Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Decent wax

Name
    Mark Wibberley

Yes, there is some skill involved in taking a raw product as hard as concrete and blending it so it can be spread easily.

But so many brands are disingenuous about their contents, we just decided to follow the really big brands convention

I'm not so sure there has been a quantum shift away from wax to sealants or glass coatings, many people still use both and its only the more vociferous that together give the impression of a wholesale shift. Especially as the costs of the new products are higher than many are used to paying too, though at the top end there's been more change. But overall, that's not the bulk of the market in revenue terms. Glass coats are still relatively new.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Mark

Does having a ceramic coating applied (as you say to properly prepared paint) and then waxing on top of that work OK?

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Agreed with the first point and as I said, really like your Race Glaze 55. Will be giving it a go once my Swisswax runs out.

As for using other coatings so you don't need to wax your car, maybe I'm a bit sad but I actually enjoy waxing my car and seeing it gleam afterwards. Added to which waxes like RG 55 and Swisswax smell fantastic, really natural. I've always found cheap waxes (talking the sort you might pick up in Halfords) smell 'chemically' and synthetic whereas the more expensive waxes smell of natural ingredients.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 29-11-2016 at 06:50 PM.

Name
    Rooony

Yes, I have fully clayed the car and polished using the DA.... Its now back in the Carcoon until I either use the last bit or Dodo or buy some 55... So is it best to use a product prior to applying the wax? if so what do you suggest?

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post
    Other quality pre-wax cleaners will do the same job, but if you have polished the paint using your DA you'd still be advised to pre-wax as many compounds can leave a lot of fillers and oils behind, which you'd be best removing to ensure the wax adheres properly.
    Clay will remove any bonded on debris but is a mechanical rather than chemical process

Name
    Mark Wibberley

Roony - now you've got it prepped you ought to use a pre-wax as you are clearly doing the job thoroughly, there are many alternatives but products like our Race Glaze Signature Pre-wax (pink, 250ml 15), P21S/R222 (350ml, 14.99), Zymol HD Cleanse (hard to work, expensive (30 for 250ml)) or Dodo Lime Prime Lite (on offer at 9.90 for 250ml)will do the job. We stock them all, there are others available like the Swissvax one which works very well but costs 34 (250ml) and for no appreciable gain. Then wax.

Francis - waxing over Ceramic coatings can add some sparkle and as Pete says, is quite satisfying for those who wish to commune with their car. Wax wont lengthen the life of the coating really, especially on our sorts of car.

Name
    Rooony

Thanks Mark.. I might just order some dodo if you think it will do the same job with the 55....

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post
    Roony - now you've got it prepped you ought to use a pre-wax as you are clearly doing the job thoroughly, there are many alternatives but products like our Race Glaze Signature Pre-wax (pink, 250ml 15), P21S/R222 (350ml, 14.99), Zymol HD Cleanse (hard to work, expensive (30 for 250ml)) or Dodo Lime Prime Lite (on offer at 9.90 for 250ml)will do the job. We stock them all, there are others available like the Swissvax one which works very well but costs 34 (250ml) and for no appreciable gain. Then wax.

Francis - waxing over Ceramic coatings can add some sparkle and as Pete says, is quite satisfying for those who wish to commune with their car. Wax wont lengthen the life of the coating really, especially on our sorts of car.

mon the fish is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Committee Member
    Name
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Roony View Post
    Thanks Mark.. I might just order some dodo if you think it will do the same job with the 55....
    Double check you order the right thing - there's Lime Prime and Lime Prime Lite. The normal Lime Prime is a more aggressive polish, and will remove some swirls etc

Name
    Mark Wibberley

yes, good point - make sure its Lite.

Will work fine with our 55 wax

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234