Page 90 of 92 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 LastLast

Thread: F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

...your still keeping busy I see Mark!

That bonnet will look superb with the carbon weave lacquered.

I know thereís another thread running about legislation changes but I think weíre years off and genuinely think we will be shortly entering a time when people will start to understand and push back on the amount of monitoring.
    It just takes one big event for it all to change....Iím relaxed that these cars will be fully useable for at least my lifetime.

Name
    Mark

Getting there Mike For this Ďwinterí itís just the exhaust and a similar suspension refresh to the one youíve just undertaken.

I hope that does happen, I really do.

Name
    Mark

I've been really lucky by finding a used example of the exact exhaust I was going for. I will fit it next weekend.

Name:  Capristo_Scuderia_(9).jpg
Views: 138
Size:  46.6 KB
    Name:  Capristo_Scuderia_(5).jpg
Views: 139
Size:  56.4 KB
    Name:  Capristo_Scuderia_(2).jpg
Views: 140
Size:  46.1 KB

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    I've been really lucky by finding a used example of the exact exhaust I was going for. I will fit it next weekend.

Name
    Mark

I've been driving the car so I'm now catching up with some old updates. Passenger door panel installed:
    Name:  DSC02943.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  61.3 KB

Black HVAC control knobs and new window switches installed (head unit not yet fully seated):
    Name:  DSC02940.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  94.2 KB

Alpine amplifier installed:
    Name:  DSC02928.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  67.8 KB

I never did post of my new Alcantara trim installed, so here it is (previously this was all black carpet - no stitching):
    Name:  DSC02930.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  72.5 KB
    Name:  DSC02934.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  74.8 KB

As a present my OH bought for me a Scuderia glove box storage net and iPod interface lead pocket. I had both re-stitched in red (from the factory the iPod pocket is only available with black stitching):
    Name:  DSC02939.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  59.4 KB
    Name:  DSC02941.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  90.5 KB

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Love the alcantara carpets, the stitching really sets it off

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Name
    Mark

Thank you

Name
    Mark

I put off a complete suspension arm refresh until next winter with the exception of the front upper bearings/ball joints. I was very fortunate to find a company in France who were selling off their stock of OEM kits (joint and OEM boots/circlips) for £30 each, so I bought the lot. I don't use my car in the wet so the lack of stainless content isn't really an issue.
    Name:  DSC02926.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  77.2 KB

The bearings are held in by circlips with integrated boots but they aren't actually an interference fit within the arm, instead there is clearance for a layer of Expoy, and of course when replacing the joints the residue must be cleaned off. I wasn't about to spend an hour or more carefully removing the old epoxy from a soft alloy wishbone so I used the strongest acid I have in stock that doesn't hurt aluminium within a short time-frame (strong acid softens epoxy).

It was interesting to note that the 2008 cars have the F430 Challenge/599 type upper arms which are stronger around the inner flambloc area - this was originally done for the higher cornering loads possible on Challenge due to their slick tyres and aero.

Synstyp is nasty stuff but ten minutes on the epoxy softened it enough to be removed with a blue Scotch-Brite pad, which had the added benefit of keying up the aluminium (max shear strength quoted on expoxy adhesives is usually with a keyed surface).
    Name:  DSC02924.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  68.6 KB

Whilst the Synstryp was working I swapped to working on the other side and I actually managed to have both sides finished and the wheels re-fitted within one hour, though I did leave the car up on axle stands for over 24hrs to enable the glue to fully cure.

Name
    Mark

Capristo Scuderia Exhaust and 200 Cell Sports Cats - 02FE 023 03 006
    I have the Capristo manifolds on my car and I'm not particularly impressed with them - they are good enough but quite agricultural, however I'm really impressed with the Scuderia exhaust system; the design, build, and fit are excellent.

From experience I've found there isn't really a perfect answer to exhaust heat insulation, at least not within the confines of a car engine bay:
    - Capristo blankets wear from the inside out;
    - Heat wrap degrades at the high temperatures found on manifolds and cats, is unpleasant to work with (the fibres can't be good for lungs and irritate the skin), and leaves fibres all over the engine bay;
    - Ceramic coating doesn't work as well as the Capristo blankets.

As per my previous Capristo cats I've installed the blankets and then wrapped over them with heat wrap secured with stainless ties.
    For the rear silencer I've first added two sheets of ceramic wool insulation (the type used in ovens), and then wrapped over the top, again securing with stainless ties. This time I'm trying something new: aluminium tape over the top of the heat wrap. It made installation significantly more pleasant than with the exposed heat wrap and after a couple of long drives it is holding up OK (the heat rating is within spec if installed over other forms of insulation). Let's see how it works out.

Photos to show the various stages of insulation:
    Name:  DSC02889.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  77.3 KB
    Name:  DSC02888.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  81.6 KB
    Name:  DSC02892.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  59.2 KB

Complete and installed:
    Name:  DSC02899.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  79.2 KB
    Name:  DSC02904.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  93.8 KB
    Name:  DSC02905.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  94.6 KB

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Stupid question of the day: If you quite heavily insulate CATs so that they don't radiate the normal amount of heat into the engine bay, while making the engine bay cooler will the CATs not run hotter? Is there a risk with doing that if they do?