Page 88 of 92 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast

Thread: F430 New owner diary inc. maintenance & upgrades

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Good updates Mark,

The £100 vapour barrier!

It must to 95% there now. What's left?
    Cheers Mike. I'm still a little bit away from my 150kg target so there will be a few things to come. Once I'm at the weight target I can start on the engine build - 4.6l, 9k RPM, 600bhp target.

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Cheers Mike. I'm still a little bit away from my 150kg target so there will be a few things to come. Once I'm at the weight target I can start on the engine build - 4.6l, 9k RPM, 600bhp target.
    Ok. Now Iím interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Mark, Are you intending to build a spare engine or pull the one from the car?

Either way that makes an interesting project

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by thecook101 View Post
    Ok. Now Iím interested.

What, so you haven't enjoyed photos of things on scales?

Mark, Are you intending to build a spare engine or pull the one from the car?

Either way that makes an interesting project
    My engine, Mike. The cost of a used, replacement engine is significantly disproportionate to the cost of its new constituent parts, to the point I can complete the build on my engine for quite a bit less than the cost of a used standard engine. I also want to keep matching numbers.

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

My engine, Mike. The cost of a used, replacement engine is significantly disproportionate to the cost of its new constituent parts, to the point I can complete the build on my engine for quite a bit less than the cost of a used standard engine. I also want to keep matching numbers.
    Thatís why I was asking really....I thought you may have wanted to keep the original engine standard and modify a different one...
    Are you following the Gallardo thread in PH? Rebuilding any of these type of cars is a pretty expensive undertaking.

Name
    Mark

That’s why I was asking really....I thought you may have wanted to keep the original engine standard and modify a different one...
    Are you following the Gallardo thread in PH? Rebuilding any of these type of cars is a pretty expensive undertaking.

I have seen that; the cost of the OEM pistons is eye-watering - £16k if my memory serves me well. I can complete my engine build for less than that. I've already priced up the parts and have a very good (experienced with the F136) contact in Sweden who is going to work over the heads and regrind my cams to a different spec. I'm going to stick with the standard management otherwise things start to get difficult with the F1 system and everything else, which sadly precludes me from changing to ITBs, but regardless it will be quick enough - and save another 6kg

Edit: I've attached a flow bench test of F430 vs 458 Speciale valves from some of his research.

Name:  Ferrari-head-flow-in.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  51.9 KB
    Last edited by MWStewart; 12-01-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Name
    Mark

Capristo Exhaust Valve Controller
    This controller will enable me to switch between an override mode with the valves to permanently open, or the standard ECU controlled setting. The kit is very well made and the mode setting switches are operated by using a small supplied magnet over the top of the case rather than with micro switches which could be a weak point for moisture ingress. Neat touch.

My only criticism is that part of the wiring loom isn't taped.
    Name:  DSC02610.jpg
Size:  93.4 KB

I chose to mount the unit at the rear of the right hand wheel-arch, away from heat of the exhaust but within reach from inside the engine bay if the rearmost trim panel is removed.
    Name:  DSC02631.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  81.9 KB

I ran the earth cable across to one of two existing earth points underneath the F1 pump assembly.
    Name:  DSC02626.jpg
Size:  89.9 KB

I had to file out the ring terminal on the loom from M6 size to M8 which easy to do as the fitting is zinc plated brass.
    Name:  DSC02617.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  74.9 KB

I taped up any exposed wires and made sure the connectors were secured with cable ties to prevent undue stress on the terminals.
    Name:  DSC02624.jpg
Size:  87.8 KB

The loom was an absolutely perfect fit for the F430; I ran it behind the rear bumper underneath the cross member.
    https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/m...0/DSC02633.JPG

Scuderia Rear Undertray
    The Scuderia version is made of a lightweight composite material and has two NACA ducts towards the rear that direct air over the exhaust. The ribs along the underside also match up with the Scuderia diffuser, which is different to the F430 part.
    Name:  DSC02581.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  86.0 KB
    Name:  DSC02584.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  84.0 KB

Steering Wheel Paddles - Module v2
    I've been driving around for a year with OEM and steering wheel paddles in place - the former being left in whilst I tested the v1 module. I found that sometimes the modulated resistance output was not close enough to the factory values and hence the TCU threw an error. I have redesigned the module to use Panasonic TQ high speed signalling relays which is a much simpler, elegant solution that removes the need for a micro controller and regulated power supply, and enabled me to match the factory resistor values to within 0.05%.
    Name:  DSC02599.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  78.2 KB

I've used butyl on the connections to prevent 'creep'.
    Name:  DSC02607.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  98.9 KB

Rear Marker Lights
    The reflectors on the rear of the car are the same type of unit that is used as a rear or side marker (lens is amber) light on other Ferraris. For the small amount of effort involved I decided to convert mine to illuminate with the side lights.
    Name:  DSC02586.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  66.1 KB

I'm using 0.5mm thinwall cable to match the OEM colours, W4W sidelight bulb holders, AMP Junior Timer Housings, red incandescent bulbs, and an LED I'll try to see if it looks OK - it may be too bright.
    Name:  DSC02588.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  90.4 KB

More on this another time.

16M Sound System
    I've been analysing the sound system which per side features a tweeter with an inline filter fed from a 100mm Midrange, and a 165mm midbass driver. JBL have been pretty clever in their design to keep weight to a minimum as the midbass features a DVC type driver which enables a smaller magnet to be used whilst maintaining power output. Also, the amplifier is a class D which means smaller power wires, reduced footprint, and less weight at the slight expense of ultimate sound quality, which isn't really a concern in this particular car - anything is going to be better than the standard head unit.

The amp has six channels: two powering the midbass coils, and one for the midrange & tweeter.
    Name:  DSC02615.jpg
Size:  78.7 KB

This is all a bit of a concession to luxury rather than weight saving but given the summer roads trips we go on where often we'll spending several hours in the car per day, it's a worthwhile compromise.

16M Door Cards
    The inner door handles and handle mechanisms weigh nearly as much as one door card! I'm having the handles remade in carbon, and I've picked up some aluminium stock to remake parts of the handle mechanism. I can save enough weight to offset the midbass speakers.
    Name:  DSC02614.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  66.9 KB
    Last edited by MWStewart; 12-01-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Au contraire. Your thread is what got me modifying my car. Now I fear the end is not yet in sight!

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by thecook101 View Post
    Au contraire. Your thread is what got me modifying my car. Now I fear the end is not yet in sight!
    Ha - it never is

Quote Originally Posted by streetsupercars View Post
    im tempted to get the grey panel resprayed on the front air dams - what is the colour code please?
    Sorry, I missed this. It depends on the colour of the car: Grigio Silverstone and a few others have satin black intakes and rear diffuser. Rosso, giallo and others have grey, and the code for that is FERRARI 236430 CROMO GRIGIO CORSA MET 2CT.

Name
    Mark

I've made a start on fitting the new door cards. I knew from looking at photos of used doors and the Ferrari parts system that I needed to add seven top hat shaped brackets to each door, which is otherwise the same as the F430.
    Name:  Scuderia_door_parts_diagram.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  52.6 KB

Whilst my Dad held the door panel in place I used the depth measuring blade on some digital calipers to determine distance from the mounting hole to the door behind; I could then draw up a mount for each of the seven holes. The first door will take quite a bit more time than the second, but it's enjoyable work.

I'm using aluminium strip and stainless rivets/fastenings.
    Name:  DSC02647.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  39.9 KB

Three down, 11 to go. Once completed I will etch prime and paint to match whatever colour is behind the bracket (Ferrari doors are a mix of body colour and black paint).
    Name:  DSC02648.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  76.0 KB

Page 88 of 92 FirstFirst ... 38788687888990 ... LastLast