Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 599GTB - Modificato Project

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Good knows how bad the rejected cars were when you looked for this one !!!
    I wouldn't go that far, I'd think most are just sensor issues rather than major snags. Obviously would have been nice if the selling dealer had picked them up but I guess you can't have everything. Sure it'll be a great car when you've got it all sorted, Mod

Name
    cgt

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post

I am slightly surprised there are quite so many 'teething problems' though if I'm honest.

I had a 570S to play with a few weeks ago and it truly is impressive. Absolutely first class fit and finish, feels solid and expensive.

Considering that McLaren have only really been in the game for five years there really is no excuse for any other manufacturer at these price levels.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by cgt View Post
    I had a 570S to play with a few weeks ago and it truly is impressive. Absolutely first class fit and finish, feels solid and expensive.

Considering that McLaren have only really been in the game for five years there really is no excuse for any other manufacturer at these price levels.
    It's full of ex-Toyota / Honda / Nissan guys for a reason

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Good knows how bad the rejected cars were when you looked for this one !!!
    LOL one actually broke down with electrical failure on the test drive and had me abandoning the seller and the car by the roadside. It's currently for sale for 120k and the owner suggested 'it had never done this before' but knew exactly where the manual boot releases where and how to attempt to re-boot the car. I left him with advice to "just put your hand in your pocket, get it on an SD3 and fix everything it is telling you needs doing".

This may be controversial and is not meant with any malice nor implied superiority complex but I rarely see V12's at this stage in their lives being run by people who can actually afford to run them. These are cars that can only really be run with a money no object approach or someone who knows a fair bit about cars, has access to a good independent shop and / or can put in the research to narrow down known issues and fix inherent weaknesses.

Many cars for sale are super low mileage examples which means people are either time-poor or cash poor and neither are good for the health of this kind of car.

If I didn't have the time and money to do this I would have deliberately bought a higher mileage car.

Name
    CPD

I wouldn't go that far, I'd think most are just sensor issues rather than major snags. Obviously would have been nice if the selling dealer had picked them up:
    I agree with this and I hate to pound on main dealers but it received a full service at a Ferrari franchise dealer before sale and they clearly didn't fix issues that had been raised with them.

Further when I rang my local Ferrari dealer, asked to speak with the shop guy, - I always let them know I am tech savvy - he flat out lied to me about the inter connection between systems and error messages. He suggested none of the systems on the car are connected so a fault in the parking sensor is not going to cause an error message relating to something else...when I asked if they were all on the same CAN he stammered and changed the subject.

I appreciate that most people they deal with on a daily basis don't know much but I gave him plenty of info without being arrogant or anything to let him know I knew my way around automotive problems and would be able to hold the amount of 'work' required to account. 275 to plug in an SD3 and run a diagnostic is too steep in any language and IMPO should be free given that a service has just supposedly been performed.
    I would love the indies on here to tell us how much actual 'work' this diagnostic contains or whether it can be done whilst you do something else like we all do when running a washing machine or running a diagnostic on our computers....

I am sure we will all learn a lot in the coming weeks.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Well once you have snagged all the annoying issues you will have a car that looks the muts nuts

Name
    Pete

275 to plug in a bit of kit designed to tell them what they failed to pick up before? Yep, I'd have to agree - surely they can foot that particular bill. There's a distinct difference between being maintained with a 'money no object' approach and a customer being treated like a complete idiot which is what they seem to be doing........ all IMO obviously. Your call but frankly I would have laughed at them when they suggested I pay in order to diagnose their own lack of care (incompetence, my first thought, seemed a tad harsh).

Name
    CPD

275 to plug in a bit of kit designed to tell them what they failed to pick up before? Yep, I'd have to agree - surely they can foot that particular bill. There's a distinct difference between being maintained with a 'money no object' approach and a customer being treated like a complete idiot which is what they seem to be doing........ all IMO obviously. Your call but frankly I would have laughed at them when they suggested I pay in order to diagnose their own lack of care (incompetence, my first thought, seemed a tad harsh).
    Yeah it's when that happens that your realise they are all 'official dealers' BUT independent. The dealer that did the service has offered to liaise with my local dealer so I am going to take it from there and see what gives. Agree with you that money no object does not mean rip-me-off. I was more referring to the idea that if a part needs replacing - replace it.

My first ever Ferrari had a busted wing mirror that had been glued back on - quite skilfully as it happened - by yet another in a long line of what I call 'spend-to-pretend' former owners.

Name
    CPD

Okay back to the basis for the project.

As I mentioned in an earlier post since doing the Ferrari Mille Miglia tribute back in 2011 I had made a vow to do it again. Last time out I did it in a 2003 456M GT and it spawned a conversation with one of my fellow entrants - a Mr Metcalfe of EVO fame - as to what the perfect car to the event would be. Bear in mind it's restricted to modern Ferraris and subject to classic Italian 'jury selection' what would be the best car? That year Harry did it in his 550 Barchetta and we both agreed it would be absolutely draining to do it in any of the then current V8's. I genuinely think the 599 will become a much loved car and decent bet for long term value. I say this because the 550 / 456M will realistically be the last V12 Manuals (only 30 599 manuals exist) and a mate who has driven one in Italy says it is almost un-drivable in town due to a flywheel / clutch combination that was very much designed for the F1 system.

The 575 I think will struggle the most for identity because it's F1 system is just too sluggish and auto mode to unrefined for future demand.

I like my F1 430 as the visceral changes are quite in character but the 599's F1 super fast is in a whole different league. Auto mode in the 599 is great and the first F1 auto mode I have truly rated.

The ride however on our 'write-to-your-MP-they-are-so-bad' roads is just a tad too hard for my tastes and unbecoming of an intercontinental GT. Maybe a few more miles on it will improve things but I made my mind up during the car search that the on-paper more desirable HGTE set-up is not really fit for my purpose of driving 1000 miles to Brescia, 1000miles around Italy at 9/10ths and 1000miles back home. My car is already fitted with the 20inch challenge wheels but shod with old tech Pirelli's which I want to ditch but currently Micheiln have supply issues in the correct fitting. I may have to do the event on old Pirellis which would be unbearable to me.

I will be working on the car just to make sure everything is 100% for May and as you can imagine I have everything crossed right now that my entry is accepted.

Watch this space
    Last edited by Modificato; 23-03-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Yeah it's when that happens that your realise they are all 'official dealers' BUT independent. The dealer that did the service has offered to liaise with my local dealer so I am going to take it from there and see what gives. Agree with you that money no object does not mean rip-me-off. I was more referring to the idea that if a part needs replacing - replace it.

My first ever Ferrari had a busted wing mirror that had been glued back on - quite skilfully as it happened - by yet another in a long line of what I call 'spend-to-pretend' former owners.
    I guess I was imagining you were going back to the servicing dealer. Sounds like that would be inconvenient but I think I would. Still, let's hope it's just a few electrical gremlins and not going to be anything serious. I actually think all those warnings flashing up at once is a good thing - far too much of a coincidence to be actual failures of those systems, has to be software or electrical system glitches.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast