Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chipex Paint/chip repair

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

That looks really good. Nice job

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

That does look good. I know I tried to do too much at once. Mine was more of a rash as I unfortunately witnessed a red light runner and the debris from the car in front that was hit peppered the bonnet of mine. Probably wants a repainted bonnet.

achaddy is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

Default Chipex Paint/chip repair

I have bought and used this kit. One thing I liked about it is it is a 1 coat paint mix so no dabbing base colour and then clear on top. Never thought it user friendly when trying to touch in chips.
    It's also not too expensive against other paint stick options. My Audi 2 coat touch up kit cost 20 and that's just 2 tubes of paint with a brush big enough to paint the whole car.
    As for the results I think it's all about practice. The theory is good and while I haven't quite mastered their method you can always build it up, flat it back slight and polish.
    From my experience I find I always seem to wash the paint out of the chip when using the blend in solution.

Name
    Mark

I agree with you about technique. The first time I tried it I seemed to wash the paint straight out, but figured I hadn't left it long enough. Started over again & left it a bit longer, until the paint was tacky dry, then used the solution. I felt the trick was not to apply any/too much pressure with the solution. It does say in the instructions to let it do the work for you. Once I'd finished that, used the polish they supply in the kit (which appears to be similar to T-cut etc) and it bought it up well. I used my Razeglaze 55 over the top & job done!

I've also since used the kit on a couple of scratches under my bumper after a small conflict with a speed hump. I wasn't too worried about the finish as you can't see it really, even when getting down on the floor and looking, but I'm really pleased with that result too.

Name
    birdseye

And how about the colour match? I bought an aerosol from Halfords and watched carefully as the girl weighed out the various colours to make up the required shade only to fin on use that the shade wasnt a match. It seems that there are several rosso corsas.

dave964 is offline No I'm Spartacus Club Member
    Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    And how about the colour match? I bought an aerosol from Halfords and watched carefully as the girl weighed out the various colours to make up the required shade only to fin on use that the shade wasnt a match. It seems that there are several rosso corsas.
    I had Rosso Corsa mixed up by Halfords - using the correct code - and it was perfect.

I have chipex for my current car, and it's also an excellent match - but obviously you need to be choosing the right colour in the first place.

Name
    Mike N

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    You should have a sticker in the luggage space with a paint code on it. More than 1 rosso corsa etc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12