Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 308 bare metal respray - costs?

Name
    Philip

I had my 308 done probably 10+ years ago. The going rate was about 4k as 308s are apparently very troublesome to dismntle and paint properly.
    Mototechnique did mine and if I remember I paid around 14k
    It was about the same time as a lot of 308 owners were sending their cars to a shop called Asla automotive in Wales. It was one guy doing it for a fixed price of 2.5k
    Then I think he put the price up to around 4k and hired another guy. He was worked off his feet and I think the waiting list got to nearly a year!
    My point is there may be large discrepancies between quotes
    When I did it I think the value of the car was not more than 30k but as I plan never to sell, and it's original paint was getting a bit tired, I said what the hell and gave it the best. There was also a very small bit of corrosion that needed fixing by the base of the wheel arch (smaller than the size of your palm) that was costed in.
    I also did my 993 about 3 yrs ago and the going rate for a very good job is around 10k.

AndrewE is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Andrew

Paintbarn just outside Southampton may be worth a shout http://www.paintbarn.co.uk/index.html
    I realise that is a LONG way from where you are though!

They recently quoted for a bare metal for my 308 after I had seen some other 308s being done there - It sounds like mine is not too dissimilar in condition to yours sweeni - I won't tell you their quote here but you could pm me - it was less than 5 figures though

Haven't got round to having mine done yet but they are high on the list

Name
    Simon Stroud

Default Anything over 4.5k is far to much.

Had a bear metal respray on my 355 Spider done by club member in kent 4k ish great job.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

I think a lot of it depends on what is found when you get down to the bare metal. I had a partial paint job done on my GT4 2 years ago which required quite a bit of metal replacement. That cost 3.5K as far as I remember.

4K for a full bare metal job, with whatever is found? I very much doubt it. I still think you should be budgeting in 4 figures Dave. It will not be good news once they get the paint off.

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

I think Francis has a point - it'll depend a bit on what they find. Quote I had was for about 6k from a Ferrari approved place I seem to recall but that was with no rust coz there isn't any (dehumififier and all that )

Seriously though if there's likely to be significant work over and above the actual paint, estimates without seeing it are going to vary wildly.

swnyradar is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 355fiorano View Post
    It was about the same time as a lot of 308 owners were sending their cars to a shop called Asla automotive in Wales. It was one guy doing it for a fixed price of 2.5k
    Then I think he put the price up to around 4k and hired another guy. He was worked off his feet and I think the waiting list got to nearly a year!
    http://www.alsaautomotive.co.uk/inde...d=50&Itemid=83

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Many thanks for the interest and comments guys, keep em coming.
    The car is kept in an insulated wooden garage which has a dehumidifier. This very rarely turns on as the humidity keeps almost constantly around 45-55%.
    I fully agree with you Francis that once the paint is off there are bound to be some horrors on a 34yr old car built in Italy.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

achaddy is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    Andy Chadwick

This guy used to be a Forum sponsor in the early days and was doing a lot of jobs for people on here at the 2.5K discounted price. It was supposed to be a members offer but it looked more like he was rapidly trying to build his business in repainting exotic cars.

If i remember correctly many CS members who used him had quality "issues" and he eventually dissappeared from the forum.

Name
    Philip

Wow he certainly looks to have done well for himself!
    I am surprised at the quotes on this thread. They seem quite reasonable
    I would also question however if a main dealer is offering for 6k
    I have looked at the shops that main dealers use sometimes and these outfits are very mass market and just interested in getting the big contracts. When you visit them they don't necessarily know much on specific models or manufacturers
    I'd definitely dig more into who is doing the actual work if you want a good job

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Quote Originally Posted by 355fiorano View Post
    Wow he certainly looks to have done well for himself!
    I am surprised at the quotes on this thread. They seem quite reasonable
    I would also question however if a main dealer is offering for 6k
    I have looked at the shops that main dealers use sometimes and these outfits are very mass market and just interested in getting the big contracts. When you visit them they don't necessarily know much on specific models or manufacturers
    I'd definitely dig more into who is doing the actual work if you want a good job
    Exactly.
    Not looking for a 4-5k kind of place, and no way would I bother with a main dealer.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast