Thread: Quick intro - prospective owner looking for first Ferrari

Mark999 is offline Burnt out Rover Metro Club Member
    Name
    Mark Nash

Default Quick intro - prospective owner looking for first Ferrari

Afternoon all. Just wanted to put up a post to introduce myself and say hello and let you know why I'm here

I just recently joined this forum as I've finally found myself in a position to be able to scratch an itch I've had for a while. Unfortunately my budget won't be stretching to one of the modern day Ferrari's. So I'm looking at dipping my toe in the water more towards the classic end of the range. This suits me well right now as no matter what happens with the value, it wouldn't be life changing, I've got such a varied taste in cars a retro / classic also really appeals and the car I'm looking at I'm confident is under rated, partly down to still being under the shadow of initial negative reviews at launch, which as a classic the reasons at the time are largely irrelevant now. So I think it offers particularly good value right now and relatively speaking, lower running costs (last of the cars before things started to get less simple?) This last part is important to me as I've little to no mechanical skills!

You probably know already what car I'm looking for, even more so if you've seen my Wanted thread but it is the 348, in particular I want the TS as I love the beautiful lines of the coupe but when the suns out the added bonus of the ability to take the roof off ('m a long term fan of convertibles) I'm 5'10 so hoping I won't have the issue with seat position when the roof is stowed that seem to be an issue with taller people. I haven't even been to see or driven one yet, just hope I don't change my mind when I do. I'm on holiday right now so hoping to get to see one or two on Bank Holiday Monday. I have found one I like, been speaking with the owner, seems just what I'm after, but I want to do the sensible thing and see others so I know what good looks / feels like.

So, as I said my taste in cars is varied. Lets just say if I had the room and funds I'd have a whole barn full of cars, ranging from old VW's and classic supercars, to modern days hypercars, luxury barges and track cars. Right now my garage consists of the below. The Lotus may make way for the 348, but I'll keep it for the short term to see how things work out. But my head is winning the battle with my heart on that one and right now, I'll move it on. My interest / hobby isn't just about having these cars, I like to use them, particularly on track. That being said, the 348 will not be going on track, it will be my weekend / social car. Trips over to europe, weekends away, that sort of thing. When I think like this it makes me think maybe the Jag should go, not the Lotus, but I need something with a bit of luxury and normality about it to use for work.

Anyway, 1st world problems and all that. So to close, if anyone has any tips, opinions, guidance etc on Ferrari ownership, pitfulls, upsides, 348's / classics in general, please do post up, any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to do everything I can to ensure this first step in a positive one.

Name:  67497931_10215677028303634_8726293447096401920_o.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  83.7 KB

Name
    jos

Default Welcome & good luck with your search

Quote Originally Posted by Mark999 View Post
    if anyone has any tips, opinions, guidance etc on Ferrari ownership, pitfulls, upsides, 348's / classics in general, please do post up,
    A lot of experience has been regularly shared so consider looking for previous similar threads - also http://my348.com/

Allandwf is offline Essex boy's Ford Capri Club Member
    Name
    Allan Fisher

Default 348

You need to drive one. It is quite uncompromising, stiff, no power steering, the classic gear change. Abs is the only nod to the future. It takes a few miles to gel but once you do it is hard to beat, basically a big go cart! You should be OK seeing lotus in your stable, I came via TVR.( A Tuscan and a Cerb.)

Mark999 is offline Burnt out Rover Metro Club Member
    Name
    Mark Nash

Yes that’s another thing that really appeals, the analogue nature of it. Also when watching various review videos a common analogy is “feels like a go kart” So something that looks as good as a 90’s Ferrari and drives like a Lotus? Sounds perfect to me! And I’m used to the compromises that come with that, enjoymthem in fact, adds to the experience and a constant reminder you’re not driving around in a run of the mill car

sssdu01 is offline No I'm Spartacus Committee Member
    Name
    Simon Dutton

I would ditch the Jag, get the Ferrari, and a eurobox for the daily. If you ditch the Jag and get the Ferrari then anything the Jag did will be covered by one of the other toys cars.

I normally use the most creative man maths to justify anything with the finance department, however if you do real sums, the cheap running costs of a eurobox will mean it will cost no more than having two toy sports cars and using the jag as a daily.

The finance department recently had a Golf 1.4 TFSI (Turbo and about 150 BHP ?) I was amazed how well it went, and even if you drove it like you had stolen it, it wasnt difficult to get near 50 MPG and it was only £30 road tax.