Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 308 respray

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

I have just noticed that there are some typos in my posts above (Spellchecker, grrr) but unable to see how to edit them?
    Could someone advise how please, cheers.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Mike01606 is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Mike M

Quote Originally Posted by sweeni View Post
    Classic Car Lab have asked me to go have a look at the car tomorrow to discuss how far I would like to go........
    Gulp!!

Looks a pretty shocking story and I hope you get it sorted.....was the car stock or SOR through them?

A348W is offline I have a dodgy moustache - the Ferrari 308 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

It's disappointing the number of cowboys and scammers around, including what on the face of it are long established and reputable companies.

I got done on my PPI, not to the same extant, but numbers that I certainly am not going to be telling the missus anytime soon, if ever 😬. In a similar vane whilst I'd love to stick it to them, sometimes it's just easier and ultimately cheaper to take it on the chin and move on. Frustratingly I also got done on a survey for my boat!!! But that doesn't stop me now thoroughly enjoying her.

Name
    Nick

Classic Car Lab have asked me to go have a look at the car tomorrow to discuss how far I would like to go........
    Gulp!!
    You can tell from your pics that there is going to be some nasties in there. Seems like a fair bit of filler and or glass fibre has been used to cover up some areas. The sills especially are often found to have had this treatment and it looks that way for you in places. Hope the news isn't to bad.

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Very best of luck with it, David.

Name
    Paul

If I were to put on here the full story of my issues with Furlongers, as I have also had to spend a fortune on the engine as well as the body issues, I would get typewriters cramp and would possibly be removed by the Mods on the basis of getting involved with legal issues. Lets just say I wouldn't let them service my Lawn Mower or paint an Airfix car.
    Anyone who would like me to give them a more in-depth explanation send me a PM.

Thanks for the last comment, I will be putting updates on here as they happen.
    I really feel your pain, i do. Been there and got the whole wardrobe of T-shirts to prove it.

I really hope you get the job you deserve, please keep us posted

Name
    cgt

This is what happens when dealers have a nearly 100% SOR business model (though I don't know if that was the case here).

If they put their own money into stock I'm sure they would do a lot of due diligence in buying and preparation.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Quote Originally Posted by cgt View Post
    This is what happens when dealers have a nearly 100% SOR business model (though I don't know if that was the case here).

If they put their own money into stock I'm sure they would do a lot of due diligence in buying and preparation.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    I think Furlongers were indeed selling SOR (confess Im not certain), but they had serviced it for years so will, or at least should, have been very well aware of any issues. The bodywork issues they were aware of and told me about and it is entirely their fault that the work was shoddily carried out, clearly done just enough to make it look good on the forecourt to sell with no consideration to longevity.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Name
    cgt

I think Furlongers were indeed selling SOR (confess Im not certain), but they had serviced it for years so will, or at least should, have been very well aware of any issues. The bodywork issues they were aware of and told me about and it is entirely their fault that the work was shoddily carried out, clearly done just enough to make it look good on the forecourt to sell with no consideration to longevity.
    I remember when I was buying a 308 the huge amount of variation in 'restored' cars. One I saw had apparently had a lot of work done the year before but getting under the car and putting a torch into the wheelarches etc revealed it was all superficial. The car I eventually bought had been restored some 10 years prior but other than a small surface bubble it was solid underneath and clearly had been stripped back and done properly.

One advantage of booming price bubbles is that generally there are some well restored cars around when things settle down again (the 308 I bought had far more money spent on the restoration alone than I eventually bought the car for). If we think back 15 years there were tons of rustbuckets around and a rust-free 308 or Dino was the exception to most.

It will be a painful wait but I'm sure you'll have a real beauty at the end of it. I waited two years for a watch once but it was worth the wait..

AndrewE is offline Hey look at that Peugot 406! Oh no it's a Ferrari 360 Club Member
    Name
    Andrew

Gulp!!
    What the latest on your choice of paint shop?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast