cars - don't quite get it....

Following on from David's thread about putting miles on a car (not a bad thing to do IMO) it was interesting to see 2 cars with basically delivery miles go for very high prices yesterday at RM Auctions. A 348 with 600kms went for 75,600 and a 328 with less than 200kms went for 156,800....... yep you read those right. Both were LHD so obviously far more numerous by far than a RHD example but both were obviously in 'as new' condition.

Obviously whoever bought them has got pristine examples of those motors, good on them, but my 'guess' is that they'll go from one collection into another. Again, each to their own, they are beautiful peices of automotive art. But if you take it that 'into another collection' is the most likely scenario doesn't it make the mileage utterly irrelevant? Just a number on the dash. If the car doesn't go anywhere what's the difference between a zero miles car and one that has done 30k then been spruced up to loook like new? Other than that number on the dash and the car that's been driven having a slightly more interesting 'life' obviously.

As I said, each to their own but it has left me scratching my head a little. In both cases the 'premium' for zero miles is about 50% of the value of the vehicle (over and above the top end of the rest of the market). Would make sense (kinda) if you were going to drive it and so wanted a 'new' car. Just makes less sense to me if it's literally just that number on the dash because the car's destined to sit anyway

Name
    jos

There was quite an amusing thread on Fchat the other day when a guy posted that he was looking for a 599GTO - but nothing above 200 miles would be considered.....he got quite a bit of flak but claimed he was only looking for it for a friend

Conversely the McLaren F1 at Pebble Beach with 1500 km or whatever it was failed to sell even close to market for a regular mileage car

Name
    Pete

So what you're saying, Jos, is it's just us Ferrari owners who are 'tarts' about low mileage

One thing I've always found hard to fathom is that we (as Ferrari owners) pretty much all maintain that the cars need driving and that a well maintained, regularly driven car is 'better' than one that's just sat. Then we (as Ferrari buyers) pay a premium for a low mileage car that's just sat over one that's been regularly driven but well maintained.

Name
    Pete

Excuse the slightly crude nature of this quote but reminds me of something I read a while back.

In answer to the question "Should I keep the miles off my car to maintain value?" An owner stated "Not driving your ferrari in order to maintain value is a bit like not sleeping with your girlfriend so she's more desirable for her next boyfriend!"

Name
    Matt

I wonder how it feels to be a designer of a hypercar. ie not the commercial bods, or even production, but the lead of the team that pens it ,knowing all through the process that their creation is probably going to end up in a collection unused.
    I told the boy at Scampton to give that La Ferrari a good coat of looking over as we'd rarely see another - yet in development they get pounded round Fiorano honing the handling and developing the active aero.

It must hurt the creator to see that, unless I guess, they can "move on" to the next shiny project.

Name
    Pete

Think the LaFerrari we had at Scampton will get plenty of use rather than languishing in a collection. Many will but I bet that one won't

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    "Should I keep the miles off my car to maintain value?" An owner stated "Not driving your ferrari in order to maintain value is a bit like not sleeping with your girlfriend so she's more desirable for her next boyfriend!"
    That about sums it up. My Grandmother used to go on at my Dad because he didn't put seat covers in his cars like our Aunt did. Again - "what's the point of having nice seats if you never see them..."

Name
    Graham

My uncle kept the plastic vinyl on the seats of his Nissan bluebird lol.

irarref is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

So how many miles have you driven in yours then Pete?! ;-')

Just checked mine and in the 3 years of ownership I've done 10,640 miles which works out at 3546 pa / 295 pm

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by irarref View Post
    So how many miles have you driven in yours then Pete?! ;-')

Just checked mine and in the 3 years of ownership I've done 10,640 miles which works out at 3546 pa / 295 pm
    Less than you. More than the 400 miles in 25 years that the 348 tb that just sold for 75k has done

Fair point though. But my 'limited' driving has nothing really to do with keeping the miles off to protect value and more to do with spending my time doing other things and the fact my car has 2 seats and my family has 4 members. She really is a toy for the odd blast round the countryside rather than a form of transport.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast