Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F355 Spider to F430 Spider - Advice/Thoughts etc

Name
    Russell

Default F355 Spider to F430 Spider - Advice/Thoughts etc

Spending countless hours looking at Piston Heads/Autotrader and You Tube videos and attending the various events over the summer I seem to have developed F430 itch that I think needs to be scratched.

My car is currently in a franchised dealer having been serviced and not yet up for sale, having had a conversation with them, unsurprisingly a PX deal appears to be a terrible way to proceed (for me) usual dealer talk about etc. It's in very good condition, circa 30k miles and I'm the 3rd owner.

I am considering selling on a commission basis through someone reasonably well known to some on here - a decent fella.

In terms of spec, I am reasonably easy, I'm not bothered about colour (within reason) I do want low mileage say circa 25k and would prefer Daytona seats, but would overlook this for the right deal.

My question for you guys is how much money you think it is worth spending for this upgrade to something ore modern, and what things I should be looking for, and are there any extras that I simply should have. Also some guidance on price would be useful in that there seems to be some differential between older and newer cars and obviously some differential in terms of mileage, but there are anomalies and I can't really figure out why some are more expensive than others.

Any thoughts/opinions/guidance would be gratefully received.

markst is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX
    Name
    Mark

almost a straight swap !!

anyway , having had 2 x 430s,.....the must haves from an options point of view are factory shields, the carbon fibre dash inserts, and of course the Daytona seats !!.

oh and a manual gearbox

but buy on condition !!

Name
    CPD

IMHO the anomalies are down to period options that don't translate to a regular classified ad.

Example if a 430 has ticked every box in the carrozeria scaglietti personalisation program the original owner will have spent half the list price again on the car.

CCM's are another factor that transforms the car and its handling so rightly attract a premium.

A base level standard car or a LHD well spec'd should be around 80k these days and a RHD special one up around the 100k mark.

I wouldn't let mine go for less than 110k these days so I imagine you need to move quickly before the inevitable appreciation kicks stronger in which looks like it has with 458's and 488's being so much more on top.

As ever the low volume Ferrari market tries to get by on mugging people in PX and purchase.

Can't imagine why more are not sold privately with seller purchased warranties to be frank

candellara is offline You thought the Enzo was ugly? - The Ferrari FXX Club Member
    Name
    Candellara

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post

As ever the low volume Ferrari market tries to get by on mugging people in PX and purchase.

Can't imagine why more are not sold privately with seller purchased warranties to be frank
    The Main Dealers such as Inchcape and Sytner have sizeable overheads and official Main dealer warranties - cost them alot of money. I think you'd be surprised at the net margins some of the main dealers achieve on used cars. As for mugging people - i don't necessarily agree. Yes, you'll pay top retail money but hopefully this is countered by the peace of mind such a purchase affords. PX - yes, many people always think their car is worth so much more by trawling through PH ads. Unfortunately, the Dealer's PX or trade in price will be an insight into the correct "trade value". IIRC when by Stradale was retailing at 90k in 2011 ish, the "trade" offer / bid was 73k. LHD 430 Spiders at the bottom end / higher mileage (35k miles)can be bought from as little as €75,000 in Europe and that's retail pricing - not trade.

Aftermarket warranties are not worth the paper they are written on when it comes to any luxury car brand
    Last edited by candellara; 15-11-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Name
    CPD

I am well aware of the margins and low volumes of Ferraris but conversely I am also aware of the economies available to the Fiat group.

I think the car dealership model is at least ten years past its sell-by date. Our UK local Ferrari dealership has spent loads making it a place to hang out yet I can't think of anywhere worse to 'hang out'. It's hardly got any parking anyway so when it's outside terrace ever gets full of people drinking the pelligrini and cappuccino I will bare my Arse in the showroom window. I can configure a car on line now and arrange servicing the same way. When car makers were making cars to a forecast instead of actual orders the dealer served as a good buffer and source of market intelligence. Today all of that function can be done on-line and with direct connections. I just bought a high end kitchen configured exactly to our needs and placed our order virtually and directly with the factory.

Dealers are for consumers a necessary evil but a mere hangover from more primitive times and the way they are incentivised and thus arbitrate their 'important' customers will come back to bite them long term. Where Ferrari have ended up is selling an increasing number of cars to fewer 'qualified' customers with an increasing average age. They are on a path that strategically makes no sense at all.

I am trying to think what value my dealer adds these days and if anything they add an unnecessary step in the whole process.

Servicing-wise they have helped with their knowledge and work but everything else?

Forget it.

Their overheads are their concern not mine and if I can avoid paying for them I will.

FYI in Italy my local Ferrari dealer is Fiat, Lancia, Chrysler, Maserati and Ferrari so it's overheads are spread.

Name
    Carper Mike

Just looked on "CarWow" website.

Disappointingly ( but not surprisingly ) Ferrari are not listed

Bentley & Maserati are though.

Name
    Geoff T

Quote Originally Posted by Carper View Post
    Just looked on "CarWow" website.

Disappointingly ( but not surprisingly ) Ferrari are not listed

Bentley & Maserati are though.
    And no Lambo's

It does seem that the second hand Gallardo and Hurucan are quite good value, as their depreciation seems to be more than the equivalent Ferrari.

Name
    Carper Mike

so when it's outside terrace ever gets full of people drinking the pelligrini and cappuccino I will bare my Arse in the showroom window.
    Careful you don't set yourself up for a "Linneker" moment here

Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by markst View Post
    almost a straight swap !!

anyway , having had 2 x 430s,.....the must haves from an options point of view are factory shields, the carbon fibre dash inserts, and of course the Daytona seats !!.

oh and a manual gearbox

but buy on condition !!
    A straight swap would be great, sadly dealers don't like that sort of thing. Now, finding an owner of perfectly specced 430 that wants to have something a little prettier might be the answer.

Name
    Russell

I am well aware of the margins and low volumes of Ferraris but conversely I am also aware of the economies available to the Fiat group.

I think the car dealership model is at least ten years past its sell-by date. Our UK local Ferrari dealership has spent loads making it a place to hang out yet I can't think of anywhere worse to 'hang out'. It's hardly got any parking anyway so when it's outside terrace ever gets full of people drinking the pelligrini and cappuccino I will bare my Arse in the showroom window. I can configure a car on line now and arrange servicing the same way. When car makers were making cars to a forecast instead of actual orders the dealer served as a good buffer and source of market intelligence. Today all of that function can be done on-line and with direct connections. I just bought a high end kitchen configured exactly to our needs and placed our order virtually and directly with the factory.

Dealers are for consumers a necessary evil but a mere hangover from more primitive times and the way they are incentivised and thus arbitrate their 'important' customers will come back to bite them long term. Where Ferrari have ended up is selling an increasing number of cars to fewer 'qualified' customers with an increasing average age. They are on a path that strategically makes no sense at all.

I am trying to think what value my dealer adds these days and if anything they add an unnecessary step in the whole process.

Servicing-wise they have helped with their knowledge and work but everything else?

Forget it.

Their overheads are their concern not mine and if I can avoid paying for them I will.

FYI in Italy my local Ferrari dealer is Fiat, Lancia, Chrysler, Maserati and Ferrari so it's overheads are spread.
    Certainly in my recent and very limited experience, it seems that they are only really interested in selling new cars and taking same/previous generation cars as p/x. Bearing in mind the very vibrant market in older cars and the hugely loyal brand following from guys that don't have the resources for a new model, but do need their cars serviced and repaired and do from time to time upgrade to newer models, I think the franchised dealers are missing a trick and in some cases doing the brand a disservice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast