Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 348 Rear End Resto!

Terry is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Expert
    Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
    Chances are they use the same suppliers for the powder as both companies are having problems getting the process
    right. Its to hit and miss for them to be bothered if they are busy. Mine look ok as I said before but I think the effort
    to get there wore him out. They had a lot on at the time. Ive no idea what the colour code is. Dave at Redditch may
    help you there. I don't like the idea of a smooth,shiny finish on the plenum or intake pipes. Best avoided.
    I know RSB have trouble with the silver wrinkle and I am aware of how they tried to get the right finish for Paul.

Just another option to consider is to do the plenum in a colour where the texture is correct in powder then wet paint with engine silver.

I did that with my Mondial t a few years ago. The wrinkle looked good in black then coated it straight after the powder with a coat of engine silver. I know from owners 5 years later that it still looked good. Wet painting fresh powder seems to work OK.

Name:  IMG_0948 (Large).jpg
Views: 218
Size:  77.9 KB

Name
    GQ

Hi Terry. I actually found your thread from a few years ago when you did that and was going to PM you. My wrinkle finish on the plenum / manifold is actually quite good so I might have a crack at this to start with.

Was it the enamel silver paint you used?

Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
    Hi Terry. I actually found your thread from a few years ago when you did that and was going to PM you. My wrinkle finish on the plenum / manifold is actually quite good so I might have a crack at this to start with.

Was it the enamel silver paint you used?
    Hi Graham, this is what I used:

Name:  P1010104 (Large).jpg
Views: 218
Size:  61.8 KB

Simoniz has taken over Sperex so it is now available under the new name, the picture on the can is the same.

I found the main advantage of painting over fresh powder was that no preparation was required as it was a clean finish and base on which to overpaint.

Name
    GQ

Thanks Terry, Ive given them a Gunk bath and a gentle power wash like I did for my cam covers so all looking nice and clean ready for painting. I'll give it a go

Name
    GQ

Would someone just be able to check this for me. Excuse the simplistic sketch, but I just want to make sure Ive got all the vacuum hoses all connected back in the correct way. I took notes at the time but you know what its like when you start questioning yourself!

Ive excluded all wiring, the lines are just the vacuum pipes

HTS CC006.pdf

Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
    Would someone just be able to check this for me. Excuse the simplistic sketch, but I just want to make sure Ive got all the vacuum hoses all connected back in the correct way. I took notes at the time but you know what its like when you start questioning yourself!

Ive excluded all wiring, the lines are just the vacuum pipes

HTS CC006.pdf
    Am away from my car right now, but I seem to remember (could be wrong - it happens) but the vac pipe arrangement is different if you have Cats or not.

(its a while ago, I saw some de-cat pipes on ebay, and was just looking at the diagrams for what , if anything, needed changing if I got them, and I <think> some pipework was different - but as I didnt buy them in the end, seller withdrew, I didnt complete my research)

But might help if you confirmed Cats or not.

Name
    GQ

Well they didn't come up too bad after all. This is only a 'mock-up' as Im waiting for all the gaskets etc, but actually quite pleased with the results along with my cam covers .

Name:  DSC07388.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  DSC07389.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  64.4 KB

Name
    Terry

Looks like they came out well Graham.

Name
    Nick

Name
    GQ

Next stage:

Got my sub-frame back from blasting as I knew I wanted to do some repairs before coating.

I was thinking of maybe instead of duplicating the holed stiffeners, cutting these out and slotting in a 3-4mm solid plate stiffener, 2 at each position. This would also prevent dirt, debris moisture being retained which has caused this to happen.

Name:  DSC07445.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  DSC07446.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  70.6 KB

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast