Page 11 of 93 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

Name
    Mark

Carbon Airbox Lids
    The lids I purchased were the 16M/Scuderia type which are unique due to the larger MAF sensors employed on those models. Carbon airbox lids were available as an F430 accessory, and they are sized according to the standard MAF.

Each type of carbon lids is constructed with a press-formed aluminium insert bonded into the air exit tube, onto which the MAF is bolted. The insert on the 16M/Scud lids is 5mm larger in diameter than the F430 type. The 16M/Scud lids also have slightly more volume in the filter to MAF transition area, which is what attracted me to them, rather than taking the easier bolt-on option of the F430 accessory lids.

To adapt the 16M/Scud lids to the regular F430 MAF sensors I cut off the air exit tube/MAF flange from my original aluminium airbox lids, and the MAF flange from the carbon lids. I dressed all cut edges with a file and primed any exposed aluminium.
    Name:  6726.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  60.2 KB

The aluminium insert on the 16M/Scud lids is actually stepped internally, and this was the perfect place to bond in the inserts I cut from my original lids. The result is a smooth transition from filter to MAF, despite the reduction in diameter.
    Name:  6722.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  54.1 KB

The gel coat on the lids had gone slightly yellow, so I flatted it back to remove some of it then had my paint guy re-lacquer them for the princely sum of 20.
    Name:  6720.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  78.6 KB

Fitted. I have the header tank cover on order and I'm currently in discussion with someone for 1x1 carbon 16M/Scuderia side skirts, and carbon engine bay panels (which is why I've not cleaned the dust off of mine since the road trip).
    Name:  6724.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  87.3 KB

Name
    CPD

Ah the stock silencer dust issue. Looking at it the entry and exit pipe flanges are where it escapes from why not simply weld it up - sure some wadding will burn away but at least any dust will then only exit via the tail pipes?

Anyone ever done this?

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Ah the stock silencer dust issue. Looking at it the entry and exit pipe flanges are where it escapes from why not simply weld it up - sure some wadding will burn away but at least any dust will then only exit via the tail pipes?

Anyone ever done this?
    Ahh, the dust is from driving approx. 6km over unmade roads in Tuscany. My silencer doesn't emit any dust yet, but I can imagine those that do are suffering a degradation of the heat blanket which is presumably the same fibrous material used in the manifolds, which obviously suffer the same fate.

I suspect the outer shield could be unpicked, the actual silencer re-lagged, and then finally everything tacked back together.

Name
    Mark

P.S. I wouldn't weld the outer shield to the pipes. In stock form it 'floats' and is best left to do so.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by excursion View Post
    P.S. I wouldn't weld the outer shield to the pipes. In stock form it 'floats' and is best left to do so.
    LOL Re-packing would probably be the most non-value-added mod I can think of.
    The interior of the stock silencer is a work of art but weighs a ton and sprays dust around the engine bay, can't think why anyone but the show-n-shine brigade would want to stick with it. Still I am sticking with mine until I find an aftermarket system I really like or can get round to designing a custom job in inconel.

Interesting that you say float because the stock brackets are seemingly seeking a system that does anythingbut float. The weird world of the stock exhaust system is full of contradictions mind so who knows. I just seen a very interesting French system for the 430 but they haven't replied to my mails yet...

Name
    Geoff T

LOL Re-packing would probably be the most non-value-added mod I can think of.
    The interior of the stock silencer is a work of art but weighs a ton and sprays dust around the engine bay, can't think why anyone but the show-n-shine brigade would want to stick with it. Still I am sticking with mine until I find an aftermarket system I really like or can get round to designing a custom job in inconel.

Interesting that you say float because the stock brackets are seemingly seeking a system that does anythingbut float. The weird world of the stock exhaust system is full of contradictions mind so who knows. I just seen a very interesting French system for the 430 but they haven't replied to my mails yet...
    "Non value added mod" what's that mean, repacking the original silencer is no different than replacing the brake discs and/or pads and only costs about 400 for a professional job, it's just ongoing maintenance and has nothing to do with show'n'shine brigade, the dust is a nuisance, but more important is the extra heat that escapes into the engine compartment, the reason for not trying to weld the joints is that the external S/S cover has to be able to expand and contract, otherwise it will distort,
    FWIW some of us are quite happy to keep our cars as they left the factory

Name
    CPD

I appreciate that Ferrari is a brand where people see any mod as akin to someone performing modifications to michelangelo's david and I too would call the taste police if mansory or novitec ever went anywhere near my car but what I meant was the stock system is pants. It wrecks the headers, brings unnecessary vibration to the car, and sprays dust all over engine bay when it gets warm. I am glad I don't work for arvin mediator because I would be embarrassed by it as a solution. In my personal definition of value it is not fit for purpose much like plated to ends and ball joints. The reason I suggested it would be non-value-added to refurb it was that I think it would be better to put that time and effort into improving / replacing the system not maintaining it. Note I am someone who has already paid for four mounting brackets an a set of manifolds. The sooner the system is off my car the better. Now I realise that some people fear that a small church in Modena will collapse if you change anything on their cars but that is only a modern phenomenon. In the early days people modified Ferraris all the time and many of those mods have become 'classiche' approved.

Making a car 'better' is personal and subjective but there are quite a few areas of the F430 where it can be made a LOT better and that's how people choose to worship the marquee. I personally think the concours scene is like crufts but it exists just like hill engineering exists for those of us wanting to improve the car. Just an opinion and taste preference not a declaration of right and wrong.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Here is a little pic of the car on the Windermere Ferry on Friday - Not quite as sunny as your pics:-
    Attachment 143464
    You did well to catch one of the Ferrari pit crew in the shot

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by geoffpfc View Post
    FWIW some of us are quite happy to keep our cars as they left the factory
    +1
    Nothing wrong with that.

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Taylor View Post
    What a great trip, did you put your own itinerary together or was it produced by a company?
    Sorry, Phil, I missed this. We put it together ourselves and due to workload at the time it was all very last minute the evening before we planned to (and did) leave!

We had a few waypoints in mind to start with, which helped to start planning:

1) An Alpen pass;
    2) Tuscany (accommodation already booked);
    3) Somewhere in southern France to spend a few more days on the return leg (national park areas are usually nice);
    4) The Route Napoleon.

Working with Google maps we plotted routes between the waypoints to figure out journey times, then split that down into realistic days, which also gave us the next set of stops. We used google to quickly research places of interest in those areas, and google images to verify if they were worth visiting. We ended up building up the route like that and booking the remaining accommodation that night.

Page 11 of 93 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast