Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Testarossa

Jampye is offline Pink pimped up Vauxhall Corsa Club Member
    Name
    Jason Pye

Default Testarossa

So, Hi everyone,
    Great forum, I致e been reading lots of great information on here...
    I知 about to buy my first Ferrari (about time) an 86 Testarossa... so any buying tips, things to look for etc would be great.
    Also if anyone is in the East Anglia area and would recommend a decent place for servicing that would be cool.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Ps I知 new to forums in general so please bear with me....

jos is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    jos

Default Welcome & enjoy

OK so we must assume you are having an independant ppi done to tell you everything that is wrong with the car and that you have done enough reading to understand what you are doing

Not many current owners here but you could take a look at some of the older posts by Barabus and yellowtr

If you still need more there's a vast well of knowledge here https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/fo...oxers-tr-m.90/

Do not assume you'll be able to get local servicing - your car is thirty years old and there's not enough of them to justify that much current experience

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...rossa-purchase

http://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/...GTB-GTS-Spyder
    Last edited by jos; 02-06-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Name
    GQ

Not sure if you've already researched it, but check to see if the diff has had the upgrade to the 512. The TR diffs are ticking time bombs!

Also, not sure on what mileage your thinking but 1st gear is sometimes an issue which needs a gearbox rebuild for.

Name
    Jason Pye

Thanks for the response Jos, I知 buying through Shiltech, they have been servicing the car Since 2010, major service, belts etc last year and a full inspection report pre-sale. They seam to have a good reputation even a few very positive comments on this forum about them so hopefully I知 in good hands...

Name
    Jason Pye

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
    Not sure if you've already researched it, but check to see if the diff has had the upgrade to the 512. The TR diffs are ticking time bombs!

Also, not sure on what mileage your thinking but 1st gear is sometimes an issue which needs a gearbox rebuild for.
    I値l check the diff with them, thanks for the tip... low mileage, 13K, 2k since last years major service...

Name
    CPD

Would still have an independent inspection...

Many owners move the cars on when some 羨mber warnings on certain components are highlighted often by a reputable Indy. They decide not to have them done (usually financial) and they get passed on to a new owner. The trouble is with 疎mber status is it痴 supposed to be
    advisory but it usually turns red early in your ownership. I have had this with every used Ferrari I have owned until I started getting inspections done by my local franchise dealer. I am lucky as mine is Classiche approved so can evaluate older cars too.

At the age of car you are looking at chassis integrity would be my number 1 issue as things like suspension arms can be like Swiss Cheese once stripped of paint. The Ferrari market is full of cars that present amazingly well for their age but don稚 be drawn in by this - get deep inside and don稚 let your heart rule your head (too much).

Good luck with the search.

Not many buyers at the moment so you can afford to be a Diva despite what people tell you.

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I would suggest test driving a few different models before you commit. Its often said "dont meet your heros" and I have found the same with cars, driving your dream car can shatter the dream. Whilst driving a Testerossa was "fun" I was so pleased to be driving my 430 home. Not sure what sort of money you are thinking of spending but you will probably have lots of different and/or "newer" models in scope. Also it might be easier to sell on a 308/328 rather than a Testerossa when you want to change etc.

On the Testerossa fuse boxes can be an issue, as they are a poor design and badly made. This can give all manner of problems - a potential electrical fire ANYWHERE in the car - and difficult to find electrical faults as you go chasing a particular circuit on the wiring diagrams then discover the fault has been caused by random fuse box shorting out on a different circuit (with a higher current rating so the fuse keeps blowing or the loom catches fire !!. As an example a friends TR had an electrical problem with the window switches that set fire to the loom ). You cant see all the circuit board in the standard fuse box so making it even more difficult to track faults. There are several companies that do upgraded fuse boxes......... there is a reason for this !!

There were also some problems with clutch slave cylinders (About 3 years ago ??) as no seals were available from the factory and some company made some replacements which also leaked. I would want to do some research on this before committing to buy as its something that will need doing at some time soon. (The seal was used on some other models, and at one stage Lovetts had a few cars in bits waiting for someone the produce a seal that worked)

I have also seen oil leaks from the rocker box covers, along with very poor repairs involving industrial quantities of silicone goo. MY friends TR leaked oil like the Exon Valdez

Finally how big is your garage ??? TR these are huge Brave choice for a first Ferrari !!

A348W is offline Only useful for school runs - The Ferrari 308GT4 Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

Welcome to the forum, and hopefully soon ownership!!

As mod says, get somebody else to do the ppi even if you have to ship the car somewhere. Getting the current company that services it to inspect is a conflict of interest no matter what there reputation.

I知 not sure who would be good for a testerrosa but my first port of call would be Tim at walkersports. I知 sure others can advise/make recommendations who know far more than me.

Whilst the cost of potential shipping and ppi may seem steep, I suggest you look up the price of a set of new wishbones and then make your decision. Been there done that, got the t shirt (should have come free with what the wishbones cost me!!)

Don稚 get the wrong impression, it痴 not doom and gloom, ownership for me has been great fun and I致e met great people, just put a little investment up front as it will mitigate the risk of heartache and a dented wallet later!

Good luck, and as they say, a post is worthless without pictures !!!

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Nos

PPI wise you won稚 need to ship - pretty much all the indies that do them travel to the car. No dealer should ever mind an independant ppi being undertaken and I壇 always have one done.

+1 on Tim from Walkersport. If I needed a ppi done he痴 the guy I壇 use.

Name
    Jason Pye

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Would still have an independent inspection...

Many owners move the cars on when some 羨mber warnings on certain components are highlighted often by a reputable Indy. They decide not to have them done (usually financial) and they get passed on to a new owner. The trouble is with 疎mber status is it痴 supposed to be
    advisory but it usually turns red early in your ownership. I have had this with every used Ferrari I have owned until I started getting inspections done by my local franchise dealer. I am lucky as mine is Classiche approved so can evaluate older cars too.

At the age of car you are looking at chassis integrity would be my number 1 issue as things like suspension arms can be like Swiss Cheese once stripped of paint. The Ferrari market is full of cars that present amazingly well for their age but don稚 be drawn in by this - get deep inside and don稚 let your heart rule your head (too much).

Good luck with the search.

Not many buyers at the moment so you can afford to be a Diva despite what people tell you.
    Good advice, they are going to lift it for me to inspect the underneath and supply me with a full inspection report, it痴 tough deciding between the different cars for sale at the moment, always fancied a single mirror early model and there痴 only 2 right hand drives for sale at the moment... one low miles and one over 50k...I知 leaning towards the low miles just because I知 planning on keeping this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast