Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 348: is it worth holding out / paying more for a later model?

Mark999 is offline Burnt out Rover Metro Club Member
    Name
    Mark Nash

Default 348: is it worth holding out / paying more for a later model?

On my list of must haves is a 93/94 car, solely down to the fact it would have all the later revisions. However, this is limiting my search some what, so I'm interested to hear opinions on whether it really is worth holding out for one? Can these revisions be retrofitted?

Thanks in advance (there maybe a few questions coming from me but I promise to give back once I gain some knowledge )

Nosevi is offline There's an outside too? Where? Super Moderator
    Name
    Pete

Hi Mark. In answer to your question, yes, I'm sure you could retro-fit the changes/improvements that were made to the later cars over the earlier ones but it'd cost you a lot more than the premium you'd pay to buy a later car in the first place. The revised suspension and moving the battery up front on it's own would cost more and when you add things like the changed alternator (which requires changes to the loom if I remember correctly) it wouldn't be worth buying an older variant if you want the changes.

Nothing wrong with an early car, perhaps handles a little less well (hence the need for the changes and some of the early criticism) but if you buy and early car I think you'd have to live with those aspects of the car.

irarref is online now Nowhere to put the shopping -The Ferrari F40 Club Member
    Name
    Jeff

I own a 1990 car so about as early as you can get and if I was buying another I wouldn't be concerned what version/year it was - certainly not worth paying a premium for. At the end of the day there all old LOL

There's a list of revisions here (although incomplete) https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/144103176/ and there's nothing exciting in there which would merit the expense of upgrading.

With regard to handling I think one journalist made the criticism which was then repeated until it became a full on factoid and lazy journalists just cut and paste the same old rubbish - in fact I've never seen an accurate review of the cars in any magazine article I've ever read. A lot of owners (including myself) have fitted spacers as IIRC the offsets on the spyder rear wheels were changed to improve handling.

I'd just ignore the year and prices and judge each car on it's merits - go and see a lot of them and you'll soon recognise a good one.

Name
    Pete

I certainly wouldn't buy a bad later model car rather than a good early one, I'd go for a good condition car every time. And I agree that much of what has been written about the cars is utter tripe and as Geoff says, merely lazy journalism.

I do think the suspension and balance changes probably do make a bit of a difference though. I'm not sure they would have made them if they didn't. You can argue against me if you like, Geoff, but I'm not 100% convinced you're the best person to mount a defence of the handling of the early cars...…….

Just pulling your leg
    Last edited by Nosevi; 19-08-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Name
    Mark Nash

Thanks for the help so far guys. The cars handling is something that would be important to me, So if the later model is better on that front I would be better holding out for one. Just got to try to be patient (which Iím not)

A348W is offline I don't use deodorant Club Member
    Name
    Adrian

I put the 25mm rear spacers on my 92. Made a difference in the back end felt more planted.

(For what I know about handling! )

Allandwf is offline Essex boy's Ford Capri Club Member
    Name
    Allan Fisher

Default 348

I wouldn't pay a premium fora late car, they will be 25 years old now. I would go for as well looked after as you can afford, unless you like tinkering. In real world driving there won't be much difference.

Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Allandwf View Post
    I wouldn't pay a premium fora late car, they will be 25 years old now. I would go for as well looked after as you can afford, unless you like tinkering. In real world driving there won't be much difference.
    It’s not really anything to do with the age, it’s what they did and why they did it. They made some specific changes for a specific reason. I agree, unless you get near the edge it’ll make little or no difference. I certainly don’t drive on a public road in a way where it’d make much difference. But all things being equal an earlier car would find the limit fractionally sooner (the difference between the two you probably won’t notice) and when it goes it’ll go faster and be harder to catch (which you probably would).

All of that said, spacers and a light sports exhaust in place of the heavy lump which is the original system isn’t a bad move to improve handling on all variants of 348.
    Last edited by Nosevi; 19-08-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Name
    Mark Nash

Sounds like spacers is something to add to the to-do list. So is it just the rear that people do? So leave it front as it?

Name
    ian

Quote Originally Posted by A348W View Post
    I put the 25mm rear spacers on my 92. Made a difference in the back end felt more planted.

(For what I know about handling! )
    I did the same with my 92ts.. drove a later model and to be honest could not tell the difference.. battery easier to get to on early models !!!!.... just get the best one you can find.. forget early or late..mine had 72k miles on it when sold and it ranbetter than when i got it with 27k..
    I still miss mine 😣😣😣

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast