Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

Name
    Mark

Default F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

Hello Club Scuderia. I've used PistonHeads for a few years and have only recently started to frequent FL more often. The following thread is a copy and paste from my PH thread to date, which going forward will be updated here.

Name
    Mark

Sunday 22nd June, 2014

Those who have read my M3 thread will know I was hunting for a Rosso (red) Spider with tan interior, but in the end I decided I would be happier in something slightly more toned down. I put a deposit on this Grigio Silverstone Spider last week and will be collecting it at the beginning of August. The dealer is being very helpful in that respect by waiting for me to complete and move house; apparently a lot of his customers are collectors and don't tend to collect for anything up to six months - interesting!

The car is flawless and I really can't wait to collect it.

The spec is as follows:
    27k Miles
    Full Ferrari Service History
    6 Speed Manual
    Grigio Silverstone Exterior
    Rosso Leather Interior
    Carbon Fibre Driving Zone Trim
    Ferrari Navigation and telephone module

The Dealer photos:
    http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/misc/f430/a_8726.jpg
    http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/misc/f430/e_8726.jpg
    http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/misc/f430/f_8726.jpg
    http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/misc/f430/i_8726.jpg
    http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/misc/f430/k_8726.jpg
    http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/misc/f430/s_8726.jpg
    http://www.mwstewart.co.uk/misc/f430/w_8726.jpg

This thread won't be updated frequently like my others as I'm not planning to modify it in any way

Famous last words..
    Last edited by MWStewart; 24-10-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Name
    Mark

It seems my images don't work, which is a shame.

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by excursion View Post
    It seems my images don't work, which is a shame.
    Some do. Car looks great.......I recognise your PH username from the photo links. Welcome to this site.....

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Some do. Car looks great.......I recognise your PH username from the photo links. Welcome to this site.....
    Thanks Mike. I'll have a fiddle about later to see if I can get them to display on the page.

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

I find posting pics via Tapatalk is best. From a PC I find it a bit pain full. They are normally on my phone also.

Name
    Mark

Name:  a_8726.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  64.2 KB
    Name:  i_8726.jpg
Views: 2349
Size:  71.7 KB
    Name:  k_8726.jpg
Views: 2324
Size:  83.0 KB
    Name:  s_8726.jpg
Views: 2314
Size:  75.1 KB
    Name:  w_8726.jpg
Views: 2288
Size:  65.6 KB

Name
    Mark

Wednesday 13th August, 2014

I said I wouldn't modify it, but...

I'm having the steering wheel trimmed to my own design by Jack at Royal Steering wheels.
    Name:  f430wheel.jpg
Views: 2379
Size:  53.8 KB
    He's starting on it when back from holiday on 4th September

I also found a photo online of another Grigio Silverstone car but with a red roof (I got the colour wrong in my original post; it's Silverstone not Titanio). I'm currently getting quotes for a roof re-trim.
    Name:  f430redroof.jpg
Views: 2364
Size:  71.1 KB

Name
    Mark

Wednesday 27th August, 2014

I was initially very disappointed with the car, primairly I think because the build quality came as a shock after the kind of performance cars I've owned, and still do (M3). I wasn't quite prepared for what is considered 'normal' within the realms of supercar ownership! I would place the general trim/interior/bodywork fastening quality on par with a Mk4 Fiesta, but with a fabric roof. Don't get me wrong, it isn't terrible, but there is a gulf between it and for example my E46 M3, which let's face it is an old car now. I feel magazines and internet reviews serve to create a kind of romance and aura around these cars that in my opinion isn't fully justified.

I am perhaps being critical because I like well-made things and my expectations were off, but essentially a Ferrari is a great chassis and engine with some - very - nicely designed parts screwed on afterwards in a way only the Italians can. I've had a nosey around some of the trim and fastenings etc. and the best way to sum it up would be: good concepts but sometimes the execution is poor I will be improving some of the trim in due course.

Handling wise it is very good but I need at least another month with it before I've raised my driving to the point where I can explot its limits. On the legal side of a ton my modified m3 is a sharper handling car, and if there wasn't a power difference between the two there would be little in it on a twisty road, however the mid engine balance of the Ferrari can be felt at all times and in fairness as a car it doesn't begin to shine until well into prison-sentance territory. This is where the gap between the two cars opens up.

As other reviews have covered the F430 can pootle along quite happily if it needs to, though I have noticed that after 30 minutes or so of heavy stop/start traffic the clutch can judder so that's something that is best avoided. With the Manettino set to 'wet/slippery' the suspension becomes very pliable, comfortable in fact, though with eight ball joints linking wheels to chassis any transition in road surface is always immediately felt despite the comfortable damping.

The engine is as expected: a masterpiece. I thought the CSL airbox was glorious until I heard the F430; it has such vocal talent and such a wide range of sounds that one can almost play it like an instrument! Between 7k and 8.5k it's simply awesome and it's the first car I've owned that I would call fast. I think any more power than this would just frustate me on the public roads.

Back to the theme of the first paragraph, something has already gone wrong. I dropped off the car this morning to Graypaul in Nottingham as a section of the magnesium roof frame has cracked. I had the sense to buy an extended warranty but this part is being covered under the supplying dealers warranty. I've asked Ferrari to check over the roof to ensure there are no alignment issues or anything else - for example snapped elastic under the fabric - that will cause the issue to reoccur. I had to take a photo as I ended up parked next to a 458 also finished in Grigio Silverstone.
    Name:  graypaul_roof.jpg
Views: 2237
Size:  54.1 KB

I did find last week that the car has Capristo brackets fitted to the rear silencer which is a sure sign the previous owner knew about the OEM manifold issue and F430 ownership in general, so that's good. In spite of the brackets I have just ordered a pair of stainless tubular manifolds as I couldn't shake the feeling that I was driving around in a grenade with the OEM manifolds still fitted.
    Name:  brackets.jpg
Views: 2264
Size:  61.0 KB

I expect to update in a months time and by then have fallen in love with the car - it has happenend before

Name
    Mark

Monday 1st September, 2014

Scuderia Shield copies. These are gel badges and I've since decided to go for a replica enamel badge version produced by Jim 'Denver308' from Ferrari Life.
    Name:  6364.jpg
Views: 2220
Size:  65.5 KB

My replacement manifolds have arrived. They are mande by 'Top Speed' Top Speed Auto Accessories, Inc. and cost an incredible 655 including delivery for the pair. They are a 4-1 design which optimises power in the top end of the rev range. I chose them after looking at the alternatives;

Fabspeed/Agency power - Quality of construiction appears identical to Top Speed except for the flange, which is cast and of better quality. 1,600 ish
    Capristo - As above excpet these are a 4-2-1 design which optimises mid-range torque rather than top end. 3,676.45.
    Supersprint - Of the manifolds I have seen these are clearly the best design and quality. 3338.23
    Why am I replacing the manifolds? The OEM Ferrari manifolds contain a pre-car and are prone to cracking, and due to the route the primaries take around the chassis, debris can collect close to the exhaust ports and enter the engine on the over-run. The manifolds were revised in 2008 and called 'Mk2', but even these fail. I'm not interested in additional power but this is a welcome side effect due to the removal of the pre-cats in all of the after market manifolds.
    Why have I chosen Top Speed? I don't like how certain components attract a premium just because of the target vehcile or market, for example the often disproportionate cost of powder coating/refurbishing alloy wheels just because they are a car fashion accessory, or the price of certain components for premium or exotic cars. I chose the Top Speed manifolds because they are exceptionally well-priced and appeared in photos to be procuded to a standard which meant they comfortably out-lasted the OEM manifolds. I beleive they are new to market hence I was happy to treat them as an evaluation.

What are they like?
    The manifolds have been TIG welded. It's not artwork quality but perfectly functional and decent quality. Material is T304.
    Name:  6348.jpg
Views: 2252
Size:  60.1 KB

Welding, O2 sensor, and cat flange detail.
    Name:  6350.jpg
Views: 2240
Size:  56.6 KB
    Name:  6358.jpg
Views: 2265
Size:  57.2 KB

The flange has been welded externally and internally. Internal welds are neat and have been dressed where required.
    Name:  6352.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  55.1 KB

The manifolds have been constructed so that the steps from overlapped sections face away from exhaust flow, which is ideal.
    Name:  6354.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  55.2 KB

This next photo shows the worst part for me: the joint and resulting radius of the rearmost cylinders could be smoother.
    Name:  6356.jpg
Views: 2282
Size:  71.0 KB

Mating face tolderance was circa 1mm. This is within spec for the composite gaskets supplied by Top Speed, but is boderline for a multi-layter-steel (MLS) gasket used on the OEM manifolds.
    Name:  6360.jpg
Views: 2224
Size:  55.5 KB

Page 1 of 93 1231151 ... LastLast