Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Average failure rates and fix costs ?

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    my thoughts too but would be nice to know actual results.

A full suspension refurb which I need for the 599 before the Mille Miglia is around 3000 in parts alone so I would like to know what the life expectancy of the up-graded parts is.

At 23k miles my 599 needs a full suspension overhaul, CCM's are 90% worn etc. So all of this is useful for those intending to drive these cars.

Could do with a bidding war for the work next...
    I've had HE BJ's fitted on the front (upper & lower) for 18k miles and there is no play in any of them which is a bit surprising given all the speed bumps near me () and the **** state of the local roads....

The rears are original and have no play in them either so 40k miles but the upright doesn't have to rotate....

I had an interesting conversation with my tech on belt tensioner bearings at my last service....it was anti the accumulated wisdom......

We really could do with a way to index a proper technical section. It would be a major benefit to the site.
    Last edited by Mike01606; 25-11-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Name
    Mark

If I had a 360 and I was keeping it for good I would not change belts and tensioners at the Ferrari interval. It is ludicrous.

Name
    Jeff

Are we talking just parts costs or labour too as that's quite often the biggest part of the bill....???? Also to consider whether using OE parts/aftermarket/2nd hand etc

BTW The clutch slave cylinder went on my 348 which I replaced myself using the Hill's version. Looking back through the old invoices I noticed that it had already been replaced earlier in the cars life so in this case the genuine article are not much cop :-(

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

All of this is a good idea, well done Mod, and we'll chat about it within the committee. If we agree it would be a good idea it's likely to come down to one point - who's going to invest considerable time setting it up and then running it? If left to it's own devices and everyone just posts randomly it's likely that any section of this type would over time become unwieldy and impossibly to find anything in. We may be looking for a volunteer

Name
    CPD

In order to simplify things we could just list by model and mileage buckets of 10k a time.

So for example:- Ferrari 599
    0-10k
    10-20k
    20-30k
    30-40k
    40-50k

parts and labour is good to track as for example on the older models some indies have worked ways to do jobs for significantly less. Talking with my local reputable indie they are going to need to innovate in this niche especially as they are unlikely to see new tipos for seven years from now on. The same will be true of up-rated parts as the service included cars will continue to receive factory parts until they drop out of the scheme.

For different reasons the new tipos need tracking independently within those 7years otherwise we will probably face a stonewall from the SpA

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    In order to simplify things we could just list by model and mileage buckets of 10k a time.

So for example:- Ferrari 599
    0-10k
    10-20k
    20-30k
    30-40k
    40-50k

parts and labour is good to track as for example on the older models some indies have worked ways to do jobs for significantly less. Talking with my local reputable indie they are going to need to innovate in this niche especially as they are unlikely to see new tipos for seven years from now on. The same will be true of up-rated parts as the service included cars will continue to receive factory parts until they drop out of the scheme.

For different reasons the new tipos need tracking independently within those 7years otherwise we will probably face a stonewall from the SpA
    Hmm

How many models are there?

To be quite honest for me and my 308GT4 there are just not enough owners on here to get a meaningful answer, and so my first port of call is the 308 section on Fchat where there are also a number of UK owners that I know.

Now that might be disrespectful to this forum but it is reality.

Maybe there are certain tipos that have a good following on here (348 ) that could make some threads worthwhile - but otherwise

Name
    Pete

348 wise, many of us know each other in person so we often chat off forum to get ideas if we know another owner has had a similar snag to one we are currently experiencing. Not as scientific as Mod's suggestion obviously.

F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Name
    Mark Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    348 wise, many of us know each other in person so we often chat off forum to get ideas if we know another owner has had a similar snag to one we are currently experiencing. Not as scientific as Mod's suggestion obviously.
    Pete
    Could be a useful resource but given the effort involved can it be put on the club side so that only those that give a little gain the benefit (come on it's only a tenner a Year!)

As regards splitting it up by model tbh I doubt there's the traffic, perhaps for 348/355/360 which are more prevalent but cars like 599, FF, 458 etc are in single numbers

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    Pete
    Could be a useful resource but given the effort involved can it be put on the club side so that only those that give a little gain the benefit (come on it's only a tenner a Year!)

As regards splitting it up by model tbh I doubt there's the traffic, perhaps for 348/355/360 which are more prevalent but cars like 599, FF, 458 etc are in single numbers
    All food for thought and personally I agree about it being a club resource if we go for it.

Regarding splitting it up I think it's really a case of if you split it up too much and you get single entries for given models, not at all and you'd end up with a long list you can't find anything in. Think we'd need to find a balance between those 2 extremes.

Kyodo is offline Frankenstein's monster - The Ferrari F430 Club Member
    Name
    Mark

I could be tempted to spend a bit of time on the 360 side of things. I'd been planning to add ownership experience inc. running costs etc to my little play site (currently just the road trip info). If I do, I don't mind sharing if it's in the member part.

M

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast