Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic paint protection

Name
    Mark Wibberley

sweeni - on new fresh paint the coating can, after sufficient time has elapsed for paint curing, be applied without any real prep (a pre-coat is part of the ceramic system). £12-1500 is taking the mick..

Our guy is Yorkshire will come to your house and is very methodical, mature and experienced.

The problem with this market is its full of smoke and mirrors, fancy prices and techno-babble aka bull***t. As long as the product is of certifiable quality, applied by someone who knows what they are doing (pro or DIY) you will have an awesome finish that stays that way.

I would ceramic coat all my cars if they were good enough.

sweeni is offline Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    David Todd

Quote Originally Posted by MoreThanPolish View Post
    sweeni - on new fresh paint the coating can, after sufficient time has elapsed for paint curing, be applied without any real prep (a pre-coat is part of the ceramic system). £12-1500 is taking the mick..

Our guy is Yorkshire will come to your house and is very methodical, mature and experienced.

The problem with this market is its full of smoke and mirrors, fancy prices and techno-babble aka bull***t. As long as the product is of certifiable quality, applied by someone who knows what they are doing (pro or DIY) you will have an awesome finish that stays that way.
    How long approx does new paint need to cure? Thats just what I thought of his off the cuff price.
    If it can be done at home this would be excellent.
    Just what I thought, hence my thread asking lots of questions. I will be having it done as Im convinced its the right thing to do after having spent a small fortune on the respray.
    "When Lance "cries" on Oprah , spare a thought for all of those genuine people who walked away with no reward – just shattered dreams. Each one of them is worth a thousand Lances"

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

David

You won't regret going the ceramic route. I can't comment on how long new paint takes to cure, but today I washed my car. It was filthy. As you may know I had it trailered back from Le Mans after some nasty transmission noises. That is now all fixed. But the car was untouched since my trip and was covered in flies, road dirt, oily bits from being worked on and general crap from being in a workshop for 6 weeks.

An initial blast with a jetspray removed most of the crap and the beading already looked great. Then a 15 minute soak with snowfoam and another rinse left just a couple of small bits to clean with my favourite ph neutral shampoo. Then a final rinse with purified water, 10 minutes with some drying towels and bingo - car looks just like it did when the ceramic coat was first applied 18 months ago. All dead easy. Waxing would have been another couple of hours work at least.

francisn is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Admin dude
    Name
    Francis Newman

BTW - I haven't bothered with a claybar. I suspect that is not needed on a ceramic coat. Is that correct Mark?

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    Waxing would have been another couple of hours work at least.
    Must confess I don’t mind waxing my car at all, in fact I find it quite enjoyable. I’ve seen a few cars with ceramic coat applied and although they are shiny, I’ve never seen the depth of shine you get with a premium carnauba wax. Sort of guessing it doesn’t smell as good as Swisswax Scuderia either.

All in all I think ceramic coats have their place, particularly if you’re lazy Francis but I don’t think it’s better than wax. It’s easier, just not better.

Happy for a ‘shine off’ wax vs ceramic if anyone’s up for it

Name
    Francis Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    Must confess I don’t mind waxing my car at all, in fact I find it quite enjoyable. I’ve seen a few cars with ceramic coat applied and although they are shiny, I’ve never seen the depth of shine you get with a premium carnauba wax. Sort of guessing it doesn’t smell as good as Swisswax Scuderia either.

All in all I think ceramic coats have their place, particularly if you’re lazy Francis but I don’t think it’s better than wax. It’s easier, just not better.

Happy for a ‘shine off’ wax vs ceramic if anyone’s up for it
    Ha - Pete

You obviously don't drive your car enough and regularly get it dirty ;-)

F

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by francisn View Post
    Ha - Pete

You obviously don't drive your car enough and regularly get it dirty ;-)

F
    Touché my friend

MalcH is offline Post whore with no life, no friends, and a problem fitting into normal social circles Club Member
    Name
    Malc Holden

Quote Originally Posted by ric355 View Post
    I can offer you a perspective from the DIY end of the market.

I applied Carpro CQuartz v3.0 UK Edition to two cars earlier this year (about 3 months ago), and have been very impressed with the results. They are significantly easier to clean, and after a wash they gleam like they've just been waxed. That particular product has a supposed 2 year lifespan, although I don't really know how long it lasts yet. There are plenty of vids on youtube of people who've had it on for a year with continued good results.

CQuartz (and other similar ones) has a top up spray that can be applied every 3 months or so to help keep the coating in good shape. I haven't bought that yet, but it applies like a quick detail spray so is easy to do. Although it's a ceramic coating, it can be removed with a ceramic based polish so if you cock it up it's easy to fix. Cock ups should be extremely unlikely though because it is so easy to apply. You just need to remove the residue very thoroughly otherwise smudges will remain and can't be removed without polishing again if left for too long. Workable time is several minutes so there's plenty of time to remove residue for say a 2ft square section.

If you like waxing you won't like any ceramic coating, even the DIY ones. They're just too low maintenance! The CarPro stuff looks like you've just waxed it immediately after washing. So there's absolutely no point in applying wax anyway. It can be layered as well but I'm only on one coat at present.

Before applying I did a single stage polish with a rotary and a Menzerna final finish product (Can't remember the product code off the top of my head but it's the super fine finishing one I used). Total effort on each car was about 10 hours.

Based on my experience with the DIY stuff, I'm sure the professional stuff is very good. There is just one thing - I wouldn't pay 300-400 quid for a pro application. I'd rather pay the £60 or so it cost me to do the two cars and do it once every 18 months or so.

One really impressive thing about it is that after washing and rinsing I can easily blow 90% of the water off with a hand held workshop blower (mine's a Ryobi one+ device) and subsequent drying with a microfiber takes virtually no time at all.

I've always preferred wax but I was an instant convert after applying and even more so after the first wash.
    Sounds good. I've been looking at this for a while. Had the 360 paint corrected a couple of months back and I'm scared when I wash it now, even bought two buckets and grit guards . Combined with a first for me in many, many years I'm getting a brand new car in October and they've offered paint protection but I'm not sure what it actually is. Anyway I think I'm going to do this myself on both the 360 and new car.

Is this it? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CarPro-CQ...QAAOSw2idbNhsw
    Last edited by MalcH; 31-08-2018 at 08:01 AM.

Name
    Mark Wibberley

Francis - no need to clay as I doubt there's anything stuck to the paint

MalcH - reading the description, its written in poor English so I'd wonder if the product is genuine ? If its UK product I'd expect flawless grammar.

An alternative product is ours, not available on popular auction sites though, and optimised for home application. Ideal for a new car or resprayed car application. I'd give it 4-6 weeks before doing a newly painted car.

See: http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care-...ss-coating-uk/

Garvin is offline Salesman's average 3 Series BMW Club Member
    Name
    Garvin

Ceramic coating v wax : One clear advantage of the ceramic coating is that it is extremely hard which makes it highly resistant to swirls and scratching etc. The coating I had applied is not available for general sale and is only available via their franchised and trained detailers. Two reasons were given for this a) a wet edge has to be maintained during application so reasonably quick work is required otherwise the edge is noticeable; and b) if a problem occurs during application then the coating cannot be easily removed/corrected by the DIY user - it literally has to be sanded off!

This does have the downside that if a panel needs some repainting in the future then the preparation required is significantly more than usual!
    I like red & cream!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast