Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: The crazy world of Ferrari spares pricing

  1. #11
    Nosevi's Avatar
    Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Name
    Nos
    Posts
    10,566

    Default

    Ok here's an example and I guess a question. Possibility I may need an idle control valve, I've not yet looked into it but there's a possibility. But I have options!



    Option A - The genuine Bosch part (I think), new, at £69.75 with free postage:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Idle-Cont...-/142688846025


    Option B - An aftermarket 'copy' with a guarantee (and I think made relatively locally), new, at £28.95 with free postage:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/22201790289...7748120&crdt=0


    Option C - A Bosch part but taken out of an old Ferrari 348 (so clearly magical in some way), used and looks like it's as old as mine, priced at.............

    ..........£145.07 plus £14.54 postage, no guarantee I can see and if it doesn't work I need to pay to post it back:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/28247994111...9031424&crdt=0


    So the question is, why do I need to pay either more than double for a second hand one with no guarantee from a Ferrari rather than buying the part new or more like 5 times as much for that second hand Ferrari one than for a new aftermarket one again with a guarantee. I'm sure there are good reasons for doing this but what are they?

  2. #12
    F355GTS's Avatar
    F355GTS is offline Shocking waste of good kevlar - The Ferrari Enzo Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    North Hants
    Name
    Mark Collins
    Posts
    6,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Ok here's an example and I guess a question. Possibility I may need an idle control valve, I've not yet looked into it but there's a possibility. But I have options!



    Option A - The genuine Bosch part (I think), new, at £69.75 with free postage:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Idle-Cont...-/142688846025


    Option B - An aftermarket 'copy' with a guarantee (and I think made relatively locally), new, at £28.95 with free postage:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/22201790289...7748120&crdt=0


    Option C - A Bosch part but taken out of an old Ferrari 348 (so clearly magical in some way), used and looks like it's as old as mine, priced at.............

    ..........£145.07 plus £14.54 postage, no guarantee I can see and if it doesn't work I need to pay to post it back:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/28247994111...9031424&crdt=0


    So the question is, why do I need to pay either more than double for a second hand one with no guarantee from a Ferrari rather than buying the part new or more like 5 times as much for that second hand Ferrari one than for a new aftermarket one again with a guarantee. I'm sure there are good reasons for doing this but what are they?
    Pete, Option A for me!. I just had the FF serviced and it needed new wipers apparently - £148

  3. #13
    Nosevi's Avatar
    Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Name
    Nos
    Posts
    10,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F355GTS View Post
    Pete, Option A for me!. I just had the FF serviced and it needed new wipers apparently - £148
    Yep, if it comes to it I was ering towards the genuine part but not having been originally delivered in a yellow box. Why you would pay double for a second hand one just because it was is beyond me. Sometimes the connections are different or something similar but I donít think so in this case. Itís marked on ebay as being correct for a Mondial so canít see Ferrari not using identical in the 348.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Name
    Nick
    Posts
    995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Ok here's an example and I guess a question. Possibility I may need an idle control valve, I've not yet looked into it but there's a possibility. But I have options!



    Option A - The genuine Bosch part (I think), new, at £69.75 with free postage:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Idle-Cont...-/142688846025


    Option B - An aftermarket 'copy' with a guarantee (and I think made relatively locally), new, at £28.95 with free postage:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/22201790289...7748120&crdt=0


    Option C - A Bosch part but taken out of an old Ferrari 348 (so clearly magical in some way), used and looks like it's as old as mine, priced at.............

    ..........£145.07 plus £14.54 postage, no guarantee I can see and if it doesn't work I need to pay to post it back:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/28247994111...9031424&crdt=0


    So the question is, why do I need to pay either more than double for a second hand one with no guarantee from a Ferrari rather than buying the part new or more like 5 times as much for that second hand Ferrari one than for a new aftermarket one again with a guarantee. I'm sure there are good reasons for doing this but what are they?
    I will say these idle control valves don't go wrong very often. Also there are two fitted to your car Pete.

    Option A is the best but you will be lucky to find originals at that price again. Looks like he has sold out. Let me know if you do and I will have two.

    Option B are most probably made in China. (so Ive heard). Would probably work ok though. Same part has a huge price variation dependant on seller.

    Option C is for suckers.

  5. #15
    Nosevi's Avatar
    Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Name
    Nos
    Posts
    10,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
    I will say these idle control valves don't go wrong very often. Also there are two fitted to your car Pete.

    Option A is the best but you will be lucky to find originals at that price again. Looks like he has sold out. Let me know if you do and I will have two.

    Option B are most probably made in China. (so Ive heard). Would probably work ok though. Same part has a huge price variation dependant on seller.

    Option C is for suckers.
    Hadn’t noticed he’d sold out but of course Option D would be an actual Bosch one second hand off any car other than a Ferrari for a fraction of the £145 asked by that seller. If you look at a list of cars the part was used on it’s endless.

    I dont think there’s anything broken either. Just cleaned the MAFs and contacts to MAFs, ICVs and throttle position sensors for good measure. ECU relearn and drive to come. I’m (foolishly) optimistic!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Name
    Nick
    Posts
    995

    Default

    Yes. Its a very common part used on many. Original Bosch won't be the cheapest on whatever though. As I said they don't go wrong that often. This dipping of RPM is/was quite common on many marques and quite often fixed by cleaning the throttle body and possibly adjusting mixture. On the 348 you need to monitor the vacuum in the both sides of the plenum with a manometer to adjust the idle. There is a set procedure in the WSM. Otherwise its guesswork.

  7. #17
    Nosevi's Avatar
    Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Name
    Nos
    Posts
    10,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
    Yes. Its a very common part used on many. Original Bosch won't be the cheapest on whatever though. As I said they don't go wrong that often. This dipping of RPM is/was quite common on many marques and quite often fixed by cleaning the throttle body and possibly adjusting mixture. On the 348 you need to monitor the vacuum in the both sides of the plenum with a manometer to adjust the idle. There is a set procedure in the WSM. Otherwise its guesswork.
    My optimism was well placed, did what I said above and all sorted. Cheers mate

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    north west
    Name
    CPD
    Posts
    2,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    My optimism was well placed, did what I said above and all sorted. Cheers mate
    Donít forget unless you force a diagnostic cycle after an ECU reset it could be some 100 miles and a number of use cycles before it throws an error. The design life of most Bosch parts is 160,000km but that assumes
    Virtually daily use. Lack of use seems to drive issues with modern components selected from volume manufacturers catalogues. I have the force diagnostic procedure for my 430 somewhere but not sure what it is for other tipo.

  9. #19
    Nosevi's Avatar
    Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Name
    Nos
    Posts
    10,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Donít forget unless you force a diagnostic cycle after an ECU reset it could be some 100 miles and a number of use cycles before it throws an error. The design life of most Bosch parts is 160,000km but that assumes
    Virtually daily use. Lack of use seems to drive issues with modern components selected from volume manufacturers catalogues. I have the force diagnostic procedure for my 430 somewhere but not sure what it is for other tipo.
    I think it's fine, mod. I think it's more to do with the fact that, due to weather and issues the car was away for her engine out for 7 weeks and I think the engine was out of the car and so all those electrical connections were open for quite some time. I'm also not convinced a full ECU reset was done afterwards. Might have been but the car instantly ran better after I did it myself. I think one or other of those was the issue and very much doubt it's anything more sinister

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    north west
    Name
    CPD
    Posts
    2,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    I think it's fine, mod. I think it's more to do with the fact that, due to weather and issues the car was away for her engine out for 7 weeks and I think the engine was out of the car and so all those electrical connections were open for quite some time. I'm also not convinced a full ECU reset was done afterwards. Might have been but the car instantly ran better after I did it myself. I think one or other of those was the issue and very much doubt it's anything more sinister
    Good - letís hope itís sorted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18-08-2016, 03:23 PM
  2. Ferrari pricing?
    By RevHappy in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-07-2012, 05:19 PM
  3. Ferrari Parts Pricing
    By candellara in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 19-10-2010, 06:47 PM
  4. Those crazy ferrari drivers...
    By RacingSnake in forum Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 04:43 PM
  5. current ferrari pricing
    By tonyh in forum Ferrari Talk
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 27-09-2007, 12:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •