Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matt, Satin or Gloss?

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Well thanks to Mandy and the staff at Maranello I now have the answer to my questions.
    All the black bits, ie sills, windscreen frame, body line over the roof at the back of the cabin and mid way recess are all Satin Black. (The sills are stone chip satin paint). Also for clarification, the black mid way recess line should be painted not tape.
    Big thank you to Mandy for her help in sorting.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward – just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

mbwoy84 is offline Del Boy's Reliant Robin Club Member
    Name
    Mike

The original would have been a satin, but as a restorer I would recommend going for a matt lacquer over a black base. I’ve been restoring black trim on a lot of cars recently, the most recent being a 3rd Gen Chevrolet Camaro and whilst it’s a totally different car it was against red paintwork and same sort of era. It is lacquered, so is extra durable, but “dulls off” unlike gloss lacquer and with a black base it looks more satin than a genuine matt. Bearing in mind that a standard matt finish is officially “30% Gloss”, satin is 50% gloss and “gloss” is 77% gloss!

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Quote Originally Posted by mbwoy84 View Post
    The original would have been a satin, but as a restorer I would recommend going for a matt lacquer over a black base. I’ve been restoring black trim on a lot of cars recently, the most recent being a 3rd Gen Chevrolet Camaro and whilst it’s a totally different car it was against red paintwork and same sort of era. It is lacquered, so is extra durable, but “dulls off” unlike gloss lacquer and with a black base it looks more satin than a genuine matt. Bearing in mind that a standard matt finish is officially “30% Gloss”, satin is 50% gloss and “gloss” is 77% gloss!
    Interesting info. I will discuss this with the company doing the work and ask there thoughts.
    Thanks for the advice.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward – just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

Quote Originally Posted by sweeni View Post
    Well thanks to Mandy and the staff at Maranello I now have the answer to my questions.
    All the black bits, ie sills, windscreen frame, body line over the roof at the back of the cabin and mid way recess are all Satin Black. (The sills are stone chip satin paint). Also for clarification, the black mid way recess line should be painted not tape.
    Big thank you to Mandy for her help in sorting.
    Not often I'm right but was reasonably sure I was on this one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12