Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 599GTB - Modificato Project

Name
    CPD

So the beast of Brescia is back and the level of work is stunning. The new panels fit great and the rear three quarter panel is better than the original! The car is now sporting a full Carbon genuine GTO rear bumper and diffuser which has just subtly tweaked the looks as well as enhancing the rear aero.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  93.9 KB
    Closer
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  85.8 KB
    Next stop suspension overhaul
    Bumper was a direct fit apart from two fog light brackets that needed the correct GTO brackets
    Last edited by Modificato; 22-11-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Name
    Mark

Very nice! Exhausts need a polish to finish it off.

Name
    CPD

probably going aftermarket or HGTE tips...

Name
    Mark

Funnily enough I actually prefer yours to the HGTE version, though I appreciate they are a nod back to the 250 GTO.

Name
    CPD

Car booked in for complete suspension overhaul / upgrade first thing in the new year.

New flamblocs, ball joints, track rods, custom adjustable drop links, geometry tweeks and fresh rubber for the front. Circa 7k spend in total but what is required with most components at Amber. We will also fit some new CCM discs but I have some part worn ones sitting here that I may fit first depending if SD3 allows us to re-set the wear records accordingly.

Will post pics of the work for some after Christmas reading.

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Look forward to seeing it

Name
    Mark

Sounds good. It's nice to know the suspension is tip-top, after all it's one of the main reasons along with the engine that these cars are so good.

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Sounds good. It's nice to know the suspension is tip-top, after all it's one of the main reasons along with the engine that these cars are so good.
    Yes along with the GT Porsches the suspension engineering is up there with the best.

The down side of course is 20-30k mileage refurbs that are not cheap and so often deferred.

Name
    CPD

Default The vague world of CCM wear and weights

Well the re-furb was going to plan until it came to the CCM brakes.

My current set (from new) shows 93% wear according to the dash algorithm and recorded on SD3 so my initial plan was get them re-furbished by SICOM.

I was delighted to be alerted to a 60% worn set in the classifieds on this very forum. The plan was thus modified to fit these in the meantime, get my own set refurbished later in the year to smooth out the costs and ensure minimum downtime. Imagine my disappointment when we finally get them in the workshop today and the supplied set show all but one* below the weight limit.

Fronts: Minimum weight 6200grams -Actual weights 6220* and 6152 grams
    Rears: Minimum weight 6615grams - Actual weights 6611 and 6568 grams

This now forces a decision I don't want to make having already spent >1000 on a set of 'cores' do I go SICOM or go to Surface transforms owns discs at circa 8k. I know there have been issues with SICOM and I have of course messaged the forum seller of the '60% worn set' to see what he thinks.

The more I dig into the CCM2 subject the darker it gets.

I read Voicey's account of a Cali showing 12% disc wear on a car with all discs under the limit and I can confirm that you don't need any code for an SD3 to do that unscrupulously.

A visual inspection of those discs on Vociey's website shows that those discs have extensive 'swiss-cheesing' (pitted as the material comes off the disc) which is not at all evident on either set of mine but nevertheless the weights are what they are.

We will now have to weigh the existing fitted set to confirm their actual wear at 93% but what would really help are some 'as-new' weights for totally accurate comparison.

So...

If anyone knows the brand new weights of a set of 599 CCM's discs and bell-housings please post so we can get some benchmark for myself and other owners.

Name
    Mark

Ahh, yes, do not rely on that dash algorithm! My advice to people asking me about CCM conversions has been do not have it enabled in the cluster. It's worth noting that some manufacturers now are moving away from weighing discs because it's not really that reliable either: in situations where a car has been driven on the road it's generally OK, but cars that are driven hard suffer from excessive pad material transfer which can artificially bolster the weight. I've become pretty deft at evaluating CCMs by eye.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast