Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 bare metal respray - costs?

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Default 308 bare metal respray - costs?

My 308 is currently having the leather redone and whilst there I have asked for a ball park figure for a respray.
    The reason is that all four corners have rust bubbling through, there are a couple on the bonnet and engine cover and there is some micro blistering on the engine cover. New metal will almost certainly be required to the four corners. As a consequence I am advised that a full bare metal respray will be required.
    Given this what would you folks think would be a ball park figure to have this work done (The car is a GTS so the roof does not require painting)?
    And who should I be looking at to do it, assuming I do not give the job to where it is now? I live in West Yorkshire.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by sweeni View Post
    My 308 is currently having the leather redone and whilst there I have asked for a ball park figure for a respray.
    The reason is that all four corners have rust bubbling through, there are a couple on the bonnet and engine cover and there is some micro blistering on the engine cover. New metal will almost certainly be required to the four corners. As a consequence I am advised that a full bare metal respray will be required.
    Given this what would you folks think would be a ball park figure to have this work done (The car is a GTS so the roof does not require painting)?
    And who should I be looking at to do it, assuming I do not give the job to where it is now? I live in West Yorkshire.
    10 - 12K depending on metalwork required is my guess Dave.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Obviously Charwells isn't too far away. I've had work done there before (paint) and was very happy with the result. Probably not the cheapest but then you probably get what you pay for to an extent. That said, seem to recall GP telling me a full respray of the 348 there would be less than Francis' 'quote'. Maybe that's a north/south thing though. They also guarantee all their work although I forget the time period. Couldn't hurt to give them a bell. If you do, I'd be interested in the answer for future reference, by pm if necessary

http://www.chartwells.net/ferrari
    Last edited by Nosevi; 25-02-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Name
    GQ

Im having mine done at the moment, not bare metal however new metal used where filler might be provided by others - 4k. Looked at their work and very good.

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
    Im having mine done at the moment, not bare metal however new metal used where filler might be provided by others - 4k. Looked at their work and very good.
    Is that Chartwells?

Name
    Mark

I can recommend http://www.smsautospray.co.uk/pastwork.htm I phoned around a lot of companies for a full resto on a Fiesta (try to put that to one side for a moment - the standard I work to is irrespective of that). Some companies quoted the earth when bare metal was mentioned but based on the results I did not see that value.

On my project I stripped the trim and sent the car to them rolling, then SMS fitted a pair of new front wings, bare-metalled the entire car - including the entire underside in matching colour, and finished to concourse show standard for 3,300. That was in 2013. The finish remains as it was - one of the better paint jobs I've seen.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  104.2 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  96.7 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  103.2 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  85.2 KB

More pics here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...t=975921&i=220

Mulc is offline Girl's Porsche Boxster Club Member
    Name
    Malcolm

At Aston, we used to subcontract work out during heavy periods. Average ball park figure in 2008 was approx 14,000. Admittedly they were difficult colours ie Glacial Blue.
    I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

I imagine there's a lot of time/work/money between driving a car in for a respray and delivering a bare shell

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    I can recommend http://www.smsautospray.co.uk/pastwork.htm I phoned around a lot of companies for a full resto on a Fiesta (try to put that to one side for a moment - the standard I work to is irrespective of that). Some companies quoted the earth when bare metal was mentioned but based on the results I did not see that value.

On my project I stripped the trim and sent the car to them rolling, then SMS fitted a pair of new front wings, bare-metalled the entire car - including the entire underside in matching colour, and finished to concourse show standard for 3,300. That was in 2013. The finish remains as it was - one of the better paint jobs I've seen.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  104.2 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  96.7 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  103.2 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  85.2 KB

More pics here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...t=975921&i=220
    Well those castors at the back make a change from the two metal trays stolen from the local pub.

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    I imagine there's a lot of time/work/money between driving a car in for a respray and delivering a bare shell
    Yes, but not 9k+

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast