Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 599GTB - Modificato Project

F355GTS is online now Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

If the oil's been overfilled the breather pumps oil into the intake and damages the MAF, in extreme circumstances the oil drains into the air filter housing and then run down the rear of the front wing, coming out the side air vent and bottom of the wing liner. Ferrari issued amended oil filling procedures in around 2009 IIRC.

btw be aware the intakes are reversed i.e. offside intake/ MAF feeds the nearside bank and vice versa

Many of the electrical gremlins seem to be spurious errors that don't leave a trace in the error logs, low or bad battery is a prime candidate

Name
    Slapshot

I suffered intermittent ABS, Suspension, CST and manetino errors for a year until the problem was traced to a faulty 14 brake pedal switch. Common fault on the F430 and other models built around that time apparently.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    I suffered intermittent ABS, Suspension, CST and manetino errors for a year until the problem was traced to a faulty 14 brake pedal switch. Common fault on the F430 and other models built around that time apparently.
    Thanks that is exactly the kind of knowledge that helps massively because I can just change something like that for an improved one. Today shutting he door caused the tweeter housing to fall off.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  41.0 KB
    As you can see the 'design' work for the trim is horrible. What would in a volume producer be two or three parts is in the Ferrari loads of parts. Inspection of the passenger side shows that both have been fitted incorrectly at the factory. It is quite a fiddly process and although workers on the V12 line are never rushed for time feeding the edge into the rubber seal seems to have been optional for whomever fitted mine. The root cause is the tweeter wires which are fiddly to route properly so i have fixed that.

Anyway all fundamental improvement so no worries.

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    ..... and although workers on the V12 line are never rushed for time ......
    Kind of doubt it's any different on the V8 line.

F355GTS is online now Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Thanks that is exactly the kind of knowledge that helps massively because I can just change something like that for an improved one. Today shutting he door caused the tweeter housing to fall off.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  41.0 KB
    As you can see the 'design' work for the trim is horrible. What would in a volume producer be two or three parts is in the Ferrari loads of parts. Inspection of the passenger side shows that both have been fitted incorrectly at the factory. It is quite a fiddly process and although workers on the V12 line are never rushed for time feeding the edge into the rubber seal seems to have been optional for whomever fitted mine. The root cause is the tweeter wires which are fiddly to route properly so i have fixed that.

Anyway all fundamental improvement so no worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post

Probably not the factory either, suspect the trims have been off for some other reason, my drivers one fell off too

the brake light switch is a common source of problems across many manufactures inc Landrover and VAG, on the Discovery 3 a failed or even poor quality brake light bulb will cause multiple errors

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    In production engineering circles it is generally accepted that volume drives quality.

With the Toyota-style Just-In-Time manufacturing that Ferrari use each worker has with each vehicle cycle a chance to suggest and introduce improvements.

On the V8 line which is delivering 5-10x the number cars of the V12 line there are simply more opportunities to identify improvements, also any investment required to make design or tooling Improvements can be amortised over a significantly higher number of cars.

I would therefore submit that the two platforms would 'naturally' have different quality levels.

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Certainly when I was on the factory tour there were more people doing not very much on the V12 line.

On the V8 line the staff there seemed busier, there was less hanging about

Name
    CPD

In the business it's called the TAKT time, the tempo at which cars come of the line and hence the time each worker has to complete their cycle of work. In a Just-in-time system that would be the exact tempo of actual orders placed rather than some arbitrary 'forecast' or 'plan' that you see in old fashioned factories. At Ferrari (last time I looked) the V8 line runs to a TAKT expressed in hours while the V12 line is signifncantly slower paced. When there is nothing to do JIT line workers are expected to make and suggest improvements that's how the system runs with significantly lower cash tied up in inventory and higher quality than traditional mass production.

As a measure of relative sophistication my friends up at Nissan in Washington run a line with four different Models produced on the very same line in exact customer order sequence to a TAKT of 59 seconds - and at quality levels Ferrari can only dream of.

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

All understood. On the V12 line they have more time to get it just right. That'll explain why the car fell apart when you simply closed the door then

I'm teasing you

I am slightly surprised there are quite so many 'teething problems' though if I'm honest.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Good knows how bad the rejected cars were when you looked for this one !!!

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast