Thread: 360 f1 buying advice

Name
    Steve oneill

Default 360 f1 buying advice

What are the latest thoughts on the f1 gearbox.

Has knowledge increased and things settled down with this box or is it simply a lottery. Car I am looking to buy has been serviced well and a new clutch recently fitted.

How do values compare with manuals.

Thanks

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Not done a detailed study but I'd have thought that the manual varient of cars where there was an F1 option will always hold a premium over the 'automatics' (said merely to annoy Kyodo ) . It's just a numbers thing - if more F1s were sold then the 3 peddle manuals will likely hold a small premium.

Reliability wise I can't see the F1 on the 355/360 suddenly becoming more reliable (isn't it the pump that tends to go?) but I'm sure most owners have no snags at all. I'd be tempted to drive both and see which one you enjoy more - could buy an F1 and be fine or a 3 pedal manual and have the gearbox go, just no telling.

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

In theory the clutch should wear a bit faster on the F1, but if the car you're looking at has had it done it's not really a concern

In terms of values, I doubt you'll see a real-terms change in value for gearbox type - i.e. you'll pay a slight premium for a manual over an F1 now, which I expect to be the same when you sold it

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mon the fish; 04-05-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Name
    Simon

I'd recommend you get over to Aldous Voice website. That has a detailed (obsessive) traders analysis of 360 values including F1/manual differentials. Its like having our very own monthly investors digest! The man needs a medal.
    I got F1 to replace my manual 348 because I was intrigued by the idea of flappy paddle. It's cool, especially razzing up alpine passes where you can play tunes with downshifts and nail the exits!
    From my reading, the main issue is the F1 pump which can let go. There is a cheap Alfa Romeo part...which is the same without Ferrari -Tax. The other problem is the pump relay which is underspecced...in which case Aldous also shows you how to upgrade it cheaply and simply along with many other wondrous tips and hints!

I have had the click clack classic gate and now the F1 experience. Both great. In a 360, I would get F1 and trouser the cost differential which equates to about 4 years serving costs!

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

F1 system needs to be in good condition and well set-up. It will drive lovely then. My advice would be to try it to see how you get on and if possible try a couple to compare them.

Pump and relay are cheap to replace and effectively wear items. Clutch wear rate will depend on software, set-up and driving style. I honestly cannot see how mine would wear a clutch more than a manual with the way I drive it....

Expensive items are the hydraulic controls but they seem to be fairly reliable and as the cars age more people should start to rebuild them.

Later cars (03 onwards) use a later gearbox control unit but this can also be easily fitted into earlier cars.

SD2/3 will give a clutch percentage remaining (and a host of useful other info) unless the settings have been fiddled with.

Name
    Mark Wibberley

Note that its very hard to get off to a fast start with an F1 box, for the first 20 metres you will be about a quarter of a second slower than a manual.

If that's important to you...

I've had a few bits to replace on my F1 360, but my car is used heavily and they have been an inconvenience more than anything - pump and selector went.

Personally I find the paddles brilliant, keeping hands on the steering wheel make sense to me, would have another if I change my car

Name
    Dave McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Not done a detailed study but I'd have thought that the manual varient of cars where there was an F1 option will always hold a premium over the 'automatics' (said merely to annoy Kyodo ) . It's just a numbers thing - if more F1s were sold then the 3 peddle manuals will likely hold a small premium.

Reliability wise I can't see the F1 on the 355/360 suddenly becoming more reliable (isn't it the pump that tends to go?) but I'm sure most owners have no snags at all. I'd be tempted to drive both and see which one you enjoy more - could buy an F1 and be fine or a 3 pedal manual and have the gearbox go, just no telling.
    Good advice I had my 355F1 over 7 years when the system pump give in, I sorted it myself not an issue if you have facilities and the tech savvy to do it and can find a pump. I have a manual 360 now but that was not by choice if they had been side by side it would have been the F1.