Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 430 garage build

Default 430 garage build

Building commences on my new garage tomorrow. Going the full monty with workshop , lift, tiles, underfloor heating and a 4 post lift. Spent a while trying to decide between a 2 and 4 post but a) want to use it for storage eventually and b) all the incidents I read about lifts involve 2 posts. The garage will be built to house spec and will linked to the kitchen via a glass/wood conservatory so could eventually be used as just another room if I sell. I'm very fortunate as having sold a business I have some money to put in. The workshop in front of the car(s) is a good size and will have a loft above for storage. Below will be plenty space for a workshop and gym. Think I'm just going to move in . Anyone have any 'must have' suggestions? Elevation below.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435518105.153030.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  278.7 KB

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Golf sim and pool room / bar above? Just kidding

Will look forward to watching your progress. Mine's been completed for almost a year now and yes, I do live in it. Sofa in there helps

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

BTW we have similar plans - garage was built so it can be joined easily to the house and built to 'house specs' - fully insulated walls including using thermally insulated blocks, both 'kingspan' and 'wooly' insulation in the roof, slate floor, comuter controlled radiators etc. Well worth doing

Name
    Ian

Thanks. Builders arrived on time this morning to start clearing the site. I'll post pictures as things progress. Now to decide which 4 post lift to go with. Looked at Strongman (but green..?) Automotech, Bendpak and a few others. It's going to be 'indoors' so I'd like it to look nice too.

Chriss is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Chris S

Great project !

Very sensible to put in a lift. You might like to consider this lift which was at GTO Motors where I bought my car.
    It has all the advantages of a four poster but the scissor action means it takes up a lot less space.

The boys told me that it didn't obstruct their work in any way. If I were putting one in, it's what I would choose.

Name:  F12 chs (2a).jpg
Views: 607
Size:  65.8 KB
    A proper car has a V12 engine in the front

Name
    Ian

Ye - I really like that lift and looked at a similar one that would recess into the floor. It a single garage though - 4 meters wide and 9 meters long, workshop in the front section - and I want to be able to store two cars in there so the traditional four post seems to be the way to go. Track car up on the lift with oils pans and 430 on the floor underneath. 4 post means the suspension isn't hanging when up and I'll have either bottle jacks or a jacking beam for when I need it wheel free.

Name
    Chris S

Hadn't realised it was a single garage. A four poster makes a lot more sense for you. I really don't like two posters at all, especially for storing a car.

I built an extra double garage for the Ferrari and MGC but it had to be narrow to fit in the available space. Both cars have to be right near the walls and it leaves only a metre between them. Trouble is Ferrari doors are very wide and I've found it very difficult to manoeuvre the Ferrari in and out. Lots of clutch wear !

I'm now converting the side of the other double garage that I've been using as a workshop to house the MGC. That will leave plenty of space in the newer one for the Ferrari to sit dead centre with my bike on one side and a full length run of cupboards along the other for extra storage.

The MG will have to go outside when I need a workshop.

Are you rendering the inside walls ? I lined mine out with 9mm ply on battens which looks good and was very cost effective.

Name
    Ian

Yes it's a wide single but double length, lift at one end and workshop at the other. I actually have enough space for a double alongside the house but decided against it and went for a car port between it and the house with a wood/glass link/boot room at the far end. This way the garage doesn't block the light into that side of the house, and it's dedicated to the Ferrari and track car with plenty of room to open doors and work around the car. Not having to open it on a daily basis should help keep the dirt out - and I can fairly claim it as 'my space'

Walls will be rendered inside probably with a wooden strake at door height just in case, and it's high enough to have two cars stacked on the lift. First problem already discovered on day one as the engineer is insisting on 2.5m foundations! Roots and clay evidently

Your garage plan sounds great - can't have too much space. MGC outside - don't mention the cover ;)

Name
    Chris S

Quote Originally Posted by thecook View Post
    MGC outside - don't mention the cover ;)
    We also have a car port my wife's car lives in. The MGC can always go in there when the workshop space is needed.
    It's enclosed on three sides so almost a garage.

Here's a picture of the Ferrari garage and car port before it was finished. The garage door is 14ft wide but there was not room for big returns either side of the door as the IN driveway entrance is where the Golf is parked.
    It's now rendered and painted white and the left hand side of the car port has Austrian-style timber decoration with glass panels above.
    The floor in the car port and garage is fully tiled. There is a large Mitsubishi dehumidifier built in with an external water drain that goes into the gutter outlet. It keeps humidity down below 50%

Name:  D3s_8860e.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  85.2 KB

Name
    Nick Truman

Work is just finishing on my garage now. Its a wide double with a workshop to the side. I had the roof raised and 2m added to the length. The roof isn't high enough for a lift so I had a pit built, doubles as a real man cave

The most important addition is a door from the kitchen into the garage with a nice view of the Zonda and Ferrari (when it comes back from the restorer..)

Its a nice space now despite being full of builder's rubble and tools.

This is the view from my kitchen
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast