Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: My Argento 360

Mike01606 is offline Kid's bed - The Ferrari F50 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by MWStewart View Post
    Here's a link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/jiffy-foa...vWog:rk:2:pf:0

It tends to be called 'Jiffy Foam' in retail circles but really it is Expandable Polyethylene (EPE) sheet.
    Cheers Mark/Andy.....

I have some PE backed flooring underlay that is identical to the OEM membrane that I was going to use but it wouldíve been a shame to destroy a good original one for no gain.
    It looks like the bar should pull through once the brake disc is out of the way without disturbing it....

I really donít understand how Ferrari can increase the barrier five fold whilst some of the shock platforms were a couple of quid each...
    I think they must have a game of spin the bottle to set the pricing.

Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Very useful to know....cheers Aldous.

I need to remove it to have a proper look but what was described as corrosion looks like either braze/solder or where thereís been some residual flux....

Changing the nut seem like a good idea if the pipe is sound.
    I split this union when I took the box out.
    Iíve been in touch with Adam this morning and he says the ferrule corrodes and eventually splits due to galvanic corrosion. He has one in his shop at the moment thatís failed and the hose is NLA.

He says mine is at an early stage but keep an eye on it.

Iíve sent some pics to Pirtek to see if they can repair but it would need a new ferrule otherwise there is no point in replacing the hose. Disturbing it could make it worse....
    I wish I had some pics of it removed so I could see if the fitting is a standard item.

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

I had a split nut on an oil hose . Ham fisted mechanic I would guess.

Pirtek pulled the fitting, modified a new nut as it needed to go around a 90 bend so needed a slightly larger dia on the internal bit and re-crimped the hose. Fortunately it wasn't a high pressure hose, else I would have needed a new end as a re-crimp wouldn't have worked and that would have required a bit more work and possible slight re-routing of hose as some of the end fittings are certainly not standard off the shelf. (I'd guess Ferrari had an abundance of apprentices in the hydraulics section that year with nothing better to do than make unique parts!).

Worth pursuing as it will be a fraction of a new hose in a "yellow box with little horses on it"

Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    I had a split nut on an oil hose . Ham fisted mechanic I would guess.
    If you read Voicey's post a few above it looks like split nuts are quite common...Ö

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Saw that; be interested in what he comes up with. Would certainly be helpful if it could be fixed in situ! I recall Pirtek guy saying be careful not to over torque the nut; guess they come across similar as well.

That said, where is the emoji for crossing ones legs and wincing

Name
    Mike M

Default My Argento 360

Some progress today on the front suspension....

No pics of it coming apart but itís pretty (very) straightforward apart from one of the drop links wonít come out of the ARB

Full job list is....

Shocks- Replace lower shock bush, shock rubbers and springs.
    Notice how rusty the rear lower of the spring is where water collects. You can see why they eventually fail.

Name:  IMG_0802.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  93.4 KB

Wishbones - new upper and lower ball joints/seals.
    There a tiny amount of play in both, maybe 0.5mm. The lower one is the worst...theyíve been in for 6 years/20k miles and were HE ones.
    Iím minded to leave the flamblocs well alone and just strip and grease them.
    Thereís zero play in them and as well as being a pig to change, theyíre £400 a corner.
    I may get the upright and wishbones vapour blasted if I can find a reasonable guy locally.

New hardware for the wishbones and lower shock pin. The pin itself is perfect so even at £10 Iíll re-use it.

New drop links once I get this one off!

Name:  IMG_0803.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  64.5 KB

A piece of card is great for helping everything in order...especially the shim locations.

Name:  IMG_0804.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  77.0 KB

Just for interest....All of the suspension hard points are helicoiled which makes sense when you think of it....
    Iím going to replace the studs on the upper wishbone as they came out with the nylocs.
    The track rod end are perfect as I fitted HE ones a while back.

Name:  IMG_0801.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  43.6 KB

Finally a question..... I canít release the ARB bushes. They se m in good nick but I was going to change them anyway as Iím hoping to remove the ARB. I could try to chew the rubber out but is there a tip for getting them out?
    Last edited by Mike01606; 06-01-2019 at 11:51 PM.

milkshaker0007 is offline Only 37 known common faults - The Ferrari 355 Club Member
    Name
    paul

Nice work Mike
    Can't answer your question about how easy it is to get a rubber off I'll leave that to a 360 owner.
    I like to follow these maintenance threads, keep up the excellent work bud and a Happy New Year.

Name
    Aldous Voice

Quote Originally Posted by Mike01606 View Post
    Finally a question..... I canít release the ARB bushes. They se m in good nick but I was going to change them anyway as Iím hoping to remove the ARB. I could try to chew the rubber out but is there a tip for getting them out?
    Lube up the bar (I use GT85) and pull the holder for the bush whilst twisting. You'll be able to get the metal holder off with or without the bush. Once one side is done the other can come out with the bar (I would normally fit the new bush before doing the other side).

Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by milkshaker0007 View Post
    Nice work Mike
    Can't answer your question about how easy it is to get a rubber off I'll leave that to a 360 owner.
    I like to follow these maintenance threads, keep up the excellent work bud and a Happy New Year.
    Cheers Paul

Quote Originally Posted by voicey View Post
    Lube up the bar (I use GT85) and pull the holder for the bush whilst twisting. You'll be able to get the metal holder off with or without the bush. Once one side is done the other can come out with the bar (I would normally fit the new bush before doing the other side).
    Cheers Aldous....

I did try that pull obviously didnít pull hard enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name
    Mike M

Some good progress tonight with some learning (perhaps should have checked the WSM) and some questions/opinions needed.

Stripped the shock.

What a PITA and I should have thought a bit before I pulled it off yesterday.
    I thought Iíd be able to remove the spring with the shock on the bench but was concerned about spinning the damper seals. Maybe an issue, probably not.
    So I put the shock and the lower wishbone back on! This held both ends steady and as I couldnít get my spring compressor on these springs it was still bloody hard work.

Name:  IMG_0811.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  40.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0812.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  35.1 KB

The bottom shock rubber is perished/knackered and the top seems OK but is very compressed. Iíve ordered 4 of each so I can change them all.
    The springs will be changed for some nearly new ones I bought a few years back. They have a white stripe whereas mine are yellow coded so Iíll need to set them slightly different. I have the settings filed away somewhere safe (read lost)
    I took a measurement for reference before I wound the spring loose.

Name:  IMG_0805.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0813.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  100.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0814.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  100.4 KB

The lower shock bush looks a right ball ache to remove. Iíll have a think about it but probably carefully cut them out as that ally below the bush is pretty thin.
    I did have a go at pressing it and itís tight.

Name:  IMG_0815.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  62.3 KB

The other job I did tonight was strip and clean up the lower wishbone.
    I was roughly quoted £60 a corner for vapour blasting the wishbones and upright. This was 20 minutes with some acid based aluminium cleaner and a bronze wire brush in the kitchen sink. Pretty good if I say so myself and whilst vapour blasting would be good for morale, itís absolutely pointless.

Name:  IMG_0817.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  90.3 KB

Iíve pulled the flamblocs apart as two of the four were seized. Theyíve cleaned up fine and have no play so Iím not intending to change them this time just fit new circlips.
    The metal Ďdog-boneĎ part is actually quite soft so be careful if you have to drift any out. I use my trusty bronze persuader .
    Am I a cheapskate and on the subject of that....ball joints. They have a barely perceptible vertical play. Iím going to change them anyway but what is Ďworní and at what point do you hear them knocking?
    The reason I ask is the track rod end has about the same play and has only been on a few k miles without the hammer the suspension joints get.
    If theyíre ok I could the new ones on the rear as I know they are originals.

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast