Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 599GTB - Modificato Project

Name
    CPD

Default 599GTB - Modificato Project

Well a very interesting start to my
    599 ownership. I collected the car after it had been serviced at 17,100 miles. The drive home was a fairly long one so I was looking forward to bonding with the car. I set off with half a tank of fuel and shortly after filling it I got my first error message.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  45.8 KB
    This came on and went off periodically so some hasty iPad research pointed towards a fuel cap that had not been tightened enough and I re-fitted it but the error message kept on popping up and then seemingly clearing itself.
    The first car park manoeuvre revealed that a parking sensor issue that I raised prior to purchase had not been successfully fixed. Could this be impacting other systems?
    Later in slow traffic I got the following message.
Views: 1026
Size:  40.6 KB
    Then this
Views: 999
Size:  41.3 KB
    Followed by
Views: 1097
Size:  39.2 KB
    And finally
Views: 1064
Size:  43.0 KB
    Thankfully the supplying dealer is okay with me taking the car to my local franchise to get it on an SD3 so we can find out what all the issues are.
    Of course if anyone has had any of the same issues your experiences will be greatly appreciated.

ronrob is offline Rear lights like a farm gate - The Ferrari 348 Club Member
    Name
    Ronald Brown

As you say, an "interesting" start to your ownership! You appear commendably calm and we look forward to hearing of the resolution of these problems. From all you posts you are well armed to handle this.

Name
    Mark

Those systems are all linked by CAN and I think one module failiure autoamtically shuts down at least some features of the other (E-Diff and ABS/EDC for sure).

Name
    CPD

I have prior experiences of V12's so went into it with my eyes open. These are by comparison to V8's very low volume cars and they are very expensive to run. The jury is out until I get it on an SD3 (April 6th) but prior experience has shown me that deferred part replacement and insufficient resolution of issues seems to be the norm even with approved cars. As you say many systems are linked and there is a permanent memory store of errors even when 'cleared' so that will no doubt reveal the story of the problems. I suspect some sensor issues as well as the parking sensor system too. Interestingly the official oil re-filling procedure from Ferrari themselves has just been revealed to be incorrect and leading to MAF issues some 10years after launch!
    Good job I like problem solving...
    Last edited by Modificato; 22-03-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

There was something on Fchat about a low charged and/or dodgy battery on a Cali causing something similar due to voltage spikes messing with the sensors. Can't remember the exact circumstances but it caused random warnings to ping up. Could be worth checking?

Name
    CPD

Quote Originally Posted by Nosevi View Post
    There was something on Fchat about a low charged and/or dodgy battery on a Cali causing something similar due to voltage spikes messing with the sensors. Can't remember the exact circumstances but it caused random warnings to ping up. Could be worth checking?
    Pretty sure the mannetino error is due to the parking sensor. US sites have it as a cause of this exact error. On inspection the inner piece of one front parking sensor is pushed back into its housing - perhaps by a stone strike. They seemingly tried to fix it at the service but it hasn't worked.

From the research I have done the engine control system error is likely down to over-filling with oil which causes contamination to the MAF sensor.

Nosevi is online now There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Pretty sure the mannetino error is due to the parking sensor. US sites have it as a cause of this exact error. On inspection the inner piece of one front parking sensor is pushed back into its housing - perhaps by a stone strike. They seemingly tried to fix it at the service but it hasn't worked.

From the research I have done the engine control system error is likely down to over-filling with oil which causes contamination to the MAF sensor.
    MAF wise is that sorted with a quick blast of MAF cleaner or is it more serious? Checked the resistance of mine a while back and they were slightly off but cleaning them with MAF cleaner seemed to get it close then it was just a case of twisting a screw to fine tune it. Wasn't oil contamination mind you, just 'dirt'.

Name
    jos

Quote Originally Posted by Modificato View Post
    Interestingly the official oil re-filling procedure from Ferrari themselves has just been revealed to be incorrect and leading to MAF issues some 10years after launch!
    I think Mark Collins did a thread about this a while back which may have additional detail

Name
    cgt

I actually paid a deposit on a 599 a couple of years ago but decided to back out at the 11th hour when I found out how many electrical gremlins that particular car (low miles, full main dealer history) had suffered from in the preceding year after talking with the servicing dealer.

It is an epic car to drive but that particular model seems to suffer more than others from electrical niggles. The car I nearly bought was a 2006, apparently 2008 and later ones are much better in this respect. I think Chris Harris had similar issues with repeated warning lights when he ran one for awhile.

Name
    CPD

Yeah they need to be driven.
    Mine is a 2008 car that has done an average on 2k miles for every year of its life.
    That's just asking for trouble IMHO and why I intend to drive it lots. With each of my prior V12's after some fettling and sundry sensor changes they ran with stone axe reliability but each had had servicing and repairs done on the cheap and / or deferred by former owners. US forums are full of 'get an OBDB reader' and clear the fault ' wisdom that is only going to bite in the long term. If there is a fault, there is a fault somewhere - just being a Ferrari it may take a while to find and fix.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast