Thread: California Exhaust options, Talk to me,!!!

Name
    Mike

Default California Exhaust options, Talk to me,!!!

Looking at a possible exhaust upgrade on my Cali.

When i had my 360 i had tubi back box and decat pipes and the sound was just epic.

I feel the Cali is missing its real high end pitch that we all know Ferrari for,!

What have you done and what difference has it made. I was looking as decat pipes and keep the rear boxes but open to options,

Also what do you think about the Ferrari warranty,?

Kind Regards
    MIke

Name
    Simon

Shall watch this thread with interest...

you can open (or is it close?) the valves permanently - have you done this?

I am in the same boat... Nearly bought a Tubi back box a while ago - but then wondered whether it would be a bit too noisy for day-to-day...

Cant decide if I like the characteristics of the standard exhaust (have the valves on permanent noisy), or if I really want the extra sounds!

Name
    CPD

Sensors are pre and post cat on the California so if you decat you will get a CEL.

Sure fire way to eliminate this is to get a remap - the ‘may work’ way is to get mini-cat sensor extenders.

The ferrari scream comes from the classic multi-cylinder engines turning at extreme revolutions per minute (rpm) and most people of a certain age relate that to the classic V12, V10 and V8 F1 engines that revved to very high RPM’s - Honda’s V10 at 20,000 rpm and Cosworths at 18,500 etc.

On their V8 road cars ferrari and after market makers have simulated this by merging the exhaust branches from each branch with an X-pipe to simulate that sound - hence a V8 at 8,000rpm sounds like 16,000rpm

An x-pipe and valve controller would be my preferred route as it will be relatively low cost, won’t trigger any CEL issues nor fail an emissions test. Getting an x-pipe custom made will prevent Ferrari tax - should cost a couple of hundred in T304 stainless. Add the Forza Componenti valve controller which is well made and reliable and you have the best of both worlds. Nice ‘screamer’ tone whether valves are open or closed and the option to select three ways.
    Always closed, always open or factory default.
    Last edited by Modificato; 16-03-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Siy View Post
    Shall watch this thread with interest...

you can open (or is it close?) the valves permanently - have you done this?

I am in the same boat... Nearly bought a Tubi back box a while ago - but then wondered whether it would be a bit too noisy for day-to-day...

Cant decide if I like the characteristics of the standard exhaust (have the valves on permanent noisy), or if I really want the extra sounds!
    Yes i have opened the valves permanently, Removed the pipes and bunged them with a golf tee,

Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Sensors are pre and post cat on the California so if you decat you will get a CEL.

Sure fire way to eliminate this is to get a remap - the ‘may work’ way is to get mini-cat sensor extenders.

The ferrari scream comes from the classic multi-cylinder engines turning at extreme revolutions per minute (rpm) and most people of a certain age relate that to the classic V12, V10 and V8 F1 engines that revved to very high RPM’s - Honda’s V10 at 20,000 rpm and Cosworths at 18,500 etc.

On their V8 road cars ferrari and after market makers have simulated this by merging the exhaust branches from each branch with an X-pipe to simulate that sound - hence a V8 at 8,000rpm sounds like 16,000rpm

An x-pipe and valve controller would be my preferred route as it will be relatively low cost, won’t trigger any CEL issues nor fail an emissions test. Getting an x-pipe custom made will prevent Ferrari tax - should cost a couple of hundred in T304 stainless. Add the Forza Componenti valve controller which is well made and reliable and you have the best of both worlds. Nice ‘screamer’ tone whether valves are open or closed and the option to select three ways.
    Always closed, always open or factory default.

That sounds like the way to go.!

Name
    Simon

this could be interesting - then if too noisy, can reconnect the valves so its quieter at lower revs/speeds?
    Is this better than fitting something like a Tubi back box?

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Siy View Post
    this could be interesting - then if too noisy, can reconnect the valves so its quieter at lower revs/speeds?
    Is this better than fitting something like a Tubi back box?
    Depends what you want, tubi back boxes will change the tone and you may or may not like it.

I went through loads of combinations on my 599 and ended up with the above solution...and stock back boxes. Sounds awesome.

Name
    Mark

Had a Capristo on mine when I bought it, but immediately put the standard exhaust back on. The Capristo at low revs (under 2500) sent a defening deep vibration through the cabin, particularly with the roof,up. Hated it and would have gone deaf. My standard exhaust is fitted with a device that enables me to open it up when I want to. Plenty loud enough for me

Name
    A J

Quote Originally Posted by penman12012 View Post
    Had a Capristo on mine when I bought it, but immediately put the standard exhaust back on. The Capristo at low revs (under 2500) sent a defening deep vibration through the cabin, particularly with the roof,up. Hated it and would have gone deaf. My standard exhaust is fitted with a device that enables me to open it up when I want to. Plenty loud enough for me
    Do you still have the capristo?