There are some hardware upgrades for the

599/scud/and 16m gearboxes too though?
    Selector forks?
    Synchro Crowns etc?

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    yes let us know as its nice to buy a few consumable spares whilst you can
    Consumables don't get sold. Typically its large genuine parts that dealers bought thinking owners would indulge post purchase. The USA is the best place to find dealers wanting to move stuff on.
    Deal direct.

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    Wow, nice piece of research. Makes a refreshing change from people banging on about stick shift 430s. Nice to see someone celebrating and enhancing the brilliance of the F1s instead.

So when do you plan to swap the gearbox out? You're committed then!
    Thank you. Yes, fully comitted I'm going to drive the car for a few months to enjoy the rest of the changes then upgrade the gearbox later in the year when the weather turns again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Mark,

Some good information and well done. I'm not sure I'd want to reflash my own TCU/ECU unless it was guaranteed to work. Are the brave pills on order!

The early 360 TCU's were CFC 201F.01 then 03 (Challenge) then 05 as the hardware changed. The latest CS TCU was CFC231.06 (I will confirm tomorrow when I collect mine) but there was an earlier version also I think still based on the CFC201 architecture. I understood that even the early cars has a 160ms minimum shift time.

Eric355 is the expert on these......
    Thanks Mike. I wasn't aware of the 201 but the reference has lead me to more reading material on the 360 systems I will drop a PM to Eric355

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    Good info there - some impressive development in reducing the shift time, big gains
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    There are some hardware upgrades for the

599/scud/and 16m gearboxes too though?
    Selector forks?
    Synchro Crowns etc?
    Yes - that's correct. The gear ratios from 3rd upwards are also different, as are the actuator, the valve body, and hydraulic lines - essentially all of the hardware.

The following pics illustrate the difference in the actuator which was made to allow SF2 to travel diagonally across the selector fingers.

F1:
    Name:  F1_actuator.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  71.3 KB

Superfast 2:
    Name:  SF2_actuator.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  78.5 KB

I have a complete gearbox and system ready to go in.
    Name:  SF2_1.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  61.7 KB
    Name:  SF2_4.jpg
Size:  64.9 KB

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    Makes a refreshing change from people banging on about stick shift 430s. Nice to see someone celebrating and enhancing the brilliance of the F1s instead.
    +100%
    An interesting read

I saw a topic on another forum 'The F430 manual - a celebration' where just about everything was celebrated except the third pedal, it made me chuckle.
    Last edited by Kyodo; 27-03-2016 at 08:08 PM.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Consumables don't get sold. Typically its large genuine parts that dealers bought thinking owners would indulge post purchase. The USA is the best place to find dealers wanting to move stuff on.
    Deal direct.
    When I say consumables I am not after spark plugs, I mean things that just wear out or get tatty with use eg felt door seals/indicator stalks/light switches/etc. Once these items go out of stock the cost just gets ridiculous if you can find new stuff. Try and find some similar bits for 308/328/348 etc, and you will see how silly some prices are. If I don't need them someone else will so I wont loose any money.

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    When I say consumables I am not after spark plugs, I mean things that just wear out or get tatty with use eg felt door seals/indicator stalks/light switches/etc. Once these items go out of stock the cost just gets ridiculous if you can find new stuff. Try and find some similar bits for 308/328/348 etc, and you will see how silly some prices are. If I don't need them someone else will so I wont loose any money.
    As Modificato says he US seems to be the best source e.g. the 360 racing exhaust system kits were all dumped through US dealers for little over a grand a couple of years back ( I don't suppose anyone still has a spare one lying around )

In the UK, I'd speak to your friendly main dealer parts manager to see what is around. I'd expect they get bulletins from Maranello when parts are being de-stocked. It's a matter of being in the right place, with the right contacts at the right time.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    As Modificato says he US seems to be the best source e.g. the 360 racing exhaust system kits were all dumped through US dealers for little over a grand a couple of years back ( I don't suppose anyone still has a spare one lying around )

In the UK, I'd speak to your friendly main dealer parts manager to see what is around. I'd expect they get bulletins from Maranello when parts are being de-stocked. It's a matter of being in the right place, with the right contacts at the right time.
    Exactly.

Be prepared to haggle as well - I could have had a set of 'scuderia' style wheels in standard F430 fitment for a rude price and that was through a UK dealer that had attempted to clear them through eBay. Ultimately I wanted to stick with my challenge wheels but I got titanium oil cap and fuel cap through the same source for <300.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Kyodo View Post
    +100%
    An interesting read

I saw a topic on another forum 'The F430 manual - a celebration' where just about everything was celebrated except the third pedal, it made me chuckle.
    It's just getting silly - this manual fixation will only last a generation and then it will be over.

Can imagine half a century ago Luddites bemoaning the loss of the crash box and before that the pre-selection method

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by excursion View Post
    Thank you. Yes, fully comitted I'm going to drive the car for a few months to enjoy the rest of the changes then upgrade the gearbox later in the year when the weather turns again.

Thanks Mike. I wasn't aware of the 201 but the reference has lead me to more reading material on the 360 systems I will drop a PM to Eric355

Cheers.

Yes - that's correct. The gear ratios from 3rd upwards are also different, as are the actuator, the valve body, and hydraulic lines - essentially all of the hardware.

The following pics illustrate the difference in the actuator which was made to allow SF2 to travel diagonally across the selector fingers.

F1:
    Name:  F1_actuator.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  71.3 KB

Superfast 2:
    Name:  SF2_actuator.jpg
Size:  78.5 KB

I have a complete gearbox and system ready to go in.
    Name:  SF2_1.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  61.7 KB
    Name:  SF2_4.jpg
Size:  64.9 KB
    Great pictures mark, it shows how the evolutions in racing directly filtered down to the road cars and why Ferrari's system was always one step ahead of the rest. I remain convinced that it was competitors 'flappy paddle' gearboxes that triggered the backlash. I have only ever known CS onwards so could never understand why the backlash. I raced karts when we went from a lever under the wheel to paddles on either side and I certainly never got wistful about heel-n-toeing etc.

Name
    Geoff T

It's just getting silly - this manual fixation will only last a generation and then it will be over.

Can imagine half a century ago Luddites bemoaning the loss of the crash box and before that the pre-selection method
    I see that the 430 coupe weighs about 1450 kg, but cannot find any detail on the difference in weight between the F1 and the manual gearbox, do they weigh the same? The F1 pump looks quite heavy.

Page 40 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast