Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 348 Rear End Resto!

Name
    GQ

This is weird..Ive just returned from dropping my subframe off for blasting and at the same time took my plenum cover for their opinions on what they could do (Redditch didn't want to post my items so have had to find someone local)

They also said that the crinkle finish was very difficult to achieve but did have a few silvers to choose from, some which looked like a textured finish, but were actually smooth. My covers at the moment are quite a dark silver from the years of grime and dirt, but is there an an actual colour to go for. I think he said they use Azko powders.

Name
    GQ

Quote Originally Posted by PAUL V View Post

Sorry no only made the one for my Engine, i would remove the manifold and heat it up and undo it with some mole grips, mine came out quite easy. If you want to send me your water manifold i don't mind making you one up, however this wont be until mid next month as i am away to the USA in a few days.
    Hi Paul - Thats a very kind offer. Im in no rush as am Im getting deeper and deeper into the resto so time isn't an issue. When I get it off, I'll give you a shout and go from there. Thanks

Name
    Nick

Chances are they use the same suppliers for the powder as both companies are having problems getting the process
    right. Its to hit and miss for them to be bothered if they are busy. Mine look ok as I said before but I think the effort
    to get there wore him out. They had a lot on at the time. Ive no idea what the colour code is. Dave at Redditch may
    help you there. I don't like the idea of a smooth,shiny finish on the plenum or intake pipes. Best avoided.

Name
    GQ

Next couple of questions - Throttle Bodies

Photo 1 - I want to remove the butterfly from the throttle body ready for powder coating however the screws appear to be plastic with the ends burred so as I try and undo them, they stick on the shaft. I dont want to force them in case they strip. Any tips on this one

Name:  DSC07302.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  51.1 KB

Photo 2 - Before I remove these bits on the side, are they strategically factory set or can I just count the winds out etc?

Name:  DSC07303.jpg
Size:  51.7 KB

Name
    GQ

Quote Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
    Chances are they use the same suppliers for the powder as both companies are having problems getting the process
    right. Its to hit and miss for them to be bothered if they are busy. Mine look ok as I said before but I think the effort
    to get there wore him out. They had a lot on at the time. Ive no idea what the colour code is. Dave at Redditch may
    help you there. I don't like the idea of a smooth,shiny finish on the plenum or intake pipes. Best avoided.

No, nor do I being truthful. They can do any of the colours in textured, but the crinkle is the issue

Name
    GQ

Gave the engine block a bit of a spruce up today, quite pleased with the results.

Name:  DSC07310.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  80.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
    Next couple of questions - Throttle Bodies

Photo 1 - I want to remove the butterfly from the throttle body ready for powder coating however the screws appear to be plastic with the ends burred so as I try and undo them, they stick on the shaft. I dont want to force them in case they strip. Any tips on this one

Name:  DSC07302.jpg
Size:  51.1 KB

Photo 2 - Before I remove these bits on the side, are they strategically factory set or can I just count the winds out etc?

Name:  DSC07303.jpg
Size:  51.7 KB
    You will have to remove the peened over end of the screws with something like a Dremmel grinding bit. Be careful
    not to damage the shaft. You can then refit using a high strength thread lock. I tried to find some new, correct screws for this job but was unsuccessful at the time. Just take off the smallest amount needed to remove the screws.
    When I removed the air bleed/ idle adjusters I did some careful measuring first so at least you can put them back
    where you found them. I had no issues with the idle speed on running the engine after reassembly. N.

Name
    GQ

Thanks Nick, just wanted to confirm I wasn't imaging it as the central butterfly operated by the vacuum has metal screws. Better break out the Dremel and micrometer then

Name
    GQ

Spent a bit of time on a cam cover today and so pleased with the results I don't think I'll chance getting it re-blasted / coated.

Im so tempted to take the red off the Ferarri lettering high point

Before

Name:  DSC07316.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  84.8 KB

After

Name:  DSC07317.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  82.9 KB

Name
    Carl

The condition of your cam cover, it certainly doesn't need doing. It's in great condition.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast