Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice required: 2006 Manual vs 2008 low mileage F430

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by thecook View Post
    Each to their own but I love the F1 in my 2005. To me it is hugely engaging in that you have to think about getting it just right. And when pushing on the kick in the back is magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last sentence nails it for me but there are many versions of F1 and the difference between a properly set up
    System and one that is needing adjustments / new parts can be staggering.

Interesting take on the 360 and could be real world correct for many drivers. Purer lines in the design too (even as a 430 owner) but would have to change the headlights for me as I find the std ones really dated.

Interesting blend of tastes in this thread.

Name
    Patrick

I've been really impressed with the F1 box and at full "chat" its brilliant!, I've found it really quick in race mode and when driving more normally its perfectly useable. It maybe that mine is an 2008 so latest software and equipment but the F1 box gets such a hard time and its completely unnecessary in my experience, maybe an early 360 system was a bit questionable but its something I've not experienced.

It has some quicks but it adds to the theatre of the car for me, I also know I can't change gear as quickly as the F1 nor downshift 2 cogs as quickly on the bends. I do feel comparing a 458 to a 430 is pointless its twice the price in real world so should be twice as good!

GLWTS and go with the car your going to enjoy the most as thats the greatest value add there is

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by cgt View Post

A 360 will deliver similar thrills, less to go wrong (e-diff particularly)
    I will swap the 3 year belt change on the 360, for an e diff and chain driven cams on the 430 all day long

Also I think the model markets are overlapping with manual low miles 360 about the same cost as a high miler F1 430, and at the other end a low mile manual 430 about the same cost as a high miler 458. Throw in the price premium on spiders and this does give people a bit more choice in their particular budget range
    Last edited by sssdu01; 22-11-2017 at 11:18 PM.

phillg is offline Looks like a 308 to me? -The Ferrari 288 GTO Club Member
    Name
    Phill Grimshaw

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    I will swap the 3 year belt change on the 360, for an e diff and chain driven cams on the 430 all day long

Also I think the model markets are overlapping with manual low miles 360 about the same cost as a high miler F1 430, and at the other end a low mile manual 430 about the same cost as a high miler 458. Throw in the price premium on spiders and this does give people a bit more choice in their particular budget range
    Beware that Ferrari have added a chain inspection to the service schedule at 43250 miles.
    Major cost , and is around 3k to 4k at a main dealer. Nobody seems to know why it's been added.
    Spider,or coupe? Just get one of each.

Name
    cgt

My experience of running both was that the 360 was cheaper due to less complication.

I'm not 100% convinced by electronic reliability on the 430 and most are now over 10 years old.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by phillg View Post
    Beware that Ferrari have added a chain inspection to the service schedule at 43250 miles.
    Major cost , and is around 3k to 4k at a main dealer. Nobody seems to know why it's been added.
    The 430 has been the most electronically reliable tipo for my experience with ZERO issues and it's the Ferrari I have owned the longest.

The chain inspection is almost certainly due to low mileages across the fleet. Some items have been added some removed for example evap system canisters which are replaceable for Maserati at 43250 have been lifetime removed from the Ferrari schedule. It's well known that the high miler cars are tracked by the factory for issues but so too are the low milers. Currently 599 GTO oil pumps are dropping like flys - cause? Lack of use.

Name
    Simon Dutton

Quote Originally Posted by phillg View Post
    Maybe its because Ferrari dealers have realised that they might have less work as the fleet moves to chain driven cams . What will they dream up next ??? a whole list of advisable items as we have taken your engine out sir ???

Name
    Mark

I thought the chain stretch check was always part of the service plan? It was in the handbook on my 2006 car.

TBH I see changing the rod bolts as more important at 40k, and actually I probably will do have them done in addition to a chain check. I'll get a price for APR and compare to the uprated challenge versions.

There have been more bottom end failures than anything to do with the timing chain and associated parts. Now I know more about the engine and rod ratio thanks to the person who is going to port my heads, I understand why.

Name
    Simon Dutton

Mark, not seen any rod bolt issues , tell me more just on the off chance that I might go over 4,000 revs once a year

If they are an issue the APR bolts are probably the best bet. Also can this be done on a ramp with the sump off ? i.e can you get a bolt stretch gauge on to check the lengths without some thing else getting in the way ???

Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by sssdu01 View Post
    Mark, not seen any rod bolt issues , tell me more just on the off chance that I might go over 4,000 revs once a year

If they are an issue the APR bolts are probably the best bet. Also can this be done on a ramp with the sump off ? i.e can you get a bolt stretch gauge on to check the lengths without some thing else getting in the way ???
    I've now seen four engine failures. The incidents aren't known because of fear of the cars' value being affected. The (very) knowledge engine builder I deal with has direct experience: the big ends become oval and "It only takes a few 100's of a millimeter before it fails.".

I'm going to check mine at the 40k interval.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast