Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather care

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Default Leather care

I've read lots about leather care - whether you need to feed it, if it's painted leather or not, painted leather doesn't need fed/treated etc. Still not found the answer I'm looking for!

I'm looking for a definitive answer - is the leather on my 550 painted or dyed, i.e. should I use a leather feed or are the Dr Leather wipes enough?

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

I got my leather for a complete retrim of my car from Andrew Muirhead in Scotland, wouldn't go anywhere else Anyway they told me with modern tanning techniques there is no need to feed but I'm told with older leathers that's not necessarily the case. What I don't know is what the cutoff for not needing to feed is ie when did they change techniques.

How far from them are you? They're pretty much leaders in this field - if you drove to them they could give you a definitive answer on your leather.

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

I use Gliptone leather conditioner on my 360 and after a couple of applications the leather was noticeably more supple. Definitely not a placebo effect.....The smell? Well you'll either love it or hate it.
    More importantly follow the instructions.......

My drivers seat is having a minor repair now and when I get it back I will condition it whilst out of the car

Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    I use Gliptone leather conditioner on my 360 and after a couple of applications the leather was noticeably more supple. Definitely not a placebo effect.....The smell? Well you'll either love it or hate it.
    More importantly follow the instructions.......

My drivers seat is having a minor repair now and when I get it back I will condition it whilst out of the car
    Good product.

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

I use Gliptone at the moment, but then I read something that said all it does is sit on top of modern leather, attracting dirt - hence the confusion!

Name
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I got my leather for a complete retrim of my car from Andrew Muirhead in Scotland, wouldn't go anywhere else Anyway they told me with modern tanning techniques there is no need to feed but I'm told with older leathers that's not necessarily the case. What I don't know is what the cutoff for not needing to feed is ie when did they change techniques.

How far from them are you? They're pretty much leaders in this field - if you drove to them they could give you a definitive answer on your leather.
    About as close as London is to you - he's in Glasgow, aka the deep south

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mon the fish View Post
    About as close as London is to you - he's in Glasgow, aka the deep south
    Sorry, didn't know you were up there inside the arctic circle

Name
    Gordon

4 hours drive...

Name
    Pete

4 hours drive...
    Don't think we feel sorry for you, we've seen the photos - what a drive it would be!

Name
    Dave

I've read lots about leather care - whether you need to feed it, if it's painted leather or not, painted leather doesn't need fed/treated etc. Still not found the answer I'm looking for!

I'm looking for a definitive answer - is the leather on my 550 painted or dyed, i.e. should I use a leather feed or are the Dr Leather wipes enough?
    Gliptone will work wonders on your 550 mate , its old school leather , these modern leather seats are more in the likes of new BMW's Mercs and general cars . you can spot them a mile of because they have more of a vinyl plasticcy (yes i know thats not a word ) feel to them .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast