Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt, Satin or Gloss?

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Default Matt, Satin or Gloss?

As you may see on another thread my 308 GTS is having a bare metal respray and I have been asked what finish the black screen surround should be - Matt, Satin or Gloss.
    We think Satin but would like to be sure if anyone could advise please?

( I refer to the main windscreen frame not the narrow trim around the glass and along the edge of the targa top)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward Ė just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Matt to satin is something of a sliding scale. Black painted bits on cars of that era tend to be satin I believe, certainly aren’t totally matt on a 348. If I want to dull them off a bit I use a matt wax.

Edit: I’d say definitely not gloss, at least if you want it looking original.

Name
    cgt

Mine was a bit glossy, though I'm sure not original
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name
    Paul

I donít know what is the correct shade, however I have a similar black part on my 348 and decided on gloss for a few reasons.

• If you polish matt or satin black is will look more like gloss so unless you avoid that area it will be hard to keep it satin / matt looking.
    • They can shoot a base of black and clear over the whole area in one go, there is no transition from one paint to the next.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by PAUL V View Post
    I donít know what is the correct shade, however I have a similar black part on my 348 and decided on gloss for a few reasons.

• If you polish matt or satin black is will look more like gloss so unless you avoid that area it will be hard to keep it satin / matt looking.
    • They can shoot a base of black and clear over the whole area in one go, there is no transition from one paint to the next.
    Hi Paul. Not contradicting at all and your 348 looks great gloss or satin, but have you tried this stuff?

https://www.swissvax.co.uk/merchant....Code=SE1015117

I use it on all my black bits - sills, air intakes, engine cover - and it dulls down the shine pretty well. I get what you mean about satin slowly getting shinier over time but this stuff combats that to an extent. Bit of a faff using different waxes for different areas Iíll conceed but it does do the job

Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Hi Paul. Not contradicting at all and your 348 looks great gloss or satin, but have you tried this stuff?

https://www.swissvax.co.uk/merchant....Code=SE1015117

I use it on all my black bits - sills, air intakes, engine cover - and it dulls down the shine pretty well. I get what you mean about satin slowly getting shinier over time but this stuff combats that to an extent. Bit of a faff using different waxes for different areas Iíll conceed but it does do the job
    No as mine is now gloss back IE "clear over base" no going back and not £60 wax needed

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by PAUL V View Post
    No as mine is now gloss back IE "clear over base" no going back and not £60 wax needed
    Rest of my car is scuderia wax, mate. If you donít want £60 wax you wouldnít want that either! Bigger tub, mind you

I think itís a case of each to their own. But back in period they were a fairly matt satin (talking 348 but think the 308 was the same). Iím not as Ďpickyí as Nick, roughly the same is good enough for me. There again my car isnít quite up to concours standard and his is.

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Whereís Jonathan Tremlet when you need him 🤔
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward Ė just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Name
    Pete

Sorry to throw this in but I personally think the car looks more balanced with a red windscreen suround as you see on many QVs (were they like that originally?) and other cars after ie 328 GTS, 348 TS/GTS, 355 GTS etc.

Name
    Nick

Looking at some brochures I have for the 308 the screen surround looks matt or satin to me.

Plus....

Name:  1_5_k_full.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  36.1 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast